Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Made the mistake of thinking that after the 1050 handguards Triumph would improve the 800 guards. They didn't. In fact they made them worse!!!!

[​IMG]

My mark 1 extensions.
    My mark 2 was to replace them with BarkBusters.
  2. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Holee Shit :huh
  3. fxrjon

fxrjon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    I installed the "3 Circuit Solution" with one fuse unswitched. Very well made product.

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/Fuseboxes/3_Circuit/3_circuit.html

[​IMG]
  5. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought at first too, and seeing a fair amount of Touratech toys on that bike (fender raised, bash plate, exhaust guard, rad guard, aux lights) made me wonder why they painted and reinstalled the stock handguards.
  6. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:

:lol3 That's too funny - that is exactly what I thought also - first thing that jumped out at me was 'why the heck are they using the stock handguards'

I'm not a big fan of Icon or their gear but I do like their fascination with Triumph these - their vids with the Speed Triple were pretty damn good.
  7. Rabbot

Rabbot Life goals-Die with memories not dreams.

Oddometer:
  8. Escoffierx

Escoffierx Dude that doesn't ride as much as he wants

Oddometer:
    I took 2 quick shots of the Mivv pipe (back and Profile), I have the quick release Givi Mounts for the MonoKey system on the bike for reference. Plenty of clearance. One thing I really don't like about the Mivv is that it is a 2 part pipe with a tension spring and with that 2 part pipe it was a snug fit to get it to not touch near the foot peg part of the frame. Even still it only has 2-3mm clearance to the frame. http://o7.no/QjuxlZ http://o7.no/QjuEOx [​IMG] [​IMG]
  9. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    THANK YOU!

This is exactly what I needed. I think now it's down to 2 - either this or LeoVince.
  10. Rabbot

Rabbot Life goals-Die with memories not dreams.

Oddometer:
    Why did you discount the Arrow? Mine is great.
  11. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    A 23% slope on a gravel road?!?! Dang.....
  12. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Yeah it was a steep sumbitch, I wish I would have gotten a pic of the gps screen as we headed down. :deal
  13. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am big fan of Arrow. Had them on all my bikes. But...
    It's too big. E.g. it practically does not give any space saving.
    My main objective is to build pannier rack to have width at the rear (with bags or panniers) to match handlebar width. And it must be symmetrical.
  14. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    I fail to see how you're going to do this on a bike with high exhaust. The bike is about 18" wide to begin with, and panniers are at least16" wide just for the boxes. That's handlebar width right there, with no allowance for racks.

I'm not big fan of the happy trails racks I've got, and the width is one of the reasons - about 39". And they are symetrical, which I find silly - way too much space on the left side. Looking at it another way, that's just 2" wider than the bars - hardly significant.

Check out Wolfman. I like the way they setup their racks, and they work with hard cases or their softbags.
  15. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well...I will do it like I did it to all my bikes before...Wolfmans are nice, but I do not want chromoly racks and they are really wide.
    I did it to Honda VTR1000F (80 cm wide with panniers) and Suzuki DR800 (85 cm wide).

When you limited only by how many welding sticks and time you have - it's possible. Not easy, but possible.:wink:

http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr267/bluesman_ip/MyDR800Feb10/

http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr267/bluesman_ip/VTRluggage/

Metal Mule does symmetrical racks that with narrow panniers that result in 90 cm overall width...but costs are astronomical just like any "full set with aluminium panniers" on the market. I just can't afford 1200 euros system.
  16. the_babaji

the_babaji Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks KildareMan, that is helpful. I am wondering if the uni filter; I have on order will interefere with placement of the pc-8 as you have described it. I am not too clear where you have yours.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
  17. marloweluke

marloweluke The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer:
    I ordered a Penske 8983 rear shock for my Roadie. I was having rebound trouble with the stock shock. Also I wanted some ride height adjustment without messing around with the dog bones. Unfortunately I had to send the shock back to rectify two problems. The spring that was mounted on the shock was way too soft. Even with lots of preload I wasn't able to get the sag numbers I wanted. Second problem was the rebound adjuster had no "clicks"; it was just freewheeling without any noticeable adjustment available. I am not sure if the nitrogen leaked out or not. Anyway, Mike at Traxxion was very helpful and I'm sure they'll fix the problem. I shipped it back on Monday directly to Penske at their charge, so we'll see how it is when I get it back. I have the same shock on my CBR929 trackday bike and it is works very well. Don't know what happened with this one, but they'll get it right. Maybe I am the test-dummy and this is their first shock for the Tiger 800.

Saving up for the AK-20 kit to be done over the winter months.
  18. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    That one is at the upper end of what I'm willing to spend on the rear. But it has to wait for spring. I'll need some things done later this year that will prevent me from riding for at least six to eight weeks, so it will make no sense doing it right before I'm out of commission.

I will take a long and hard look at Wilbers components if they have something in six months or so.
  19. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in!

Picked up my new leftover '11 XC w/ ABS today at Motorworks Chicago. Special thanks to Chris (sales manager) and Derek (parts and accessories) for making everything flow so smoothly. Great people!

I traded my 2010 Streetfighter for it, someone is going to get a fantastic motorcycle in that one.

Pics will come as I begin to mount the accessories!

-Tom
  20. marloweluke

marloweluke The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer:
    The price was a little less then what they show on the website. It came in at $805 I believe. Pretty reasonable I think.