DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Ray-MOND ?? :eek1

Oh crap....Mum used to call me that everytime I set something on fire in the garage or came home without all my blood being contained by my skin.

And here I thought you guys down there were known for your sense of humor

:hide
  2. the_sad_punk

the_sad_punk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy Rob:1drink,
    Any craic with ya? Just been reading up the last twenty odd pages, some very nice fettling going on indeed! Digging the photography skills too.

Been out on the bikes rather than working on them lately (were having an early spring here in Ireland) and the Big is rocking my world.
    I sorted all the niggles (bar re-truing the wheels, soon, soon) and nailed the jetting quite by chance by meddling with the air fuel and removing a baffle in the exhaust.
    She declares her presence with a little more gusto than before but by hell shes pulling well, picks up clean from low revs and the needles are swinging well. Took my first sportsbike scalp over the mountains on her last wknd haha.

As Mr Spen mentioned i have a new focus in my life:eek1

[​IMG]
    I was a well fed two year old when she rolled off the floor in Hamamatsu but ive got love for it:lol3.
    Should make a nice little road burner when i done. Lots of soul in her! The plan is keeping her mostly stock but with good suspension, rubber and brakes, sound familiar?

More pics guys and Rob any more on the trail vids!?

Pen Guy thats a nice example, bit weird with the major surgery on it so soon. Still, if it rides well with no weirdness then rock and roll! A rarity over there i believe.
  3. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Ray, hello all,
    these are similar reasons like those for my mother calling me 'Hans-Günter!', my real fore-name. As my family-name is 'Bambach', nearly everybody calls me 'Bambi' as long as I can remember - and not because of the elegant shape of my body in comparison to Disney's deer.
    :rofl
    To sad punk: your GS 1000 seems to sit very low at the back. Could it be, that it's fitted with the 16" rear-wheel of the soft-chopper-version instead of it's original 18" wheel? Or shorter suspension? If in doubt about the last point I might be able to help with the (nearly) original dates as I have a list for Koni (now Ikon) shocks. Your bike should be included.
    Kind regards, Bambi
  4. the_sad_punk

the_sad_punk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Bambi or should i say Hans Gunter! :D

The front wheel is a 19" and the rear a 17 incher, think thats stock for that model, the s model had a 18 inch rear iirc.

The shocks are old (i think original at 34 yrs old) and on the lowest settings for preload in that pic, she does feel low at the back and drags its arse a bit in turns. Actually that pic does make her look a bit raked out alright haha.

Im looking at wilbers, nitron japan for shocks at the moment but they are very expensive, will probably go with ikon like you suggest they do a set for the gs1000, meant to be very good value.
  5. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    Waiting....waiting....*runs to the letterbox*......waiting....waiting.....:D

Nice, Sad Punk. I do like the old skool big bikes,with twin shocks and a bit of chrome :evil I have been almost tempted my self to get another big roadie in the shed Kawasaki Z1 or something similar, but I'd need a bigger shed first :eek1
  6. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Ray, I have the hole DVD series of every one loves Raymond , but I love his wife more she was hot, :lol3.
    I have looked on ebay again and there is those exaust,s again and 6 still available :deal.

Gidday Colum, the 1k looks like a fairly easy job for a bloke like you , keep us posted love your work :clap.
    Aussi Lioyd, good riding weather coming your way a fair bit cooler for you old mate.
  7. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just scored another titanium exhaust from Benelli Tornado Tre 2004! For same 30 pounds in UK. Damaged a bit exactly in same way I had on mine! Just like one I have - perfect for DR.
    So, now my DR equipped with spare exhaust again for same little cash. Niiiice! :)
  8. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,
    I had to scroll back 4 days to find the thread again! I'm not used to do so ... Everybody seems to be busy preparing her's/his Big for spring-launch or is already riding it.
    I've been something like this, too. Got me a set of pannier-racks. I want to use them to back up a pair of soft-luggage-bags to prevent them from being burnt by the silencer or being caught by my rear-wheel. Everything went into it's place very nice although some thinking was necessary to get it right. Unluckily, we're still not quite sure concerning our online-foto-depot, so it might take some time to show you pics. But as this is nothing sensationel I think that's not sooo bad.
    @ Ray/ladder 106: I tried to write you a private e-mail about 2 weeks ago concerning the wish of a friend for a music-cd that can be bought only in the states. Did you get it? If not, please take a look in your spams, my private mail-account is bambitt750@aol.com. Might be possible, that it took it's way through Iris' account ibambach@aol.com I didn't send it as a private message in this forum.
    If you haven't got anything, please let me know so that I can send it to you again. Your help would be highly appreciated. The guy in question is Jörn, the tall one from the pic with bluesman, resi, him and me from our round table last year.
    Kind regards to all of you, Bambi ... preparing for spring-launch, too ...
  9. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Bambi,

Yes I got it, sent a reply back. Maybe in your spam folder

In short...I'll be happy to help. Had a look at the web-site for the music and they say they ship internationally.

If it's a problem you can send it here and I'll ship to you.
  10. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    I received the JAMA pipe from Canada today.

Here is it in parts. The design is a bit like the Supertrap but this uses a separate piece with holes rather than stacked discs.

[​IMG]

The actual can is "straight through". It was $80.00 so I took a risk. Not certain if I'll be keeping it since the GPR is still enroute. I still need a large clamp for the can to mid-pipe interface but will have to get that from the aircraft part place since none of the shops that deal with cars or motorcycles know anything about the good exhaust clamps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I built a bracket (still unfinished) and mounted the pipe.

[​IMG]

The mid-pipe fits well and it's obviously built for the DR750. It's a bit on the loud side. Not bad at small throttle/steady state but has a definite POP when accelerating. Much lighter than standard.

The end piece says "JAMA Original"

The shop said it was made in the Netherlands and had been sitting on their shelves for many years (which is why the brackets and clamps are missing I guess).

Anyone ever seen this before or have any knowledge of it?
  11. Resi

Resi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True, true...

Did a double refill on my Oranje last Saturday... :evil

Cheerio
    Lars
  12. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have worked with Jama pipes in the past. Sometimes they are spot on, sometimes a bit on restrictive side but usually quite loud :)
    I know they hold on a bit better than supertrapp, but I did see couple of Jamas destroyed by high pressure.
    Usually they sound quite good. And they are very well made for sure.
    I think it looks excellent on DR, no?
  13. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would use hole saw on the end cap, and throw the other bit with all the holes away :D. looks good Ray :clap.
  14. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    We went for a ride out to a village called Burraga a old copper town.
    [​IMG]
  15. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doc rode his 1400 I think it was, about 10 years old and only 14k on the clock, a relly nice bike too.[​IMG]
  16. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    We rode through another joint called Rockly,
    [​IMG]
  17. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was a nice park,
    [​IMG]
  18. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    And a BIG close by,
    [​IMG]
  19. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Nice, and not a flood water in site

PS, your bike looks very shiny but watch the silicon on the tires
  20. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Good Grief !:eek1

I think that would bring out the "pitchfork and torch brigade" in the neighborhood.

You must live with very motorcycle friendly people, Rob.