Making penny-tech holster for liquid fuel bottles

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jon_l, Jan 8, 2013.

1. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being too cheap to buy these:

[​IMG]

I'd like (with Wifey's help) to make a strap-on holster to hold 4 fuel bottles. Might use a couple for water bottles, but would like the option to carry 4. The goal is something sort of like this, but more durable:

[​IMG]

We have a bag of spare straps, Fastex buckets, D-rings and parts off old knapsacks already, which will come in handy, but what I'd like to find and re-purpose is the "sock" to hug the bottles.

We'd close the bottom and include a safety strap through the fuel bottle caps, but still would like something that hugs the bottles securely and prevents them banging together.

This kit would strap to my Wolfman saddlebag or duffel bag when the extra fuel may be needed.

I'm betting there is something out there cheap and suitable, from outside the world of expensive motorcycle accessories.
  2. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of cheap nylon Molle pouches on Ebay, usually directed to the airsoft crowd...mag pouch, water bottle pouch, accessories or whatever. It's just a matter of finding the right dimensions for you. I'm pretty sure you could find something that suits your needs there.

Edit: As an exemple;

[​IMG]

9$ each
  3. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
  4. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to you both. I'll measure the bottles and look at molle punches. I can't buy US surplus on ebay because I live in Canada, but I have family there I could recruit.

Re: the suggestion for custom - good idea, but we can do the sewing part, and don't want to spend a lot.
  5. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I look at it, it's 9$ + 5$ shipping. And the color is...well, to each his own I guess. ;)

This one is 9$, free shipping.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Open-Top-Mol...110?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4164956b0e

And this one, 12$ free shipping

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Open-Top-Bot...631?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abe326907
  7. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's what I use myself to contain an aluminium bottle (water bottle but similar to a fuel bottle). I wasn't able to remind myself where I got it at first (too much Internet shopping maybe?) but I found it!

I'm pretty sure it's what you need.

http://www.manafont.com/product_inf...-water-bottle-pouch-buckle-lock-black-p-12176
  9. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow SgtDuster - that looks great! Free shipping! Looks like there is lots of other stuff on that site for me to want too.

I think it would fit too. 8.86" high works with the bottle height (8" to shoulder) since the top looks open.

3.35 in x 2.36 in = 11.4 perimeter inches. The bottle diameter is 3-1/8", so x 3.14 = 9.8", so as long as the rectangular case isn't constrained and will contort to round, it will fit.

Do you have any experience with this sort of Molle pouch? I.e. - is a rectangular shape pouch likely to handle a cylindrical object?
  10. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    You should check out an army-navy surplus store, the one near me is amazing, full of things like that and more...
  11. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    No such thing in Canada...at least, not like you guys have in US.

Our "surplus" stores are more "knock-off stuff" stores here, except for some good places but we usually better shop online.

jon_l, let me take some pictures for you tonight. I have this same pouch at home with an aluminium water bottle in it. I will take some measures and a picture or two.

The fun part is you can choose whatever color (or camo variation...) floats your boat. There're 2 different sizes and styles too, just look at the descriptions.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh, and here's one more site you could like: www.dx.com
  12. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Big help Sgt. Thanks. I didn't read your earlier post too well (I was at work). Obviously it expands to round shape since you use one with a bottle.

The size looks great, so the first pouch you linked to should do perfectly.

I already buy from dealextreme. Amazing how these guys can ship from China and Hong Kong no charge.

I need to decide whether I want OD green or desert camo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's my suggestion. It's rare I get out of that place spending less than $100...
  14. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I ordered 4 today, 2 camo, 2 OD. Can't beat the price (~$7 each), no gasoline burned.

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the input guys.
  15. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, the pouches arrived. I am a bit disappointed, as they don't fit as it looked like they would. Whoever measured them for the ad must have included straps, buckles, etc in their measurements, because a depth x 2 + width x 2 far exceeded the bottle diameter x pi.

I forced a bottle in, took several minutes of effort. You can't tell but that pouch is stretched really tightly:

[​IMG]

I am hoping there is some give in the fabric, because otherwise, insertion is a one-time thing. I'll leave the bottle in overnight, see if it loosens up. If that doesn't work, I'll try soaking it in water (works with new boots).

I guess I could remove the pouch to fill the bottle, rather than removing the bottle from the pouch.

Other option is to cut and sew in an elastic panel. Wife could do that pretty easily, but I hope it isn't necessary, especially since elastic relaxes over time.
  16. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    It's a canvass type fabric so it won't stretch much, a few mm's maybe. Soak it in water. Having said that, being snug isn't a bad thing.

Don't cut it.
  17. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well...I think that my own bottle is a 750ml because it fits better than your 1L
  18. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well 1 bottle in pouch is immersed in water, we'll see if that helps.

I tried the other 2 this morning, and I can report that the quality control must be pretty good, because the fit is exactly the same. I timed it, and inserting the 2 bottles upside down, which is easier than bottom side down because the necks taper, took 4 minutes. I'll leave them for the day, and then turn the bottles the correct direction.

Leaving the bottles more or less permanently in the pouches will work, but it is less convenient. Especially if I spill a bit of gasoline when filling, since it will absorb into the fabric and stink, rather than being able to just wipe dry with a paper towel.

I will ask Wifey to modify 1 pouch (I bought 1 more pouch than I had bottles, thinking it may come in handy), and see how that works out. I'll report back.

Thanks for the input & interest.
  19. Laconic

Laconic Old Normal

Oddometer:
    There's a guy in Vendors that custom makes stuff like you want. Prices seem reasonable and everyone appears thrilled with his work.
  20. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, I will have a look out of curiosity, but this is a tight-wad solution. Nothing custom is as cheap as this.

We made our own food barrel harness for canoe camping, and it is still working fine after 10 years. Until someone kindly posted up the Molle pouch suggestion, this was going to be a home-brew project.

If I wanted to spend $90, I'd go Rotopax, or $300, I'd get a larger gas tank. Thing is, I only occasionally feel the need for more range than the stock fuel tank provides.

I bought three 1L fuel bottles new for $4 each, and the pouches cost a little less than $8 each. So at this point, I am already invested for $35, and as it is, they will work fine. I just would prefer that the bottles were more easily removable, otherwise this is exactly what I wanted.