Posting Pics of Trailer Build?

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by thatboatguy, Oct 9, 2012.

1. thatboatguy

thatboatguy That Boat Guy

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I'm new to the group and asking before I post. Is this just side cars or is it OK to post pictures of a trailer build in this sub-forum?

I ride a KLR and I have to get to the point where I can carry my paragliding equipment and all my camping gear. I built a cargo pod that goes on the back deck but loading that to the moon with all my stuff is not the solution I'm looking for.

I look forward to some feedback on the trailer build.

Thanks

George
  2. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend °.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.

Oddometer:
  3. thatboatguy

thatboatguy That Boat Guy

Oddometer:
    Thanks! That's a vendor forum though eh? Where do people post their projects?

Edit: Found it by poking around which is what I should have done more of to start with. Sorry for the off topic.

George
  4. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    The Forum Directory entry for Hacks adds- "Sidecars & other cooleo 2+ wheeled moto-contraptions." Its easy to consider trailers towed by motorcycles as just one type of cool contraption used in the motorcycle environment.

If you seek websites detailing trailer builds, try the following link which includes three more at the page end:

Home Made Motorcycle Cargo Trailer

I tow something similar in the form of an Easy Trailer 830TA; a 48" x 40" tiny car trailer, which was modified for lighter duty work behind a 650cc Suzuki.
  5. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. ag_streak

ag_streak Failure is always an option Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. Bar None

Oddometer:
    Shipping weight 151lbs.
  8. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    . . . and find that it still could be towed by a scooter:

Trailer Signs Au

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. YOUNZ

YOUNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Bar None

Oddometer:
    WTF? I bought one of the Harbor Freight trailers and took the bill of sale and the MSO to the tag office and got it registered and tagged in NC no problem. Cost was reasonable. No inspection required.

Did the same in FL on another HF trailer.

Just did the Maine five year trailer tag for the NC HF trailer $99.00 total. Don't have to fool with it for five years.
    http://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/
  11. YOUNZ

YOUNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Pa. it is three times that, due to the enhanced inspection required on trailers that are home assembled. They want to discourage home built stuff on the highways. It's working.
  12. Bar None

Oddometer:
    Younz,
    We are talking about the Harbor Freight trailer, right and not some home built trailer?
    The Harbor Freight trailers are DOT certified and come with a manufacturer certificate of origin (MCO) and is not considered a home made trailer. Same documentation that you get on any trailer or vehicle that you purchase. Take that paperwork and the bill of sale and get the trailer registered.
  13. YOUNZ

YOUNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Pa. the kicker is, "home assembled"! They say they need to know that it was assembled correctly, thus the need to take it to an ENHANSED state inspector, for the reason stated. $$$$$ Again, the high FEE'S are to discourage this practice.
    It is another way to tax the middle class.........call it a FEE!
  14. Bar None

Oddometer:
    Younz,
    Never mind, I give up trying to explain the HF trailers to you. :norton
  15. YOUNZ

YOUNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What have you explained about HF trailers in Pa? If a trailer requires assembly in Pa. it needs to be inspected before a title will be issued in Pa. Whats to explain?
  16. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

What the hell is an "enhansed state inspector" ?

Or did you mean , enhanced ? ... in which case , in what way ? ... face lift , tit enlargement , suck the chrome off a ' 69 Cadillac kind of enhanced ?

[​IMG]
  17. Bar None

Oddometer:
    How does PA know the HF trailer came in a box and had to be put together? It's quite a simple task, probably even you could accomplish it. For the last time, the HF trailer comes with a normal MCO and is DOT approved.
  18. YOUNZ

YOUNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I enquired, the "state" said it is aware that most mail order trailers arrive at your door "not assembled"! That means the buyer must construct them from a box of parts, no matter how "approved" the parts may or may not be by the MCO and DOT, they still must be assembled, and that is what must be inspected by an inspector that has shone expertise and knowledge of mechanical assembly (the enhanced) inspector as opposed to the regular inspector. That's all well and easily understood (by most), perhaps not you. My bitch was with the exorbitant FEE.
    As to what I can build, I built my house and garage, my bike trailer, my sidecar (from scratch), race cars, in my twenties, a garage business before I was thirty, employing half a dozen people, I've written and published a book, www.bootcamtoeternity.com etc, etc. What have you built?
  19. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
  20. RAGBrian

RAGBrian jonesing for a ride

Oddometer:
    One of those trailers!

What's your definition of exorbitant? Maybe post the 2 prices for the benefit of those in PA. Perhaps the reasoning in your state is that there have been some happy and unsafe trailers in the state, so the filter is a qualified person who is trained to spot such things?

In Missouri when I had my larger HF trailer inspected I had to take it to a trailer shop that does inspections to have it get the 1st & only inspection. Standard fee applied and took less than 15 minutes.

I have thinking about getting a smaller HF trailer for the moto lately, and build something similar to what has been made.

phat fingered on my phone with Tapatalk