honda 919

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by speedisgood, Nov 17, 2012.

1. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    My first "newer" bike was a 2002 CB919, picked it up used back in 2005. The bikes I had owned previously were 15+ years old. I love the power of the 919, it is there when you want it, no matter what gear your in. I did eventually hand down to my brother as I moved to a GS that better suited my riding and needs in a bike.

The bike is still in the family, its been passed down twice now, first to my brother, then to my cousin-in-law who has given it a bit of a beating, which is painful to see, but thats part of learning I guess.

It was original blue, till some lady knocked it over in a parking lot. She replaced all the scratched and dented parts, which allowed me to turn it into a black bike, which I prefer over the blue. Wish I had gone with flat black though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems like all my friends bikes are my old ones. My old 919, my old '06 GS and my9 new '10 GSA.
    [​IMG]
  2. PAULIBIKER

PAULIBIKER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Neither one of my 919's had the "stink" or vibration issues.:hmmmmm
  3. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never had the stink, but the vibrations where there for sure. On long 800 km days, I sure felt it. I did buy bar end weights which were supposed to absorb some of the vibrations, but never got them installed.
  4. watrboy

watrboy Been here awhile Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. speedisgood

speedisgood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How have you found the Corbin seat on the 919? I had one on my DL650, and for that bike it was a big improvement. However I did find it a bit slippery -- every time I stopped hard I would slide forward quite a bit. It was also pretty heavy, but undeniably useful on long trips.
  6. watrboy

watrboy Been here awhile Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had Mustang Seats on my Valkyries and found the Corbin to be a good replacement for stock on the 919 and I liked it better than the Mustangs for all day saddle time.
  7. Jewiss

Jewiss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just picked one up very cheap on trade in. No outdoor pics yet as I pretty much bought it and rode it home.
    Swapped the bars, new skins, ready for the spring!
    Sounds like the renthal ultra lows were a good choice,[​IMG]
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
  8. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a corbin seat on my 919, it was light years better then the stock seat. It was the best money I spent on the 919, without question.
  9. enginerd81

enginerd81 n00b

Oddometer:
    The corbin is awesome! I had a hard time putting any kind of mileage on the bike until I got one. The stock seat is terrible.
    I don't think the seat is anymore or less slippery than the stock seat.

Regarding the vibes - Ditching the stock bars and going with renthals fixed it for me. I have never noticed a "stink", from the bike anyways.
  10. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember my first "long" ride on the bike. This was before I understood the joy of touring. After an hour on the stock seat, my ass was killing me. 4 weeks later I had a corbin and the stock collected dust for 3 or 4 years in the garage, and still does at its new home.
  11. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    I should point out that the stink really isn't that big of a deal and I only started to notice it as my time on the bike was fewer and fewer between. And it's better, far better then most of my other much older and much more loose engines.

The vibration isn't much of an issue most of the time.
  12. SammyTheSlider

SammyTheSlider You have insufficient privileges to reply here

Oddometer:
    I put up with the "stink" for years on mine, when I swapped to the CBR 900 exhaust it completely went away.
  13. hilltownwalsh

hilltownwalsh Ahhhhh, Bach!

Oddometer:
    Never had the stink problem until I did the "bafflectomy". The bike sounds more growly, but I wouldn't do it again.
  14. speedisgood

speedisgood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    was the down side of the bafflectomy simply the smell, or was there another down side? I have been thinking about doing a bafflectomy as well.
  15. SammyTheSlider

SammyTheSlider You have insufficient privileges to reply here

Oddometer:

Blah, do the CBR 900 exhaust conversion. It all bolts up and is pretty cheap if you shop around. I got the header and two brothers slip on from Ebay for 100.00. Knocks about 20 pounds off the bike, sounds amazing, and looks pretty good IMHO.
  16. PAULIBIKER

PAULIBIKER Long timer

Oddometer:

IMO it sounds like crap. Couldn't wait to get that mistake off the bike. Heck there giving away cut-up OE cans over on the Wristtwisters forum.

MIVV X-cones sound and look the best.
  17. speedisgood

speedisgood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For exhaust, I want something that sounds good, but doesn't wake the neighbors when I come home. Does Mivv x meet the requirements -- ie. can it be quiet, when at lower rpm?
  18. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    If it's street legal, it will be as loud as stock at half available revs with
    the dB killer insert.

Not just the Mivv. ANY street legal exhaust.
    Some are even quieter then stock at low revs.
  19. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone

Oddometer:
    To each his own; did the bafflectomy on mine, had numerous positive comments vs no comments before, stink didn't seem to decrease or increase... I would do it again in a heartbeat if I couldn't afford the Scorpion.
  20. zozie

zozie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How is this bike for someone who's 6'3" long term? I've always liked this bike, but sitting on a used one at a dealer felt kinda small. I got an Bmw F800R instead....