What is your every day carry knife?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Coolhand, May 1, 2008.

1. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    :raabia

My real everyday carry is this one:

[​IMG]

I mean I always have this little friend on me. I feel naked without it. It's not a drawer queen as you can see. ;)

I often have another folder with me somewhere in the jacket, in the bag, in the car, under the bike's seat, and so on.
  2. hmmwv15

hmmwv15 young grasshopper

Oddometer:
    All you and your huge expensive knives....

I carry a gerber "ridge" fine edge knife. Small, compact, cheap, holds a decent edge, and plenty of blade for everyday use. I have my keys clipped to it so I can just grab the knife and not have to dig into my pocket. I can hardly tell when it's clipped to my pocket. I don't really use it for more than opening packages and other light duty tasks. On occasion, a makeshift flat head or phillips head screwdriver if they are the right size. (Okay in a pinch)

I got tired of having my pocket occupied by a bulky knife. I can lean up against something with my ridge knife in my pocket and it's not uncomfortable. Before that, it was a gerber "armor" knife. I really liked that one but it did not seem to hold an edge very well. It had a little nub on the back side of the blade so you could flick it open with your index finder. Very handy when you only have one free hand.
  3. shadowtrekkor

shadowtrekkor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I own a SOG assisted open and that is a great knife one handed operation and a locking blade, very easy to carry thin design and secure clip. Good slicer not much else.

I loved my Gerber multi tool a bit heavy but it was a toolbox on my belt, blades locked, just a little bulky for all situations (just too much for office wear) great weekend carry.

The one I could always depend on, easy to carry, always on my belt, discreet was my victorinox Swiss Army Knife. seven days a week It can go anywhere. Most of your situations from a splinter, hangnail, magnifier for that fine print, screwdrivers, scissors, awl, You get it, this is a real survival tool. Those larger blades assuredly cant be on your person seven days a week. This one can. One danger, the blade does not lock aand can fold up on your fingers if you aren't careful!

DON'T TAKE IT TO THE STATUE OF LIBERTY , THE COURTHOUSE, OR ON A FLIGHT, IT IS EASY TO FORGET YOU'RE ACTUALLY CARRYING A WEAPON THATS WHAT HOMELAND SECURITY SAYS ANYWAY. YOU WON'T GET IT BACK!
  4. MattyBooms

MattyBooms Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  5. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Old Benchmade.

[​IMG]
  6. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    At work (white collar environment), it's a Case Peanut or a small Barlow from Great Eastern. Both are elegant and quality, and they ride well in dress pants.

On my own time, it's a Victorinox Spirit X multitool paired with either a small Alan Davis custom fixed blade, or a Benchmade 556 Mini Griptillian.
  7. high dangler

high dangler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i havent bought any knives lately so i dont know the brands that good.
    My every day carry /work knife is a Buck 4" when closed lock blade.Nothing fancy .Been carrying it forever and its my favorite . Very sturdy .A couple of swipes across the stone every morning and its ALWAYS sharp as a razor. I like the way it feels in my hand.
    I do carry a swiss army (victronox) multi-tool in the tailbag on my bike . Its come in handy a few times.
  8. high dangler

Oddometer:
    I dont care for clips ,spring openers or the saw tooth blades. I like simplicity.
    One sharp blade that locks up will do me.
  9. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Here is mine. Buck 170. In my pocket every day for the last 5-6 years. Cost about $30, so not a big investment.

3-3/8" closed, 3/8" thick. I used to carry a slim, stainless-scaled "gentleman's" lock-back, but it was so slim, on occasion it came out of my pocket when I sat in a low chair. Lost and found it a few times, and decided to put it away and get something a little more substantial.
  10. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might not care for the above but they all address real, everyday issues and they really do make the knife a better tool and why would you not want a "better tool" if you are carry something anyway? It's your knife and you can do what you wish for sure but man,,,, a fixed blade is simpler still so why not carry one of those if simple simplicity is all that matters? Not that a serrated blade is actually all that terribly complicated.:evil

Seriously and all kidding aside though,,,,the clip holds the knife securely in one readily accessible spot so you can get to it easy without having to dig all the way down in your pocket. Spring openers allow easy, one handed access. While the knife I carry isn't a spring assisted knife, it is very easy to open one handed and that feature is very usefull. Partially serrated blades rock, they will cut damned near anything including wire and other hard to cut materials that one often finds a need to cut I say "partially serrated" because a fully serrated knife loses it's multi-purpose use ability. Found that out years ago after buying a Spyderco Police model. I could live without the spring assisted thing and I do but I love my clip, the easy one-handed opening and the serrated blade of my woefully complicated Kasper.:1drink
  11. high dangler

Oddometer:
    i have knives on my dresser that have clips,springs and serated blades. They dont get used much
    With the clip ,it tears up my hand everytime i go in and out of my pocket if clipped If its in the bottom of pocket where a knife should be then coins get hung up behind the clip.
    No i dont like clips at all.
    The spring loaded knifes have sliced open my hand when i reached in for it not knowing it was partially open Scratch that feature too.
    Serrated blades ? If i need a saw I'll get a saw.
    Ive got no issues with my basic no frills carry knife
  12. Melting

Melting n00b

Oddometer:
    Leatherman Wave everyday except the two days a year I fly commercial. I use this constantly for everything from slicing fruit, opening oil cans to tightening screws. I feel naked without it. Lost the first one to a luggage thief at TSA in 2006. Apparently Integrity is optional with this agency. This is the second in about 13 years. Still works like new

[​IMG]

I also ALWAYS have my iphone, keys and cards, The Ruger goes with me everyday but stays in the truck or hard cases for the rare trip into a prohibited area..
    I know this stuff is my EDC because its what I pulled out of my pockets while I was writing this. The picture was taken a few months ago for another forum.
  13. XTrooper

XTrooper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Retired and living in the mountains of NE PA
    Nice! As a boy, I carried a Swedish Mora knife that reminds me a lot of that one.
  14. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    Ken Onion Blackout. Damn near bulletproof (I landed on it in the crash), and holds a great edge.
  15. Celtic Curmudgeon

Celtic Curmudgeon Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer:
    Spyderco GUNTING http://www.spyderco.com/news/pr.php?item=10 - can be used closed as a non-lethal tool. Designed by knife combat trainer Bram Frank. He puts on an outstanding training course, if you don't mind getting a little roughed up in the process..
  16. Tech51

Tech51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. MattyBooms

MattyBooms Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What's with all the fixed blades?
    I have a couple but I generally only carry one of these when I'm going bush.
    Folder is much more convenient (in the majority of daily situations), concealed and doesn't raise any eyebrows... getting around with a bloody KA-bar strapped to ya leg seems a tad excessive is all.
  18. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dang,,,, spring loaded loaded opening in your pocket,,,,, clips tearing up your hands then collecting coins and what-not? I see your point!:eek1

And ya know what, it is alot easier and simpler just to go get the saw when all you need to do is cut some wire or heavy nylon strapping. Yep, alot less complicated than a cutting it with a derned ole complicated partially serrated blade. Never thought of that in the 20 years years or so I've been carrying a partially serrated and clipped folder. Thanks for the heads up, do 'preciate it.:wink:

Oh well,,, just playing around a bit. What ever floats your boat and sets yer sails I reckon.:1drink
  19. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

Welp, if it works for them,,,,, all is good I reckon. One thing's for sure, that ole KA-Bar sure is simple. It ain't got no complicated serrated blade and no spring loaded mechanisms that'll cut ya. Heck, they ain't even got no clips that have been known to tear up a hand. Yep,,,,,, I've seen the light, there ain't nothin I hate more than a complicated knife.:evil:rofl

All kidding aside, I suppose I have had times when I wished I had a knife larger than what I had. I can't think of a single time when I wanted for a smaller knife so I can sorta see their point and if they can carry it without issue, mo powa to em.:1drink
  20. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leatherman kick, have it in my mc-jacket. Had a wave, but it became illegal.