Upgrading to a middleweight Sport Tourer

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Butters, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    I had a 93 K1100LT for 2.5 years/44k+ miles
    [​IMG]
    Great bike. Comfy, good ergos and weather protection. Loved the ABS and FI. Didn't like the maintenance and when it broke down it was always 1K+. I had to let her go when the tranny dropped 2nd gear.

Spent the next 2 years on a 2002 FZ1. 20k+ miles
    [​IMG]
    Another awesome bike. Wicked, "get in trouble" fast. Great inline 4, big change from the barcalounger that was the LT. Still comfy, but head buffeting and zero wind protection got me tired quick. Absolutely bulletproof, almost boring. Valve checks every 26k! Didn't miss the FI and ABS as much as I thought I would. I did miss hard case saddlebags and some fairing though. Cheapest, most reliable bike I've ever owned by far. Gas, oil, chain/sprockets, tires and brakes.

After I moved to CA a year ago I bought my current bike, an 07 Tiger 1050ABS. Put on about 4k miles in 8mons so far. (pathetic I know...working and bought a house)
    [​IMG]
    On paper it's got...light weight, half fairing, great engine/tranny, FI, ABS, great ergos, luggage, and looks badass!
    On the tarmac its the perfect blend of the comfort of the LT and the sportiness of the FZ1 with modern-day tech and good reliability. It's extremely flickable solo or can be loaded up for a weekend with the wife. The range isn't the greatest. (185+/- miles/tank) With the right aftermarket (Cee Bailey screen, heated grips, handguards, crashbars with highway pegs, rox risers, etc) it's a mile-eating tourer.

For an entry price of around 6k, it's hard to beat. Save some money to get the suspension done....the rear is passable with new springs, but the forks blow. Race Tech springs, gold valves and heavier wt oil fixes them pretty good.

I know I'm a wordy sumbitch, but I came from a similar bike ownership position as you and figured I would share my experience.

Good luck, and post pics of that bish when you buy!
  2. scrannel

scrannel Scrannel

Oddometer:
    Great thread. This is exactly why I wish HD had a V-Rod in this "division". I know it's a bit heavy but would make a hell of a road-eating sport-tourer.
  3. LandPirateMBC

LandPirateMBC Full blown child

Oddometer:
    I agree with what all the people are saying about the vfr. Sounds perfect for you. I have one and its a dream.
  4. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    As much as I hated posting another "which bike should I get" thread, this has really provided me a lot of information. At the very least, it has talked me down from jumping on the V-Strom 0% deal. I may still end up on a Wee, but there's no rush. There's clearly a long list of bikes I need to look at more closely and there are some bikes I simply never considered. I'm also surprised at how many people have been looking at similar bikes for similar reasons and hopefully this thread will help other as well.

To follow up on some later posts . . .

I did test ride a 2002 R1150R (prior to owning my K). The R1XXXR bikes are one of my favorites (visually). The test ride, however, was pretty underwhelming. The bike had a low seat installed and a full touring shield. So it really wasn't set up how I would like it and therefore I haven't written off the R bikes. But the one I rode I wouldn't consider much of an upgrade over my K bike. I'm hoping at some point to ride a newer K bike (that hasn't had the ergos butchered) as I don't think my test ride gave them a fair shake (or I'm in denial because I like the looks so much). Some things I tolerate on a 25 year old K bike, I'm less forgiving on a bike built in the last ten years. I didn't have any issues with the EFI and ABS on the R bike, but it seems like it could have been lifted from a late 80's K.

As I rode my K bike in to work today I also came to the conclusion that I could likely be perfectly comfortable even if the rider position was a few degrees more forward (and it might make it a bit less cumbersome through the turns). I am less concerned (to a degree) about the weight on my arms and shoulders than I am about holding my fat head upright. I should probably also spend some more time at cycle-ergo.
  5. achtung3

achtung3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know what your stature and confort position, but I will tell you by my experience, no bike is perfect from stock to everyone and if you can not figure out what the bike really needs to make it your own ride, it is fruitless to ask strangers for any advice.

Good luck and have fun on your ride(s).:norton
  6. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    I still have the K . . . for now.

But I have taken the advice in this thread to heart. I took a trip on the K over the Easter weekend and pondered replacements and what I would want. I am definitely reconsidering my desire for a bike with a more upright seating position. It's pretty much all I have owned, so maybe I just think it's more comfortable. I do think a more forward position would be more enjoyable in the twisties.

I have tried to check out a couple bikes suggested:

Tiger 1050: I went to a local dealer with one as I was really thinking this was the ideal bike. When I got there, it had a "sold" sign on it, so I couldn't even sit on it :baldy. But what really hit me was how big it is - nice looking, but big. I have to admit it took me back a bit. I still would love to ride one, but I think seeing it in person dropped it down a few rungs. Especially now that I am starting to doubt my desire for a more upright position. Certainly still high on the list though.

The VFR (VTEC): The more I researched VFRs, the more I started to think this might be it. I'm still not a fan of the full fairing, but it seemed like the fun factor may make up for it. They are dirt cheap and stone reliable. Although I still don't understand how they are over 500 pounds, they have the performance to overcome it. I found one at a local dealer and sat on it. It's definitely at the very limit of what I think I could handle as a forward lean. But I imagine I might be able to change it with an up and back set up if I couldn't just learn to accept it. They're cheap enough, I might even be willing to take a flyer on one.

Bandit 1250: An area dealer has a cherry Bandit with matching bags and a Corbin seat. I haven't checked it out yet, but I love the look. The seating position seems like it would be a bit more aggressive than my K, but much more relaxed than the VFR. I'm not real fond of the 550 pound weight, but all that low end grunt is really appealing. I'm hoping to check it out in the near future.

F800ST: This one keeps popping back on the radar mainly because it looks like the perfect bike on paper. More sporty ergos, yet milder than the VFR. Relatively light weight too. But also about $2K more than a similar VFR. Honestly, the biggest strike against the F800ST for me is the fact I currently own 2 BMWs. If I sell one to buy yet another BMW I might have to join a country club or attend the Catalina Wine Mixer. Seriously, although I am neither pro nor anti BMW, I wouldn't mind getting a different brand in the stable.

Other bikes are also still in the running (Strom, Versys, GSX-F), but I think the ones above are the favorites.

One thing I have decided is that I am going to put the K up for sale. I really worry that I will regret selling the K, but I'm hoping I have scratched my K bike itch enough and the replacement will be enough of an improvement that the memory of my K will be sufficient to tide me over.

Thanks for all the input and feel free to offer a anything new.
  7. istephens

istephens FJR Pilot

Oddometer:
    I've been through all the posts in this thread and I'm quite surprised that no one mentioned the FJR1300.

It may seem like its too "big" to be a middle-weight, but I do not find mine too heavy and commute with it every day.

There are many low mile FJRs for sale on fjrforum.com, ie a 2007 reasonable miles for $7800.

[​IMG]

Ian
  8. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Just my 2 cents but I think you will get bored quickly with the wee. It's a great value and dead solid reliable, but it's, well, boring. Good for going down the road, steady in wind, and the gears/engine perform well. Not so good in the curves, oversold as a dualsport. Somewhere I thought you mentioned you didn't want tall - it's TALL.

The Triumphs are a good option, and there are good deals out there on them. The R1200R would be a nice bike, and it's no problem to add a windscreen and bags. Not sure why you aren't looking at a GS if you want an upright riding position. Might seem too tame for you, but it's a very comfortable, reliable bike. For affordability, you can find 1150s and even 1100s with low miles if you look and wait. The 1100GS is a very sweet ride. If I had an 800ST, I would change the handle bars to raise it up, but the light weight is very attractive. Belt, good gearing and easy motor.
  9. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    FJR: I love the looks of the FJR. But after actually seeing one next to me on the road, they are just plain massive. Sure, they have the power to compensate, but I'll never need all that space. For whatever reason, however, they're one of the only fully faired bikes that I really like the looks of.

I'm really not too concerned about seat height. I'm 5'8", but both my current bikes have tall seat heights. So seat height certainly isn't a deal breaker, but 31" would certainly be preferred over a 33" seat height. Since I don't plan to go offroad on this new bike, it would pretty much go to waste. But I guess it comes with the territory on the larger dual sports.

ADVBMR - Your comments about the V-Strom essentially mirror my opinion of it. While I think they are bulletproof bikes and a great value which cover many of my requirements, I can't help but think there's a better bike for me which may have a bit more power and be a bit more fun in the turns. I just can't bring myself to write it off because it's such a value and I find myself thinking "Maybe it could be good enough." Frankly, my K75 is "good enough" and if I'm making a change I want there to be a fairly big improvement.
  10. Yostwerks

Yostwerks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As you can tell from the posts, there's a lot of great choices out there. It's up to you to test as many different sport tourers as possible and decide for yourself.
    If you want comfort and power combined with lots of fun in the twisties, give the Triumph Sprint ST triple a look.

I've owned an ST-1100, Concours, and FJR 1300 and for me none of them could match the all-round performance and fun factor of the Sprint.
    The Aprilia Futura is certainly another excellent sport tourer to consider. If you are concerned that the V-Strom 650 is underpowered, consider the
    V-Strom 1000 or the Triumph Tiger if that style of bike appeals to you. I can only comment on these bikes as I've ridden them.

[​IMG]
  11. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    I'd certainly consider a Sprint for the same reasons as a VFR. I have heard the Sprint has even more aggressive ergos than the VFR. If true, that doesn't excite me quite as much. The VFR seemed like it was already at my limits of comfort, if not beyond. The prices on used Sprints seem very reasonable.

Although I don't see them as much, I'm wondering if I couldn't make a Honda 599/919 into a nice sport tourer with some bags and a small windscreen.
  12. Yostwerks

Yostwerks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It depends on which year and which model Sprint you are referring to.

From 2007 on, the Sprint ST 1050 had raised bars and I can assure you it's got a much less agressive riding position
    than my son's VFR 800. In fact, it's almost too upright for me.

The only change I made to my 2008 Sprint was to install MFW adjustable footpegs for a more relaxed knee position. The newer Sprint GT also has a "non-agressive" riding position :1drink

Like I said earlier, find the the bikes you are intersted in ..... and ride them. Otherwise you'll likely go crazy thinking about it.

With a few mods emphasizing comfort and utility, many bikes can achieve sport touring status.

Here's my Aprilia Falco before and after Givi panniers, top box, Heli-bars, and a Sargent saddle. It's become an excellent, and fun, sport touring bike :D

Sport ....
    [​IMG]

Touring ....
    [​IMG]
  13. BalancePoint

BalancePoint Regional idiot, formerly just local.

Oddometer:
    Not suggesting this bike as option, but an observation...
    When I changed out my R1200GS for a Honda ST1300, I was- and continue to be- astounded at how big a factor a low CG is comparatively when dealing with a motorcycle's weight. In almost every sense, I find myself disbelieving the reality that my Honda weighs 200 lbs more than the GS did. The one place I notice the weight is when I fail to plan for it when parking the bike. There are other plain differences, but not nearly as much as the scales would suggest.
    Point being, don't let absolute weight be too big a factor in the hunt, especially for a highway bike.
  14. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was in a similar-ish crossroads in the motorcycle buying world and as of 3 weeks ago i brought home nearly new VFR800. No regrets at all! While the seating position is a little forward for my tastes also (it was cramping my wrists), I have been learning to adapt my riding positions ever so slightly to avoid additional and unnecessary pressure.

So far i LOVE the bike!

Edit: Despite the heavier weight, the steering is effortless... The whole riding experience is effortless, perhaps too much as some people think they are boring...
  15. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    That's pretty much my thinking in now leaning toward more aggressive ergos. I'm also looking into the cheaper bikes. I figure if I can get a bike for not much more money than I get for the sale of my K bike, I can take a flyer on it. If the ergos don't work out, I guess I'll be selling another bike next year. Which would mean I'll be buying another one next year too.:evil

The K75 is officially in the Fla Market now. You know, in case anybody is interested.:deal
  16. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    You wrote you'd regret selling the K75 and I agree. I've had one. Sold it. Later bought another. Sold that. Now I am going off to the flea market to look at yours.
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal the only thing between want and did is do Supporter

Oddometer:
    Either of these two bikes would be a great choice IMO for great handling, durability, good range and lightweight.

On the left is my buddies 99 VFR800, last generation with the gear driven cams. Sparkling examples are still to be had for under 4 grand.

On the right is my SV650. Over 100,000 miles and comfy and confident with some minor mods to get rid of the stock stretched out seating position. Also can be had cheap, leaving plent of dough left to tinker and farkle with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]:evil

They are special bikes, especially if you like that look. I'm continually amazed that mine over 25 years old. A part of me figures I could just get another if I miss it too much. But I realize it would be hard to justify the money on another one to get it into the shape of this one. By selling I will certainly lose half the money I have invested into this one over the last year. But honestly, I don't regret it as it was worth it to scratch the itch and it made me appreciate stret riding even more. And if I end up having to keep it, well I can certainly live with that. When I made the "for sale" ad, I realized I'd owned it exactly one year and put just over 4000 miles on it. Logic would dictate I should just keep it if I'm only going to ride it that little.

But then, motorcycles aren't very logical.:wink:
  19. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think it is in the flea market yet, is it? I do prefer the K75C set-up you have, I went to the C handlebars on both of my K75S's, had the same hand guards too, etc. The big expense on the K's, to me, is a getting better suspension, the forks aren't so bad with a spring kit, but a good shock is $$. Anyhow, NoVa seems to be Northern Virginia - kinda a stretch for me because I'm in NorCal - Northern California. And lately I've just been riding in town - the K is too much heft for that.
  20. Kestrel

Kestrel N/A

Oddometer:
    Re: the VFR... While it may be slightly more aggressive than something like a K75, it's going to have a sportbike inspired chassis, rather than a steel framed soggy noodle, and it'll actually handle like a proper motorbike. I think you'll find that the VFR is probably to this day one of the best bargains in motorcycling if you're looking for the 'gentleman's sportbike', a bit of sport with a bit of comfort and tour mixed in. There is a reason why it won best bike for god knows how many years in a row. It performs its task as a perfect crossover *very* well.

My XR will be on the chopping block shortly. It'll be replaced by a VFR sometime this summer, which will then be prepped and taken on a month long cross country excursion toward the end of summer, either west to CO/UT/NV/WY/MT, or north to Nova Scotia & Newfoundland. It is one of the only bikes that would do the highway hall to get there in comfort, while still allowing you to rail the twisties upon arrival.

For what you specified, it would probably work pretty damned well. If the lean bothers you that much, there are Helibars and other options available to raise the clipons. That said, a slightly more forward riding position is generally not the worst thing in the world with a slightly more sporting bike. It allows for proper body positioning in the twisties, and while you may sacrifice a little bit of comfort en route, once in the twisties, I think you'll find that the position is actually fairly comfortable and conducive the to the type of riding you would do on a VFR. Honda engineered it quite well for its task, from an ergonomic viewpoint.

While I prefer the early 3rd/4th/5th gen VFRs, ABS would be available on a late model, and you could probably score a pristine model with ABS, and have it outfitted with bags for under 5k. That's a *lot* of money left over for tires and gas. And if you don't like it, stick it back up for sale and try again. But for the kind of riding you hinted at, the VFR is the ticket IMO.