Rolling The Reflex 250

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by ernest t bass, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Yep, my "full sized" :D KBC fits right in there. I dunno about three bags of groceries, tho...
  2. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    I sold an 04 Reflex sport with 2200 miles recently. The guy who bought it said it ran great for a week or so then died. Turned out to be rust in the gas tank. Might want to check yours out. I didn't own it long or put many miles on it, but it was a pleasure when i had it.
  3. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Katrina Survivor???
  4. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    From what I can see, my tank is clean. I'm at 10,600+ on the odo. Thanks for the tip though.
  5. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see the one that earnest t bought is called a "sport" is this just a trim package term or are there other models with different setup and what not? :ear
  6. ernest t bass

ernest t bass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From what I can tell the Sport model has:

Dark Grey Rims instead of plain silver.
    Passenger butt pad instead of cool looking wing
    Shorter less usefull windshield.
    Exposed, chrome handlebars-No Plastic Cowling
    Yellow,Silver,Red,& Black as Color Choices

FYI- First tank of gas - 60.9 mpg

Reflex Sport:
    [​IMG]

Standard Reflex:
    [​IMG]
  7. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    now, how does the power compare to the elite 250. I know that my spacy is quick as hell off the line. :ear
  8. ernest t bass

ernest t bass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't had the chance to ride them back to back but,

I'd say the Spacey/Elite 250 would beat the Reflex up to 50.

From 50mph on up the Reflex has more punch, and a higher top speed.

My 1986 250 Elite would only go 68mph.
    This Reflex can Hit 80 mph(under ideal conditions)
    Although it is turning 8000 rpm at 80 mph.

55 to 65 is a more realistic cruising speed for either bike.

Reflex has much better suspension & brakes than Elite/Spacey/Helix models.
    That's what finally sold me on the Reflex, The Handling & Brakes.
  9. Coopdway

Coopdway Curiouser

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the Sport comparison, had no idea.
  10. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:

There is also an ABS version of the reflex as well! :evil
  11. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    No, it was a GA bike.
  12. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    The Reflex is buttery smooth and the suspension does a great job. The brakes feel a little mushy, but they get the job done very very well. It does have that annoying lag from about 20-45 MPH under hard acceleration. Overall a very good scoot.
  13. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    boy i see a few of em here on CL. i like this bike a lot :D
  14. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I find the suspension to be mushy and the brakes pretty good.

There's a modification that resolves the lag. Basically, you remove three of the six weights in the variator. I replaced the drive belt at the same time and broke the glaze on the variator drive faces. The thing is a rocket now. Cars will purposely not line up behind me at stop lights. I have to smile as I watch them get smaller in my rear view mirrors...
  15. dezfreeze

dezfreeze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was wondering what that swishing noise was. I love my Reflex, got it at 14,000 miles, now has 25,000 less than a year later. Only problem is that I can't find a decent front tire that doesn't get cupped out prematurely.
  16. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I have just under 11K on mine and both tires (OE Hoops) still have plenty of tread left. I just got a set of Kenda K761 for my DR350SE and really like them. I was thinking of getting the same for the Reflex when it's time. I don't have any info on if they cup, though.
  17. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    The Kenda on my People 250 is cupped. It's cupped less than it used to be. When I got this scoot last summer, the cupping was extremely bad and it's much better now.

This model is known to have oscillation challenges so I don't know if its a "feature" of the tire or the scoot. I am going to change it here pretty quick. Make me wonder if the cupping is caused by this particular tire.... interesting. This is the standard tire and many stay with it when changing.
  18. Purzell

Purzell I like tiny bikes

Oddometer:
    I've been wanting a big scoot for a while. I've had a few scooters including my current Elite 80, a Riva 180 and an Aero 50.
    None of my local dealers (Sacramento area) will let me test ride my scooter of choice, the Burgman. They all say they do not offer test rides unless you are buying something, for sure.
    Lately I've been thinking about picking up something less expensive, like a used Reflex, to see how I like having a bigger freeway legal scooter before I take the big expensive plunge.
    My question is: I mostly commute around town with the occasional short freeway trip. The Reflex can do that, right? I'm about 5'8" tall and about 160 lbs. so it's the freeway part I'm making sure about.
    I've figured if I like the Reflex I can sell it and get something larger.
  19. mboni

mboni Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm about your size, and my old Reflex would top out at about 70mph(gps). It rode just fine at that speed, and could run all day like that.

The problem was that traffic around here wanted to move 70-80, and I had no reserve speed to get out of the way. If your local freeways don't move quite as fast as mine, then the Reflex is a really good bike, and a used one will be very reliable. For in-town commutes with occasional freeway use, you should be quite pleased. But if you want/need to cruise along with 70mph traffic for any time, I'd suggest a 400cc bike or larger.
  20. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    I too am in the Sacramento area and I am larger than you , I cruised Highway 80 from Rancho to Downtown yesterday afternoon. My Kymco People 250 got up to an indicated 80 and I was keeping up with the traffic. I was in the LEFT lane as I don't like dealing with all of the on and off ramps between here and there. I came back to Rancho about 4:15, same speeds and same lane positioning.

I have heard that Reflex's can top out a little slower than some other 250cc scoots but you may be able to change rollers and get up there (unless the Honda's have a rev limited CDI).

As to the dealer... how do they expect you to buy one if you can't try one? Only let you test ride if your going to buy? Sounds like it's time to lie a little, say you are ready to buy if the test ride is good and then say you've decided you don't like the xxx and then leave.