The BMW HP2 Megamoto thread.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Joe Bar, Sep 27, 2008.

1. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:
    Ok... A couple more... :rofl

Me, doing the "Peach".

[​IMG]

Half Dome from the back side

[​IMG]

Zoom-Zoom...

[​IMG]

Okay. Thats enough for now.
  2. HPSaucy

HPSaucy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lovely shots, and lovely rides too, done all those roads in the Z8, and love them!!

My MM is still down and out from being hit by a mad cyclist, it takes a really, really long time to get spares for these bikes, so don't let anything happen to yours! I'm excited to see how it'll be when I get it back with the new suspension from Racetech and saddle from Renzaco, it should be much better, but I'm not sure it'll be better than the R1200S I just snagged. That is such an incredible bike, I really love it, it handles so incredibly well!
  3. Maineroads

Maineroads Ridgerunner

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics!
  4. fixinbones

fixinbones Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice R12S. Enjoy it.
  5. bingbong

bingbong Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Great pics Justin, thanks for sharing. Man I never get tired of looking at this bike. And I have one in the garage I see everyday :lol3
  6. colr

colr Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Justin, nice pics... Did you slab-ride the MM from Vegas to the sierrras? I've done it on my GS, but man, on a MM-you da man!
  8. ViperJustin

Oddometer:
    The trip to the Sierra Nevadas was a weekend trip. (900+ miles total) I took off around 1 in the afternoon on Friday from Vegas, went through DV, and spent the night in Mammoth. I rode to Yosemite on Saturday and did the whole park/Yosemite Valley thing. Sunday, I rode back home through DV and Pahrump. I did the entire trip via slab. Theres quite a few fun roads on the way to Yosemite. And Yosemite has some GREAT twisty roads, too. Ill have a few more pics coming up soon. Im still downloading them to my photobucket account. Also, Im thinking about doing a "Best of the West" tour; riding all over the Rocky Mountains and up and down the PCH. Either that, or Ive been thinking of even going WAY up north to Alaska.

If I dont do the trip, then Ill get a Viper (Car) instead.

My longest day on the MM so far is the Grand Canyon North trip. That was 630 miles round trip... In one day...

Oh, and I see that TouraTech is building larger tanks for the HP2. Does anyone know how much the HPN tank is here in the states?
  9. ViperJustin

Oddometer:
    Okay. You guys twisted my arm. Heres a few more pics... :evil

FUN FUN Road!!! (East Yosemite Entrance)

[​IMG]

Death Valley

[​IMG]

One Last shot of the MM in Yosemite

[​IMG]
  10. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Hpn tank is $1800.00; Call BMW Atlanta as they are the U.S. distributor. Kudos man, I don't know if I could do a trip like that with the stock tank and not be sweating about not finding a gas station, especially through DV and the desert east! I am stopping (the way I ride) about every 85 miles; that is ALOT of stops :huh
  11. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. ViperJustin

Oddometer:
    I can usual get about 120 miles on a tank whenever I take it easy. Lots of planning went into that trip to figure out what route(s) to take.
  13. HPSaucy

HPSaucy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think I'd take my MM for a long asphalt ride, the R1200S is a much sweeter long day in the saddle proposition. Good on you for slugging it out on the MM!
  14. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    Drilling the filler neck helps the range out a lot. I can squeeze 140-150 miles out of a tank now, with the light coming on around 100 - 110 miles, that extra 20 - 30 minutes of riding time per tank on a trip really helps.

[​IMG]
  15. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be doing that mod on my next day off, Thanks!
  16. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    Simple enough to do, you just need to take care lifting the neck out as the fuel level sensor is attached to the neck. I've now done my MM and my Rockster, should have done the Rockster 3 years ago, as I've gained another 40 miles on that tank :D
  17. Maineroads

Maineroads Ridgerunner

Oddometer:
    Had both. I rather be on the MM.
  18. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    I tried a R1200S with the Sport package (Ohlins, etc), whilst there was a lot to like about it, I didn't think it was a bike that would cover the miles as easily as my old R1100S. The riding position was a little more cramped, a little more weight on the wrists, and I really didn't like the eccentric throttle cam. They have put the same throttle cam on the new K1300R I tried, hated it on that as well.

I'm sure you'll love the MM again once you've got it back Mac :D .
  19. HPSaucy

HPSaucy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It'll really have to impress me for me not to be selling it on, because the R1200S is just so much more my kind of bike. The throttle seems fine to me, I didn't notice it working any differently to any other bike. The thing that bugs me the most about my Megamoto is how hard it is to get a seamless transition from braking/slowing into a corner to rolling on the power again. It almost always 'snatches' as you roll the throttle back on, which really spoils the ride for me. It feels like maybe it could be drive line lash, but it could be the throttle, the injection system, the computer, the tuning, anything?! Whatever it is the R12S doesn't do it, and it lets me ride with the silky smoothness that I really enjoy.

I already added the higher Helibars, which lift you up a good couple of inches, and the much better designed Corbin saddle, so it is a lot more comfy than the MM. I've never ridden an R11S so can't compare it to that, but I'm really super impressed with the R12S. It'll be interesting to see if the newly suspended MM can make its case strongly enough to make me want to keep it.
  20. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    Mmmm, interesting, can't say I notice that much at all on mine, but that is part of the reason the R1200S has an eccentric throttle cam. It only opens slowly at first in relation to the amount the throttle is turned. To me it just felt flat, woolly and un-responsive, same thing on the K1300R. Maybe I just like the directness of the MM.