2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Deviant666

Deviant666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't have the chance to test ride them yet because the dealers are in the process of putting the break-in miles on the two test bikes. They both feel like a touring bike in terms of sitting position.

They didn't remind me at all the big dirt bike feeling of my 990R. The sitting position is at least half a foot further back which makes for a more comfortable stance for long arms like mine but legs felt a bit cramped due to the design of the new tank.
    I believe with my Pivot pegs at the lower position it'll be fine. My R is supposedly at 915mm seat height while the new R at 890mm but the later felt significantly lower for my 6'10", 40"+ inseam. Generally, it felt like I was riding a much smaller bike overall. Can't comment on weight...the bike looks and feels like its very well put together...I'll be right back with my experience of the test ride asap....
  2. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    Doesn't it use the same old radiator from the RC8 ? you already know that don't you ?
  3. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Yes i know aobut the RC8R but the picture makes it look small? Would be interesting to know.
  4. Joe Pichler

Joe Pichler Adventurer

Oddometer:

At the moment I'm back in Austria. But on the 5th of May I'm flying to Madagaskar and then the story is going on again.

Joe
  5. ST4s

ST4s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Akra exhaust sounds better by far.... but I doubt legal in emission controlled regions. Does the idle sound a bit hectic to anyone else? Could just be cold idle speed but try to ride this in any type of technical dirt sections with that 1,600 RPM idle would be a challenge. That little oil cooler on the right side is a water oil heat exchanger not an air cooled oil radiator. I don't think KTM uses the exhaust valve. They can control noise emissions for testing by limited secondary throttle valve actuation like the 990 Adventure. Interesting bike. I hope KTM has considered crash protection in the design. If you drop a Multistrada 1200 in a parking lot you can damage over $1,000 in panels and parts...

Cheers
  6. coast range rider

coast range rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Without the expected high service costs of the new gs and the multistrada,
    Without the huge weight of the triumph explorer,
    Without the lack of low end torque of the triumph 800 and multistrada,
    I am test riding the 1190 adventure first (ASAP in US), and then will see if any other test rides are desired. :evil

On the other hand, out of all those bikes, I do like the factory cruise control availability on the triumph explorer, and the ability to fine tune settings of the selections on the multistrada electronic suspension.

Bottom line: the 1190 Adventure cannot get to the US soon enough for me.
  7. Orcaman

Orcaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When can we expect the 1190 to be available for sell in the US? Its my guess that very few of the 990 now at the dealership will sell, as many of us will sit tight and wait for the 1190
  8. Tiggersteve

Tiggersteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    not complete protection but the grey/white triangular panels below either side of the bodywork below the tank are actually aluminium "skid plates" :1drink
  9. Tiggersteve

Tiggersteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    not complete protection but the grey/white triangular panels below either side of the bodywork below the tank are actually aluminium "skid plates"

and those sound clips, it does'nt sound like a twin ???
  10. lotus7

lotus7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a test ride on the Adventure today, tarmac only but encountered rain, snow, sunshine and traffic! In other words a typical English spring day. The bike is a joy to ride, the fuelling compared to the 990 is perfect. In town I found the sport mode too immediate but street mode much softer. The screen on the highest setting was fairly quiet and the riding position slightly forward and relaxed. The Adventure turns easily and is very stable when leaned over. I only had time for 80 miles or so but really did not want to hand it back.:)
    Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
  11. backwoods bobby

backwoods bobby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    was it on the 1190 or 1190r:huh
  12. vanilla

vanilla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has your dealer got the R yet? Why are they taking longer than the base model?
  13. RightCross101

RightCross101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I suspect you are right about the 990's. A few people have said this fall but who knows. Also the price is a factor.
  14. BigTony

BigTony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thought of a question for those in the know:

Does anyone know what the fuel tank is made of (i.e. plastic etc)?

Darn ethanol fuel in CA wreaks havoc on my 990 as the tanks expand and nothing fits right...
  15. Red Dust

Red Dust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was told 20th of April until I can see one in the flesh here in Australia, long wait but I bet it is worth waiting for.
  16. richtidebruin

richtidebruin Lurking since 2003..

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Perhaps this has been mentioned already, but do my eyes detect a (or at least a potion of a) frame-based location for the side stand mount?

Ultimately, I guess time will tell.... and I would not want to be the 1st to test it out anyway...

Rich
  17. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess that I have read this before; however couldn't figure out, what type of a problem it may bring, could you explain?
  18. igorpetrovich

igorpetrovich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the side stand is on the other side, you are lookiing at the central one ...
  19. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    The side stand on the 950/990 (Adv, SM, SMR & SD) is mounted to the engine case and damaging the side stand has been known to crack engine cases.

20. igorpetrovich

igorpetrovich Been here awhile

Oddometer: