Schuberth C3 Helmet Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Traveling Man, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Phactory Phil

Phactory Phil n00b

Oddometer:
    We're going to be approaching the forehead issues in terms of short- to long-term solutions:

1) We're looking into the different headliner thicknesses and interchangeability to see if a different liner will fit and help reduce pressure

2) Revise the liner so that the sewn seam isn't so thick, or that the pressure is distributed over a wider area

3) Revise the interior shape of the EPS

Now don't go getting all excited, this is OUR plan to try and help more people enjoy the C3. Making significant changes in this kind of thing can be like steering a battleship. Nothing happens real fast, but we'll keep you posted.
  2. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    Now, that sounds better.
  3. Omer

Omer Brrrr

Oddometer:
    There is absolutely no need to remove the chin curtain when using the SRC system - the curtain does not interfere with the microphone in any way.

Incidentally, I own the Euro version of the C3 and had the same issue with the forehead dent.
    It also only came out on longer (4+ hour rides), and sorted itself out after a few of those.

Someone also asked about the battery life of the SRC system. It's quite good, lasts me around ~14 hours of almost non-stop use (80% of the time streaming Bluetooth music, accepting phone calls - the other 20% with it simply being on but not actively in use).
  4. ScottV

ScottV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted. :thumb
  5. Gizmo

Gizmo Hermes

Oddometer:
    I tried one on locally for 30 minutes and it fit well, with a snug and even pressure all around. I ended up ordering one from Revzilla who offers a free exchange or refund and just received mine on Wednesday. I wore it at home while watching TV and noticed some forehead pressure at 45 minutes to an hour of wear. Nothing serious, so I took it off for a while and put it back on later. Better, but again felt slight forehead discomfort. Last night at home, put the helmet back on for an hour and almost no discomfort, so I decided to keep it and in fact wore it on a short ride and then again to work today. All I can say is Wow! Noticably quieter, in fact the quietest helmet I have owned (had mostly Arai and a Shoei X-11). Extremely stable, no buffeting at speed, and no strain on my neck when turning my head for a traffic check. The airflow is significant and the best I have had. It is a very well made helmet. I have yet to go on a long ride, but I am confident the helmet will break in over time and be even more wonderful. Also got the SRC and plan to install over the weekend. A very pricey helmet indeed and I was hesitant to spend $700 beans on a helmet, but so far glad I did. On another note, I also got one for my wife (C3W) and it gave her a significant hot spot and pressure on her forehead at about 15 minutes of wear. Like me, she tried it a few times, with the same result and the pain and discomfort was too much, so we sent it back for a refund. Unfortunately for her the Shuby did not work.
  6. robsong

robsong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Lucky thanks for the info. That makes me feel very good about trying one. I think I have a more rounded headshape as well. I did try one on the other day and its hard to tell what long term be. But do feel better knowing both the Quantum 2 and C3 fit you well...
  7. RockemRdr

RockemRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you. My helmet fits fine. It is the awful seam that that tatoos my forehead. The impression lasts for a day after wearing the helmet for a few hours. It is only painful if I wear it for 4 or more hours. When wearing it that long the seam tatoo is still there in the morning.

8. roberttran

roberttran Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine is out for delivery today. Excited to try it when I get home!
    I ordered a Small so I hope it fits. I measured my head and it fits right on the low end of the small for Schuberth. I wear an HJC Medium right now and know it's a bit too large.
  9. zenwhipper

zenwhipper Slabventurer

Oddometer:
    I spent about 30 minutes in a C3 at the local BMW dealer and developed a fore head hot spot. I like the helmet but did not buy it out of concern for head pain.

For those who have done some internal foam work, how was it working with Schuberth's "...specially optimized EPS foam" (see pic below)? It looks different from most helmet foams and feels harder to the touch than regular EPS foam.

Thanks for the help mates.

Can anyone post a pic of their modded internal foam?? :clap

Scott

[​IMG]
  10. HOGnDAS

HOGnDAS not a n00b just lost alot

Oddometer:
    I tried one on for about 30 min. at the dealers and while it feels like high quality all around I wasn't sold. I felt like my jaw and the back of my neck were exposed and unprotected. I have grown used to the feel of the Arai X3 and the way it covers more. Plus that sun visor is worth it's weight in gold to me. Think I'll wait for the next gen.
  11. Malapple

Malapple n00b

Oddometer:
    Would really appreciate photos or detail about this as well.

I have a C3 and really like it... but after about 45 minutes I have the hot-spot problem. I don't actually feel it until quite a bit longer, but the 45 minute point is where it shows up. And stays visible for at least 30 minutes.

Given that long distance riding and commuting is my thing, it means that I cannot really use the lid much.

A couple of other points - I'm happy that a lot of people don't seem to have this problem. But given how many -have- had it, I don't think it's exactly right to dismiss it as a non concern.

Also, it's a bit frustrating as you cannot really discover it until you've worn it far longer than most anyone would when trying them on.
  12. GHanson

GHanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to chime in on the forehead furrow phenomenon: when I first got the helmet I got the hotspot after half an hour, just like in the pictures.

I'll admit, I thought about doing a little sculpting with my Sawzall, but what I ended up doing was taking my right thumb and pressing on the EPS under the liner at the appropriate spot. Worked like a charm. So far I've ridden for six hours and no hot spot.

That was easy.
  13. Mike M

Mike M Long-timer... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've always worn a full face Shoei---right now an X11 for the past 5 years---so its time to get a new helmet.

I want to like a flip-up lid but I figure that I'd probably be tempted to ride with it in the open position from time to time in very hot weather. I also wonder what would happen if you go down on the chin bar---would it snap open?

Also, I tried a C3 on and it's a frickin' huge helmet (just it's overall diameter)!
  14. red-line

red-line n00b

Oddometer:

Hi Motodisiac, (and all those of you who have a scala installed on your C3),

This is my first post here on this forum. (Long time lurker)

I took a look at the thread you mentioned. Looking at the pics of the scala installed on the C3, does having the scala installed through the neck roll and leaving such a gap not defeat the purpose of the neck roll and let wind noise into the helmet?

I just bought a C3, and was contemplating installing my scala, but am worried that wind noise will be introduced into the helmet by doing so.

Thanks
  15. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use an X11 too, and everything else I try on feels huge compared to it.
  16. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    I did not notice any noise increase after Scala installation. You are making tiny passage through the neck roll and it's mostly sealed by flexible mic body.

Since then I actually upgraded to SRC system anyways. :D

D.

17. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    I don't think it's the passage of the anything throgh the neck roll, it's the not-too-aerodynamic Scala unit mounted on the outside of the helmet that creates more wind noise. I could notice more noise on the left side of my Shoei RF1000 after I installed the Scala.
  18. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    So, what were the "tips" to help during the break in period....?? Dented forehead people want to know:D
  19. Nacho911

Nacho911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love mine. Fits like a skull stocking> :lol3
  20. Omer

Omer Brrrr

Oddometer:
    I'll drop this in here, though might start a new thread to hear if anyone else experienced this -

Re: the Schuberth SRC system - Honeymoon is over; left speaker stopped working after ~2 months for no apparent reason.

While riding along, left speaker suddenly cut off, came back for a few seconds, then died. Taking out the SRC collar and poking around at the relevant wires (through the shroud - did not want to void my warranty - produced no improvement). Probably unrelated, but this did come up 1 day after the update to 3.0.x.

SRC sent back to Schuberth Germany as local retailer wouldn't replace it.

And this 2 weeks before a 10 day trip.

Would be interested to know if anyone experienced a similar issue.