ADV Riders in Chile

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by BjoernTheH, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Callao3181

Callao3181 Mike Rafferty

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled across this thread and what a treat! I am living and working in Santiago, and my ride is an f800gs. Have done some touring in the north (that's how i got here the first time), and looking forward to wandering south.

That's all I got -- just passing my "howdies"
  2. BjoernTheH

BjoernTheH Chile

Oddometer:
    Great news Callao - just let us all know when you go south and see if we can meet up here for a ride.
    cheers
    B.

3. Rafagas

Rafagas Rafagas

Oddometer:
    Attention riders go to south for gas suply in Argentina, you can waite for 2 to 7 days to get some litters, problems start in Angostura, el bolson, rio mayo, rio Senguer, 3 lagos y Chalten.

The gas pump are empthy .............................[​IMG]

We have to pay 3000 pesos for transport plus the gas cost for leave Chalten to Chile

[​IMG]
  4. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi. Dave here. I am in Northern Chile moving south. I have noting planned for Christmas when I will be in southern Chile Argentina. So open to suggestions. Also PM me re seeing a portion of the Dakar. Dave
  5. BjoernTheH

BjoernTheH Chile

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's a bummer!!! - I had a similar situation in "El Calafate" but after a day and 5 hours of cewing we could go on - good thing is in Argentina that there is always gas to find on the black market somehow but they charge you what ever they want. Therefore its good to know the language though.
    Good luck on your jurney
    B.

6. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are the gas problems still happening in El Calafate? A group from the US will be there the 10-11th and will let them know the status. I will also be there then on a photo. shoot and plan on meeting up with them. Thanks for the info.
  7. BjoernTheH

BjoernTheH Chile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but I do not really have an answar for you - it is an on and off problem there and if you are lucky you will not have a problem and if you are not and show some charme and spanglish or even proper spanish you should not have a problem to get gas asking around in town - for sure they will charge you a bit more though, but you keep going.
    just be optimistic and its going to work out alright and if not tell us your tale :ear
    cheers
    b.

8. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just arrived in Santiago, waiting for customs to release my bike in Valparaiso. Will be traveling over to Buenos Aires, then down to Ushuaia, back up along the Andes for the next six weeks.

If you see a rider in a hi-viz yellow jacket on a silver BMW , Texas license, loaded down panniers with ADV stickers on the back, stop me and we'll swap stories over coffee or a brew.

Bjoern, IceRider said to say hello. His WR250 is on the same boat as my bike.

CCjon
  9. BjoernTheH

BjoernTheH Chile

Oddometer:
    Hey CCjon,
    that sounds good to me and am sure you are going to have a great trip - good to do the pampa in Argentina first and keep the best for the end. Ushuaia - Torres del Paine - Carretera Austral - Lake region just stunning and you will have great weather for sure!!! they say its going to be a rather dry summer
    keep me updated when you are on your way back up I am going to be arround Pucon - Temuco area.
    looking forward to ride with Icerider soon.
    Cheers and good luck on your trip
    Bjoern:clap:clap:clap

10. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am going to be in Puerto Natales 12/25 Anyone for Christmas dinner? Dave
  11. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you stop in Pto. Natales, go to REMOTA HOTEL, not to spend the night there because it won't be in your budget (ultra expensive), this hotel was created to enjoy the sorunding landscape as unique work of art and architecture. Like the Explora hotels in the atacama desert and the one in Torrres del Paine.

Go in and ask for Claudio Molina, tell him that you know Gaston the logistic guy form ADV rider for South America. He wil invite oyu to zip a good wine .

Enjoy it
  12. Salva

Salva @shp224

Oddometer:
    Punta Arenas, Chile; Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Hey, I live part of my time in Punta Arenas and will be there by the end of the year. I'd be glad to share a beer or some Kms with any rider that shows up down there.
    Best
    Salva
  13. BjoernTheH

BjoernTheH Chile

Oddometer:
    yesterday, Sunday 18th of December Y passed by a fellow inmate 2 up on a BMW aprox 30 minutes south of Santiago - german licence plates if I have seen that alright - me in a red pick up truck making weird signs and honking the horn and he on the bike leaving the Ruta 5 in Buin. Maybe he has a look in here and he might have wondered what I wanted. Well just wanted to say hello. :freaky
    I also saw some (maybe NZ) guys on Honda Tornados thundering down south - very brave!!!

maybe I see some people around Pucon for Xmas.

Cheers
    B.

14. BjoernTheH

BjoernTheH Chile

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas to everybody riding around Chile/Argentina at the moment.
    Cheers:freaky
    B.
  15. Kiwiham

Kiwiham n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi B,:1drink

Thanks for starting this tread. Myself and my cousin Joe are Kiwis currently in El Calafate Argentina for Christmas then we are going to have a look around Torres del Paine NP. We are planning to be in Ushuaia for New years eve. We have been riding for three weeks now of a 4 month trip. Shipped our bikes over from New Zealand. Would be nice to catch up with any other Adventure riders in Ushuaia at New Years eve.

See our blog , which is work in progress. wwwgoldenbaytocapehorn.blogspot.com

Rob & Joe:freaky
  16. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rob & Joe,
    am in Bahia Blanca now, plan to photograph Christmas celebrations in the main square tonight.

Will be there in Ushuaia to hoist one or two cold ones and ring in the new year.
    Do you know where you are staying yet?

CCjon on a silver BMW 1150 adventure.
  17. Kiwiham

Kiwiham n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Not 100% sure where we will be . But heard that people gather at Camp ground just inside the NP in Usshuaia. Currently in Puertto Natales.
    Look out for a blue Yamaha Tenere 660 and a white Suzuki DR650´.
    Rob and Joe.
  18. BjoernTheH

BjoernTheH Chile

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob and Joe,
    dont know if you remember but we met on Icalma Pass on the Argentinian side - me and my girlfriend translated for you there. haha - smal world, isnt it.
    I celebrated last new year on the very same camping site. we gathered like 14 riders from all over the world.
    So good luck and stay save!
    Cheers
    B.:1drink

19. Kiwiham

Kiwiham n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi B,

Thanks for your help the other day. I can't believe that we ran into you. I have been onto the Chile ADV site quite abit. Joe and I are in Puerto Arenas I'm waiting foe a tyre to arrive and I need a small welding job done. Off to Ushuaia on the 30th. I assume this camp ground just inside the NP is easy to find ?.

Rob
  20. Acampao

Acampao WInd Jammer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I guess you will no longer be in Punta Arenas when I get back next week, but let me know if I you need tips/contacts while in that part of the world. I work for a kiwi firm and spend most of my time there. Ride an R12GSA.

A