JTH's HD 883 Dual Sport'ster conversion

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by JimmyTheHog, Feb 4, 2011.

1. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! thanks Jimmy, that's more than I was looking for but exactly what I need! I'm not cleared for actual physical work yet but at least I can start gathering parts, we've still got at least 8 weeks of winter left here, Hope to have my Sport on the road and off for the spring thaw! :clap
  2. JimmyTheHog

JimmyTheHog Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got the message from Evan on the tank - he wont know the cost of a production run version until he makes the first one. So, we'll have to wait and see.
  3. RSRennsport

RSRennsport Navigator

Oddometer:
    I am fairly new to this group even though I have been in the business for some time and you probably heard it all before, but I must say, that your build is the most inspiring task I have seen in a very long time. Well thought through and well executed. A prime example on how it should be done.

I know Willy G wouldn't agree, but the hell with him. :lol3
  4. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    Got my bike back last night with the new 1250cc kit, cams, carb rejet - I was having serious withdrawls. Took it out for a short ride - extra power feels great, but still breaking it in, so not reving it too high yet. The real fun will begin after 150mile break in.

I went with black cylinders - thought it went well with the color scheme of the bike. Here are a few pics..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    I installed the new skid plate today too ~ after some minor rework. I had the rear mounting holes off by almost an inch - Oops :hmmmmm- Oh well, it was an easy rework.

Installation takes one bolt / nut in the front, and two bolts underneath with mounting bracket to the frame.

The install... Front bolt first makes it easy to get your hand behind the frame mount to install the nut on the bolt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Danger4u2

Danger4u2 KX500 is Danger4u2 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you considering it done? Or are there other items your still working on. More tweaks? May I ask why you used an 883 and didn't start with the 1200 sporty? You've done well, I like it.
    ADpete likes this.
  7. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    No, its close but not quite done. Here's the list of remaining tweaks / components:
    - Headlight mounting brackets - gets rid of the hose clamps-to-fork tubes mounting. On order
    - Kickstand - The one i made is from another bike and lengthened. Im making a new one from scratch now that i designed
    - Tweak the design of the front blinker brackets - so same blinkers front & rear can be used. Currently both different
    - Anodize the rear rack, tool kit plate, and skid plate - clear anodize
    - Paint the tank black w/ silver sides and top, and black scorpion logo & red letters "scorpion"
    - And lastly, a 5.5 gal gas tank - Im on the wait list to have this made, but wont be done until later this year.

Then I will claim it "done". Im exhausted just thinking about it :stoned

I went with the 883 because I found a good deal on a clean one. If I would have found a nice 1200 when i was looking, I would have bought it instead.
  8. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Looking great, Jim!!!

Add a Li Ion battery to that list and drop another 10 pounds of the bike. :deal
  9. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    You just reminded me - I forgot to add that i just installed one today. It cranks great (much needed with the 1250 and cams) and its noticably lighter having removed those 10 lbs from up high. That, plus adding the skid plate weight down low, was a noticable change.

There seems to be some reliability debate on these though - cold weather issues ? Maybe it was for the earlier models ? Not sure, but for a 10 lb savings, Im willing to give it a try and see how it does.

You can see it in this picture a bit better...

[​IMG]
  10. merc16

merc16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't wait to hear details about the kit for this.
  11. Straightedge

Straightedge Skin Donor

Oddometer:
    Cuh-lean. Wish my bikes looked this good...
  12. JN3n

JN3n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is RaceTech building your new tank ?
    I like your bike . The cool factor is way up there...
  13. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    No, its Evan Wilcox Hand Formed Metal. He does one-off's and limited production stuff. He's at www.wilcoxmetal.com.

Does RaceTech make tanks ???
  14. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Cool!!

I went with a Ballistic battery after hearing about all the problems with the Shorai. The battery on my BMW project was 14 pounds and I put a 2.5 pound battery back in. :wink:
  15. JN3n

JN3n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I met the guy who made your tank at the San Jose swap meet . Nice Guy
    RaceTec is in Oxnard and he has been making gas tanks, race car goodies etc. for along time . He makes beautiful and functional tanks flat track bikes I have built. Fred @ RaceTec 805- 486-6500
  16. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    Thanks much for the lead ! I had asked Storz who the tank fabricator was, and they "respectfully" declined to answer. I'll give him a call. Since he already has the form or whatever he uses to shape the tracker tank, it may be an easy mod to add some more volume. Im sure Evan will do a nice job though too.

Thanks again!
  17. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    New shift lever hot of the mill. The previous one was a combination of two levers - a new machined lever + an existing spline piece pressed and pinned together. I did this since we didnt have a serration broach tool at the time.

[​IMG]
    DR790 likes this.
  18. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How tall is the bike?
  19. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    It has a ~35.5" seat height, and is ~33" with me on the bike. I cant flat foot it, but both feet can touch the ground without too much stretch.
  20. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    What cam did u go with? And what level of head work?