Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Berin

Berin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Emmbeedee, could you elaborate please? I can see the Speed cam POI files. If I touch Proximity Alerts>Creat Alarm>Extras then I can see the speed cam locations listed under "all databases" - do I have to activate each one? Or is the proximity alert set by the POI downloader settings?

thanks!
  2. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:
    I'm just I just missed it somewhere here:lol3. What size is the tamper resistant torx? And more importantly, anyone know where I can get a really short one? (I may just have to cut and weld one to fit in the tight spot between my windscreen and the GPS., or drill a hole in the windscreen :lol3)

[​IMG]
  3. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Nut Clutch

Nut Clutch was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer:
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Did you look on your µSD Card/GPX/ directory for the geocache.gpx file? There is no reason why your Geocaches should not transfer from BC to either internal or external (µSD Card) storage.

There is NO performance advantage to having your data on the µSD Card. The only advantage, other than the obvious (space), is that when you place your Routes and Waypoints on the µSD Card they are transferred in a single GPX file so there is no duplication of Waypoints in the Waypoint Manager.

There IS a performance advantage to storing your Tracks and Routes on Internal storage. The Montana directs BC to write each Track and/or Route to an individual GPX file which makes opening a large Track or Route much faster and most likely you'll have somewhat faster operations on that file (like when navigating).

Having penned the above, it just dawned on my that you've been having lots of problems with your µSD Card and holder. Aside from making sure there is a geocache.gpx file on there, you may want to try resetting the card in the holder.

Cheers,
  6. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Two choices:
    1. Travel with someone who has really small hands, or
    2. Drill a hole in the windscreen.

Oh, gee, I totally missed the Ad. . . I mean cool mini-tablet on your handlebars.

Cheers,
  7. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delay. I am in a tentt, without glasses, typing on my Iphone so can't help now.

Just finished listening to Ned Suesse, speak about his Dakar ride! Wow!
  9. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    I have the shortcut on my Montana and I did it like this, which technically is NOT a "Shortcut" but is a "Main Menu Customisation":

Setup / Main Menu / Select an item to change / Select Category / Where To / Extras

You will then have an Icon on your Main Menu that shows a "gift-wrapped box with a small magnifying glass".

Note: When you create a Main Menu icon, that option disappears from the "Selection Category" list to prevent you creating a duplicate icon.

Bob
  10. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    Seeing your list of folders, I think you should consider another folder for cardiologists.:evil

11. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:
  12. Berin

Berin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks! I bet that was a good talk.
  13. TravellingStrom

TravellingStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HI Dan

I do NOT have a geocahce.gpx file in EITHER Garmin folder, the SD card nor the main unit, what is going on? I have a number of Waypoints files, one is 17Mb so I am guessing that is the caches? But maybe not, I have other stuff on there as well.

I have reset the SD card many times, and just recently folded some paper and put that over it and between the battery, this has helped I feel from the past 1000km or so since I did it.

I have been getting masses amounts of error messages when I start BC with the garmin connected, check this out

[​IMG]

When I went looking for the geocache.gpx file I noticed many tracks and other files with zero or very low file size so I deleted them all, that may fix the above problem.

Still cannot find my geocaches though :(

How should I be installing them, 'send to' like I have ben or just highlight, copy and paste into the internal memory?

Cheers
    TS

++++ edit++++ Hmm, I just did a "sendTo" and a file appeared on internal memory as Wasypoints11.gpx but no actual geocache.gpx file?
  14. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    From long distance I can't really tell what BaseCamp/Montana are doing. But obviously it is treating your Geocaches like waypoints. Unless you are installing a lot of Tracks I'd say your GPS has more than a few problems. You can see that BaseCamp recognizes the geocaches OK so if you've tried the various ways to transfer the data (drag/drop, send to) I think at this point you should just write it off...

Cheers,
  15. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are locking the SD card, aren't you?
    From the Owner's Manual:
    4. Place the microSD card in the device with the gold contacts facing own.
    5. Close the card holder.
    6. Slide the card holder toward the bottom of the device to lock it.

When I slide the holder, it kinda clicks into place and I know it's locked.
  16. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Based on the information here, I have been downloading custom POI collections from the POI Factory and have set up separate menu items for them under Where to? > Extras by copying over separate *.gpi files. My question is how to control what the name in the Extras menu shows as? For example, in one list of campsite POIs, the menu selection name is "My Places". Some have usable names, but My Places is not very descriptive. Is there any way to change that or is it buried in the *.gpi file?
  17. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    I don't work with gpi files as such. I create the Folders ../CustomPOI/MC Dealers, ../CustomPOI/Campgrounds, ../CustomPOI/Trailheads, etc and then transfer the individual GPX (or CSV) POI files to the respective folder - e.g. Suzuki.gpx, Honda.gpx, BMW.gpx to the MC Dealers folder.
    Run POI Loader and point to the CustomPOI folder. When you go into Extras you will see the Folder names. When you click a "Folder" you'll get a list of the gpx or csv filenames (without the extension).

If you are using someone else's GPI file you'll get whatever Folder/File structure they had on their computer.

Bob
  18. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bob! I usually just copy the gpi files to the POI folder (no need for POI Loader, I don't think) but I'll copy the CVS or gpi files to a new folder and give it a try. :wave
  19. TravellingStrom

TravellingStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yap it is locked in but no matter what battery combination I use it still becomes loose, the paper helped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers
    TravellingStrom
  20. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Not that it's ever come loose but I tape mine down:

[​IMG]