Dr. Bean's 950 fuel pump kits

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Dr_Bean, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Dr_Bean

Dr_Bean Dr_Bean Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of course I don't know whether all (years) of AT pumps are the same, but the AT pump I have here for test, has no diode for sure! There really is nothing demping the coil.... coil output goes up to 120 - 150V when switching it of.

A Fet can absorb this energy (as avalange enegry), but it is not adviced and if it is to much it will kill the fet, not immediately but after X times... depending on the amount of energy.
    This parameter is very different for teh various fets... so some of them will be able to handle it, others not.

I added a extra diode on my kit for AT. in the beginning with just LC8 I did not have that diode. now it is on every kit, so I don't have to make 2 versions.. AND because I have seen some very early LC8 2003 models with a pump without diode (or maybe broken...)
  2. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    I considered putting a diode on my board and figured why when there's one in it. Oh well.
    The pumps that I fixed with blown diodes resulting from X wiring have all shorted (closed). So the fix is cut with a die grinder a little slot at the diode and pick it out. Then I put a new diode on the outside. I have also cut a pump open and that ruins the magnetic path and the pump no longer works well. I use that one on the bench for tests. I also tried rewinding the coil - and of course that was a mistake, but I didn't do the math first.
    I wonder if the video of spark suppression with a diode was a pump without a diode?
  3. Dr_Bean

Oddometer:
    Possibly, however: With or Without the diode the original contact breaker will fail at around 50k km. Also simple math can tell you this.
  4. D K

D K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a question for you guys.

I have a 34K mile SE with the original pump. I will be in Morocco in a couple of days and didn't get the kit shipped to me in time, so I've had to get a pump fedexed to me from Austria to the tune of 250 Euros.
    Now, should I put the new pump on now and take the old as a spare, or keep riding the old one until it fails?

Cheers.

D
  5. 1Bonehead

1Bonehead Fearless of Falling

Oddometer:
    Change it now.
  6. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd put a FET on the new pump, install and never think about it again. I'wouldn't even carry a spare.
    But perhaps that doesn't answer your question. SEs are harder to change out IMO so change now.
  7. Jdeks

Jdeks Accepting and supportive of everyones feelings.

Oddometer:
    Hello from Australia.

Dr Bean, if you happen across this forum, I'm interested in buying two of your kits for my 03 950 Adv. After 52 000km my stock unit has failed (your predicitions on this seem very accurate.

I've sent a PM, but figured I'd post in case you come across here first. Thanks !
  8. braaap!

braaap! Long timer

Oddometer:

Dr Bean supplied me one :)
    Fitted it today, my points contacts where very pitted and looked really shit but hadn't caused me grief yet, thankfully (at 40,000km).
    The changeover is very straight forward if you can drive a soldering iron. Took about 1/2hr inc' pulling the pump out. Did the electrical trial test as per the instructions... But pump no worky, ummm, WTF!
    Oh! Bloody kill switch was off! Works beautifully now...

Thanks Dr Bean, love your work!
  9. Dr_Bean

Oddometer:
    Good to hear you got it working.

grts
    Dr_Bean

10. Terlingua

Terlingua Terlingua

Oddometer:
    Well Dr,Bean it looks like you cured another one.

Thanks again. Bruce
  11. Bgunn

Bgunn Listo

Oddometer:
    Also sent a pm, would like to get on the list for one.
  12. Patacca

Patacca Pimp my SE italian style

Oddometer:
    I mp Dr bean today to buy one for my buddy.....SE 950 :evil
  13. Dr_Bean

Oddometer:
    To make my life easy: Please send me a PM, (not a 'mail').

Currently out of stock... I expect to have new ones ready after 11-dec-11.
  14. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Dr_Bean, how many do you think you have made up to now?
  15. Dr_Bean

Oddometer:
    Enough to know that they are quite reliable, moreover because they run in hot, cold, humid and dry countries.

But not enough to have them made in a big series and lower the cost. Still making them by hand myself, a few every time. Also made improvements over time: Now running version 3. Improvements made on making them easier to install, more fool prove etc. Versions-1 still running fine.

And actually I like it that way. Ones these things become commercial the fun is gone, the quality has to go down etc. I am happy with the fact that I can help people all over the world with a more reliable pump. The pump is not used any more in any new bikes (all injection etc..)
  16. scruffy

scruffy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just received two more of these. I've already installed two of these on my bikes and I just wanted to have them as backups. I doubt that I'll ever need to use them. Thanks Gerben
  17. Patacca

Oddometer:

just tell me when you have one for me....and I will send my money....thanx.:clap
  18. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    PM sent - I want one of these! :clap
  19. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    PM from me as well. :evil
  20. Patacca

Oddometer:
    I' m in waiting list since a while....:evil:ear