MOTUS: New Sport Tourer built in Alabama

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Reverend12, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The big manufacturers bring bikes to market every year that fail.....so you think little ole' Motus is too perfect to fail when the biggest manufacturers on the market do all the time? I think you, like Motus, are a little naive. Everybody oohs and ahhs when a new machine is introduced, but when it comes time to buy the bike, suddenly the markets not there....with lots of wannabe buyers just like you :D
    But I guess Motus has it way more covered than every other bike maker on the planet :rofl

Time to bow to the perfection of market strategy that is Motus :lol3
  2. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. Too small of a piece of a very small piece of the pie. :deal
  3. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

What you don't know is that they're aiming for only 300 bikes the first year.
  4. Krasniewski

Krasniewski I don't ride much.

Oddometer:
    What's that supposed to mean? I, like most fans, have stated that I'm probably not a buyer considering the price. But then again, we don't flatter ourselves in saying that we're the target market.

I may not know whether they'll succeed or not, but I sure think they have a chance. The only thing I do know is that nobody else really knows that either. Naysayers with all the answers are never worth listening to; I'm sure Motus and any other pioneers know at least as much.
  5. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Give up, will you.............I tried to tone it down and wish them luck with the less than stellar looking mock ups that were apparently displayed. My eyes did not deceive me.............they were rough looking for the public display at a major event where Motus might have some potential customers.

I guess the Motus can still be a beautiful thing in the future........it was not on October 13, 2012 at the Barber Motosports racetrack.
  6. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Too bad - the bikes looked great a year ago at the GP. I wonder if they've gotten sloppy working and showing the same two bikes over and over again...
  7. Yostwerks

Yostwerks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And unfortunately, getting smaller all the time :waysad

The purchase price for all three Sport Tourer's below was less than the cost of one Motus :D
    [​IMG]

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  8. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nobody knows for sure if they'll succeed, but the reason for so many naysayers is at the moment Motus doesn't seem to be doing the right things with price, value for the money etc to convince a lot of folks to be positive about the bike....those are just the facts.

I have nothing against them at all, in fact I like the engine design a lot.

But facts are facts, as of right now most folks in this thread and many others like it aren't willing to pay what Motus is asking for their bike.
    Time will tell if the bikes a success or not, just like every other product thats ever been designed, released, and failed or succeeded :thumb
  9. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:

Well, no disrespect intended, your needs/tastes and mine differ, but to me that emphasies the value of the Motus (assuming it works as advertised and the motor feels sweet :deal).

[​IMG]

The Kaw, Triumph and Tuono are three great bikes. But as a high-mileage comfortable sporty two-up tourer for quasi-legal road speeds the Motus has them all beat (again, in principle - won't know till we ride one and also see how they hold up).

... and I don't have space for three bikes. :lol3
  10. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    WTF is "knieve"?

Does it refer to Evel Knievel?

It would be naive to believe that any stunters will be interested in this bike...
  11. Yostwerks

Oddometer:
    No disrespect taken :1drink ... A sport tourer is what you make of it. I've also owned an ST 1100 (17+ years), Concours 1000, FJR 1300, and FJ1200 ... among others.
    My definition of sport touring has evolved greatly over the years.

I don't know that it has any of them beat ... except for highest price :D

The Aprilia Falco is an excellent SPORT touring bike. It's fast, stable, and great in the twisties.
    With Heli-bars, Sargent saddle, and hombuilt pannier racks / top rack it provides all day comfort.

I'll soon be making similar mods to my Kawi ZX14R. It accelerates like nothing I've ever experienced,
    is super stable at speed, and surprisingly nimble in the twisties ... and where I live, it's all twisties.
    At the $12,700US I paid, the big Ninja packs a tremendous ST bang for the buck, as do the Ninja Z1000SX, and C14.

It's your $30,000+(US) ... Spend it any way you like ! .... Tom

Aprilia Falco ... Snowshoes optional !
    [​IMG]
  12. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Right, but my point is that they aren't TRYING to sell most folk folks in this thread a Motus. They're aiming for low volume, high cost, which isn't most of any community, let alone the ADV crowd.

The low volume strategy is obviously misunderstood, as many think that the company will fail just b/c they can't or won't spring for one, even though they would have considered it at $2x,000.

Having watched the thread since its inception (can't believe I got suckered back into this thing AGAIN), the strategy is infuriating and insulting to a lot of people as they like the bike and wanted to be able to support a budding American Firm that has the same priorities as most riders (that aren't into turning gasoline into loud noise w/o the unnecessary byproduct of horsepower). Tragically some of the people are so pissed off that they actually WANT the company to fail, which is mind boggling in and of itself.

Goes back to what GG said:

I would normally say don't knock it 'till you ride it, but I haven't ridden one... test rides are reportedly hard to come by these days... :norton
  13. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    I just hope they don't end up like Fisher.
  14. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Ok, come on... the man's point was exceptionally valid.

Again, no offense, but you're now comparing a mass produced sport bike from an established mfgr with (homebuilt) touring mods to a bike that has all of that standard, plus top shelf brakes, bags, suspension, etc.

Obviously, there's going to be a price disparity. Someone looking for price value isn't going to buy a Motus - I think we've established that. A Motus buyer is not going to have to worry about spending a bunch of money to get something that is fast, fun, quality, American, and totally original. Lots of those around, IMO... they probably don't sit on ADV all day, either.
  15. Yostwerks

Oddometer:
    Again, no offense taken :D

I can afford any motorcyle I want, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to throw away $30,000+ on an unproven bike that I don't feel is any better than ones
    costing less than half the price :evil

The Falco has as good a suspension (Penske) , brakes (Brembo), panniers (Givi), and exhaust (Akrapovic) as the Motus. All for $5,000 with 4k miles
    on the clock in 2008. Shop around as there are equally good low mileage ST's to be had.

I'm still looking for a clean Futura or Moto Guzzi V11 Sport... Bellissima !!

Again .... It's your 30K, spend it any way you like.
    [​IMG]
  16. wrecked'em

wrecked'em satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer:
    damn i miss my triumph st. traded it for a tiger for better two up. what was i thinking. let her get her own bike.
  17. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    Let the dick measuring begin!
  18. Yostwerks

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, the Sprint ST has gone the way of most other SPORT touring bikes ... emphasis on gone !

Offense taken :evil
  19. Superzoom

Superzoom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I still can't believe they just slapped on some standard Givi luggage. It's a $30,000 bike, for Pete's sake. Put some effort into it, man! The Givi's look positively mundane on the Motus, for some reason. They missed out on an opportunity to add some much needed style to the bike with some funky looking bags.
  20. Yostwerks

Oddometer:
    Perhaps they should have subcontracted the pannier's out to Corbin.

Funky AND expensive ($1900US) - http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/kzx14bag.shtml