The 1200 Tiger Explorer Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by dutchie, Sep 17, 2010.

?

Explorer or Explorer/XC

1. Explorer

2. Explorer/xc

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bryn

Bryn Leicester England

Oddometer:
    The Givi monokey universal mounting plate will work with it....

I've used an older monokey cast alloy plate ( got it for free) took a bit of head scratching but it works once the plastic cover is taken off the original rack.

Feels solid enough. Only thing with it was that there's just one slot either side to mount it.. so I used a bit of angle steel underneath to help spread the load.. It's not using the original 4 bolt holes, which would be ideal... but I worked with what I had

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. LowOnFuel

LowOnFuel In the crapper

Oddometer:
    This bike is very interesting and has been added to my short list for consideration.
    Sorry if this has been discussed before (did a search and found nothing), but has this bikes final drive unit been used in a previous Triumph model?
    I was reading the owners manual and found this:

Final Drive Unit

Other than checking the final drive oil level,
    the unit contains no user serviceable parts. If
    a fault occurs with the final drive unit, your
    Triumph dealer must replace the complete
    assembly.
    Check the final drive unit for oil leaks in
    accordance with the scheduled maintenance
    chart.

Final Drive Oil Level Adjustment

1. Filler level plug
    To check the oil level in the final drive unit,
    remove the filler level plug. Fill with 75W/90
    fully synthetic hypoid oil that meets
    specification API Service Level GL5, such as
    Castrol SAF-XO fully synthetic hypoid oil,
    until the level of oil inside the unit is level with
    the bottom of the filler. Refit the plug and
    tighten to 25 Nm.

The above was copied from the owners manual - Page 100

Thanks
  3. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    I know you are no Triumph hater at all. As for the sensitive throttle, that's what the clutch is for. The throttle on the 800 is a little sensitive too when you first ride it but you get used to it and as I say, couple fingers on the clutch so you can feather it a little when you start getting knocked around and the throttle starts jerking a bit.
  4. GaelicDog

GaelicDog Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer:
    I've had KTM's and BMW's,,,,,,, there is NO reason at all the Triumph would not do that road with ease. IF retirees can do it on their GS's, you can do it on this bike!

I think I'd be running TKC 80's or an equivalent tire though!:1drink
  5. Bryn

Bryn Leicester England

Oddometer:
    I'm sure I've heard that this is the first time a shaft has been used by Triumph on a single side swing arm... If that is indeed the case its new... like the engine... which is not just a bored out 1050 :1drink
  6. moggi1964

moggi1964 Tiger Keeper

Oddometer:
    From what I remember reading this is a NEW shaft drive but frankly I've been reading stuff since before I put my deposit down in December so a lot of stuff has passed through my brain (did I mention I put my deposit down in December?) :D
  7. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Beautifully done Video! Very nice!
    Rocky terrain is tricky on a big bike. I've done a bit of this on GS's and on my former V-Strom. I have no doubt a good rider on the Explorer could make it ... with knobbies of course.

I've ridden the switchbacks from Creel, Copper Canyon, a 5000 ft. drop in 30 miles down to Batopilas. Did it 5 times on my Vstrom. Not as rocky but sections of very loose scree rock with steep switchbacks and LONG drop offs if you screw up.

If guys on R12GSADV's can do that road ... so can the Explorer. Maintaining momentum and steady power is key going UP switchbacks. Downhill? Be smooth, pick good lines ... and very good braking technique. If you go too slow, you will tip over. Keep the speed up ... even through the switchbacks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not even any knobbies on any of these bikes. No problems.
  8. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Some real beauties there! :clap Nice to see committed dealerships doing well!

Does your dealership use an assembly service like many dealers do? When I worked a multi line dealership, the owners hired an independent company to assemble and deliver the bikes from the warehouse. Some of these assembly companies did not employ the most skilled or caring mechanics.

Bikes come off the boat in a crate. Wheels off, handbars off and lots more not on the bike. So whomever opens the crate has a bit of a job getting the bike ready to roll onto the showroom.

We used to see quite a few things missed. And it was OUR JOB to re-check the bike after the assembly guys were done before the bike went out the door. We found plenty of things Un-torqued, bolts missing, loose axle bolts, things put on wrong. Some services are better than others.

But the problem is many dealerships leave this task to the sales staff to do (PDI prep before the bike goes out the door) Mechanics were too busy making real money for the shop. As a result ... some problems came up: Like dangling calipers, loose handlebars, or missing hardware on shields.

If we had time ... we would always take the new bike for a short test ride.

So how do you guys handle this? :ear
  9. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have not ridden the new Explorer, yet, so I can't directly respond the to touchy throttle. However, considering the throttle is ride by wire, a simple software update is all thats needed to fix the issue. If the issue is as prevalent as seems to be judging by the numerous comments on this thread make it appear, then Triumph will likely offer a software update to correct it. If not, the various performance tuners that will almost certainly be available soon will likely have settings to correct the issue.

Basically, I wouldn't worry about it if that is what is keeping you from purchasing this bike.
  10. moggi1964

moggi1964 Tiger Keeper

Oddometer:
    +1
  11. NewYorkLuke

NewYorkLuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    moggi still waiting my friend ?
  12. moggi1964

moggi1964 Tiger Keeper

Oddometer:
    No! Got it today and did 8712 miles on it; serviced it myself without stopping (thank goodness for cruise control) and getting 93 to the gallon. It isn't all it's cracked up to be!

I'm off to bed now to hopefully pick up where I left off :D
  13. rhinoWERX

rhinoWERX Crikey mate!

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a 180 mile ride - with gas light on and 4 miles left on the ODO countdown :eek1 When I bought the bike they said they gave me a full tank of gas - who knows - but when I went to fill it up again, all I could fit in it was 4.6 gals. Speaking of filling it up with gas – what’s with the bar that prevents the nozzle from being inserted all the way? I’m sure it’s there for a reason. What ever it is, it makes re-fueling a little challenging. Anybody have additional info?

So I rode out to Malibu, through the mountains, along the coast and home again. Ride consisted of freeway, some heavy traffic conditions, twisties and more than enough stop and go.

FWIW, I guess I should mention that this is my first Triumph, so some of this might be old news but I have to say that I love the gearbox :clap It's silky smooth. Also the power delivery from the engine is spot.

Of course I'm still in the break in period and am trying to take it easy. Nonetheless, the bike did superbly. I think it's been said before but it feels very light. It handled the twisties extremely well. The brakes, while not as good as the 2012 Speed Triple that I'd test rode the weekend before (with its mono block brembos), are however plenty powerful and have no problems, with just a couple of fingers, pulling the big girl to a quick stop from freeway speeds.

I played around with the windscreen settings - I'm 5' 11" and with the shield in the upper most position, I was able to ride comfortably at 70mph with my face shield up. I also put the seat in the taller position and may adjust it yet again by dropping the back of it as I felt I was leaning forward just a tad

Lane splitting was a bit more of a challenge - with the wider handlebars, but creeping along at slow speeds was no problem at all - very smooth.

As for the throttle; it doesn’t feel broken to me, but it is somewhat sensitive. Definitely need to be gentle with it. Having said that though, I feel like it’s something I can get used to. One thing I noticed was that after the ride, my throttle wrist wasn’t complaining – I guess that’s because it doesn’t require a heavy grip and or a lot of twisting. Once the bike has broken in, and I have the opportunity to use the cruise control, it should be even better.

The last thing I have to comment about is the computer; I feel like I need to spend a bit more time playing around with it. There seems to be a lot of info and I’m not sure what all of the readings meant. Perhaps I should read the manual…

On a final note I think this bike will be a keeper. The riding position suits me (I loved my Uly and this bike has similar ergos), it has plenty of horsepower, and it handles great, rides smooth, and looks like a bike that was made for burly folk.

I think the only thing I’m missing at this point is luggage – as long as it gets here for before I head to MotoGP, Laguna Seca, this year, I’ll be happy

[​IMG]
  14. Daytonacharlie

Daytonacharlie 2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer:
    Don't get the factory bags, if they're anything like the 800XC's, they're crap. The attachment hardware is pitifully weak and won't take a tip over.
    The aftermarket has lots of options that are stronger, have more room inside and work better.

My 2 cents worth

If you've already purchased the Triumph bags... well, they're fantastic, yes, that's it!

dc
  15. rhinoWERX

rhinoWERX Crikey mate!

Oddometer:
    I haven't ordered them - no one seems to have them in stock. Although I wonder if they might be different as they have a different part number from that of the 800's. Having said that, I'm also liking the look of the Givi Trekkers

Cheers
  16. DesertStrom

DesertStrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found this on the Explorer forum

"According to Triumph it's there to prevent damage to the bottom of the shallow tank plus damage to the filler neck"
  17. doggrell3000

doggrell3000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that was a great ride report rhinowerx . i plan to order a new black 2012 triumph explorer 1200 at ducati triumph new york in the west village . thank you for posting another excellent picture of your explorer . please consider the triumph explorer luggage set from metal mule in the uk . they come standard in a dark grey but i am special ordering mine with black powder coat paint on top and bottom . metal mule manufactures a " balanced " pannier set ( both sides same width ) or " off-set " set ( different width on each side ) . i am ordering the balanced panniers ( 45 liter on each side ) . the balanced pannier set and included frames require the triumph explorer standard exhaust be replaced with the metal mule scorpion exhaust which is narrower and higher . the scorpion exhaust allows the balanced frame to have equidistant dimensions from the center point of the triumph explorer so your boxes can be the same width . metal mule also makes a slimmer 31 liter pannier and top box . this is serious gear and a little pricey but i believe metal mule is state of the art .
  18. element6

element6 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My dealer told me pretty much the same thing, and said in the same breath that it's very easy to remove. First fill-up this morning produced no real issues from the insert: I just rested the end of the nozzle on the bar and let the pump's auto-shutoff do its thing.

19. NewYorkLuke

Oddometer:
    yeah i have 10k on mine in my dreams been getting some serious riding in the passed few nights

20. NewYorkLuke

Oddometer:
    DAMN rhinowerks that blak looks awesome your making me second guess ordering the gray one, i always buy black bikes thought it was time for a change now your making me think i was wrong haha