Tour of Honor 2014

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by 100cccer, Feb 2, 2014.

1. 100cccer

100cccer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On April 1, the seven memorial sites will be released for the biggest state, as well as for the lower 48 and Hawaii. Butch Rudowski, of Anchorage, is the Alaska state sponsor and has written a wonderful page on traveling by motorcycle there. Or renting.

It's still being worked on (we're still searching for the perfect photo), but check it out HERE.

And if you can suggest or contribute a great motorcycle-themed photo, give me a holler.

[​IMG]
  2. 100cccer

100cccer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On April 1, 300 selected destinations will be released in 49 states, including Alaska and Hawaii, to visit up until October 31. This is a self-directed ride to honor American heroes, and a great way to see the country.

It’s a great way to see the country because the sites are spread out in each state, and many feature local motorcycle roads. TOH is a self-directed, AMA Grand Tour ride.

Any rider who visits all seven memorials in any state or “region” will receive a Finisher’s pin and certificate at the end of the year. The ride lends itself to IBA rides with special IBA/TOH certificates for riding to four of the sites on an Iron Butt pace. IBA also gives out “Saddlesore Extreme” certificates for riding to all seven sites in a state. All IBA rules apply.

Also, the 1st three riders to visit all seven sites in a state win a trophy (limit of 3 trophies per rider).

Registration is $75 which buys swag, rally flag, and a donation to the rider’s choice of charity: Fisher House Foundation, American Legion’s Operation Comfort Warriors, or Police and Fire: The Fallen Heroes.

Many riders comment that it’s the best reason they’ve had to ride in a long time, the ultimate “kitchen pass.”

Sites are released on the website at 0001 hours (EST), April 1. Find out more at Tour of Honor.

[​IMG]
  3. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    First thought was - here we go again, another Hoka Hey rip-off. But looking over the TOH site reveals that this is something I can support. :thumb The riders list contains many familiar names, people you won't put something over on. So... looking forward to seeing the list of memorials in order to do some planning. One more good reason for riding.

Spring is just around the corner. :D (Or so I keep telling myself.:wink:)
  4. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you come down outta hibernation and pay a visit to Glennallen? You have been pretty scarce for a while. Marty Hill and I were chatting about you on Saturday@@
  5. 100cccer

100cccer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No prize money involved! Although there's a slight competitive aspect for the 117 handsome trophies. :D

It'll be interesting to see who gets the trophies in Alaska. State sponsors aren't eligible for 1st place trophies in their state for 1 week because of their advantage of knowing where the sites are.

Snowmobiles can be substituted! In fact, we'll provide a free t-shirt to whoever provides a photo of snowmobile, rally flag and a memorial. And the snowmobile has to be on the ground. On snow.
  6. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    Dadgum hot weather woke me up early this spring! Imagine - 41° and raining in Slana... IN JANUARY!! fercryinoutloud. :ddog But fortunately, winter has returned. 26 below yesterday morning so I know I'm still in Alaska. :D

No wonder my ears were burning. Whatever I am being accused of, I have no recollection of doing. I wasn't even there, wherever it was. :evil
  7. caminante

caminante Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This looks fun. (And perfect for me, seeing as I'm a vet and I'm prepping to do an Iron Butt National Parks Tour this summer.) Thanks for the heads up! :1drink
  8. OzarkDave

OzarkDave Army Veteran

Oddometer:
    Can you do this ride over several days/weeks, like visit one today then go for a second one in a couple of weeks and so on?

The seven that I visit have to be all in One state.

Dave
  9. caminante

caminante Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ozark Dave

From what I could tell from the website, so long as you hit seven between April 1 and October 31, you qualify. Not all in one day and based on what they're saying over there, not all in one state. They only way it gets technical is if you want a trophy, in which case you have to be one of the first three to hit all seven in one state. (I'll leave that to others, I just want to finish.)

Cheers
  10. 100cccer

100cccer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, any seven sites in any state will qualify for finisher status. Many riders get hooked and can't just stop at seven. :-)

Also, if you want to do an Iron Butt run while visiting any four memorials, you get a special certificate from Iron Butt Association. And a SS1K-Extreme certificate is awarded if you visit all seven in a state while on an Iron Butt run.

The rules are found here: http://tourofhonor.com/pages/rules.html
  11. OzarkDave

OzarkDave Army Veteran

Oddometer:
    We'll I can't do seven sites in Illinois because I am 40 miles from Ky. No way am I going past Chacago! Maybe I can do seven in Ky. I thought I may get one from s. Il then one from mo one from in and so on. Maybe that's seven in a region like that. Unless that region line is close to me I should be able to do what I said above. I know I can go out as far as St. Louis, I did that in one day. You see I am now disabled vet and only have a dr200. I remember when I had a BMW k1100lt and went all the way to az to see my son, I couldn't even do that in a car now! How things change! Also I am 60 yr old. I never did anything like this, it should be fun.

Dave

Just looked at the site and it says:

2) Visit any 7 memorial sites to receive a finisher’s pin and certificate.

I should have looked at that site.
  12. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:
    Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska
    Sounds like a great opportunity to honor the veterans in my life!
  13. 100cccer

100cccer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just one more month until sites are released, and it's quite a lineup this
    year in Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah and New Mexico. In total, 49 states and 305 memorials to visit, a great way to see the country!

The Tour of Honor recognizes those groups and individuals who have paid
    the ultimate price, or are presently risking their lives, for American life,
    liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. A portion of registration fees goes to
    Fisher House Foundation, Operation Comfort Warriors (American Legion),
    or Police and Fire, The Fallen Heroes. TOH is AMA sanctioned and IBA
    approved.

Visit the Tour of Honor website to find out more!

[​IMG]
  14. riderjohn

riderjohn Tag Sniper

Oddometer:
    Sounds really cool.I think I'll do it.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    :clap
  16. 100cccer

100cccer Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. 100cccer

100cccer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's less than month until sites are released, and it's an outstanding lineup this
    year on the East Coast. There are a total of 49 states and 305 memorials to visit,
    a great way to see the country!

approved.

You can visit the Tour of Honor website to find out more.

[​IMG]
  18. 100cccer

100cccer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just one more month until sites are released, and it's quite a lineup in Alaska. There are a total of 49 states and 305 memorials to visit, a great way to see the country!

approved.

19. 100cccer

100cccer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's less than month until sites are released, and it's an outstanding lineup this
    year in the South East. There are a total of 49 states and 305 memorials to visit,
    a great way to see the country!

approved.

[​IMG]
  20. doc4216

doc4216 Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer:
    This is awesome! I'm super excited about this! Signing up now.