Show us your bicycle.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by kbasa, Mar 15, 2009.

1. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    :rofl
    "...a sad banana"; we miss you Ricky!

i've had a black pair of those QPs for a while that i got for riding my Scorcher; they're wonderful, but they're not favorite choice for walking a great deal.

if you like the look of those, you might also consider these:
    http://www.dromarti.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_29_13&products_id=15

[​IMG]

you might want to break the leathers in like we used to do with our old Vittorias and Detto Pietros; wear them to bed with warm socks *over* them a night or 2 to give the leather a chance to warm up and conform to your foot before you put a lot of stress on them. you, your shoes and your feet will then all be happier in the long run.

and before anyone asks, no tweed, pipes or 'stylish' facial hair here... :D

cheers!
  2. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    This cheapo light has the 4 x 18650 Batteries but one reviewer states " the batteries are not replaceable". Those batteries are available cheap on ebay -

1 can they be replaced in the battery pack or
    2 Is each battery spot welded together so that the whole pack must be replaced.

How many hours use did you get

1when new and
    2 what drop off in charge duration did you experience say 20 or 50 recharges??:ear
  3. djb_rh

djb_rh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm too lazy to look it up on my phone right now, but there are write ups on replacing spot welded in 18650 cells. Garmin uses them on the 276/376 etc line of GPS units, so the info is on this very site somewhere.

I've done it on those packs as well as others. It's not terribly hard, but you do need soldering skills AND a very good soldering GUN (an iron won't deliver enough heat).

--Donnie
  4. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Dood. Don't overthink this. Its a $40 chinese copy of a chinese copy of an American light.

That said I got north of 3hr run times on low and IDK on high. I typically don't run the thing on high 'cause its bright enough to see by on low.

...and no, they're not 1200 lumens as advertised. I've been told the T-6 emitter won't go that high. :dunno

M
  5. 225

225 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. 225

225 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those are cool too. Not really sure what I'm going to right now.

I might wait until I get a FS before I buy clipless...
  7. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Cheers. Thanks but its a forum, I love to think - I don't need more cheap chinese crap that gives up the ghost after 6-12 months! Found this thing which looks more interesting as it'll take a variety of voltages and lends itself to sticking some batteries in the seat tube..
  8. AngryPasser

AngryPasser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hope it is okay to post this question on here but I will be buying a road bike any day and will make sure I post a photo.

I found a 2004 Trek Model 2200 for sale and it looks to be in really nice condition. There are 2 issues that are making me wonder if it is the right bike for me. I will be buying the bike for casual solo riding for general fitness and possible group rides. I live in north western North Carolina and the roads are pretty much flat / rolling hills based on which direction you head.

The issues I am wondering about is that the Trek has a triple chain ring, never had one of those. Wondering if this will be an impediment to general riding?

The second issue is the owner states that "the rear wheel has a very slight flat spot that is barely noticeable on very smooth roads I really don't notice it". I am wondering if this is more than likely repairable by a local bike mechanic if it is noticeable to me as I weigh about 185 at this time.

I appreciate the feedback and hope you have a good summer.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I switched my bikes over to MTB pedals and wear Specialized's Sonoma (now discontinued, but, like their Tahoe and Primo line) MTB shoes. I'll never go back to road shoes.
  10. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    VAR, and probably other companies, made a tool that does pull out flat spots on rims. Done correctly it can work to repair them, but depending on the availability of the tool and the price of a replacement rim/wheel you might just go that way. Also, depending on your sensitivity you might even not notice the "hop" if it is slight.
  11. AngryPasser

AngryPasser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback on the rim guys, anyone have an opinion on the triple chain ring setup?
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    You mean the tripple front sprocket?

How long has it been since you owned a bike?

Jim :brow
  13. 225

225 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I will try the clipless pedals. Haven't made my mind up on a shoe yet. I am going to be using the bike for farting around town. So I want a shoe I can walk in too.

Going with crank brother egg beaters btw.
  14. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have Eggbeaters on my MTB and Candys on my road bike. I much prefer the Candys, as they're way easier to get into with their platform. BTW, buy at least the level "3" models, as they're full-bearing.

And, I walk around in my MTB shoes, all the time. That's exactly why I won't be going back to road shoes.
  15. Gander

Gander Newly minted n00b

Oddometer:

Chain ring up front, sprocket/cog in back right?
  16. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    The narrowest possible pedal with the softest possible shoe?

:huh
  17. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    "tripple... sprocket?" i don't think you've got any room to be throwing stones on this one,... :rofl
    while they might meet the technical/laymans definition of "sprockets" and that's what we call them on motos, in cycling the terms generally used are 'Chainring' for the front, and 'Cog' for the rear.

to actually address 'Passers questions:
    - i don't consider flat spots on rims repairable, as i wouldn't trust my teeth to a few hundred gram aluminum rim that's been bent twice. however, if you don't feel it riding (or more likely, *braking*), fuggedaboudit.
    if you *do* feel it you're looking at swapping a new rim onto that wheel (tape and transfer), and if you don't have have the skills to tension and true a wheel yourself, you're probably going to pay almost as much in labor for a skilled wheelbuilder to do it as you're probably going to pay for the rim.

- a triple chainring setup isn't going to shift quite as quickly as a double-ring setup, but certainly isn't going to get in your way while you're starting out, and might be a godsend if you ever go ride where there are actual hills. :evil
    (changing it out probably wouldn't be cost-effective, since the front shifter and possibly both derailleurs would also be specific for the triple setup.)

most critical is; does the bike fit you properly? if you can't adjust it to fit you with just minor changes in seatpost and stem length/angle, this isn't the bike for you no matter how great a deal it is or what componentry is on it.

cheers!

18. AngryPasser

AngryPasser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been about 10 years since I had a bike, gave my Cannondale to my middle son and will take my chances on the Trek fitting. The guys I used to ride with had their bikes fitted at a local dealer who used the Fit Kit I believe but I just rode and seemed to keep up most of the time and didn't develop any knee issues.

Being a bit older now I will find a local shop and get fitted properly as I understand this is a big deal in order to cycle properly.
  19. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Truth.

All the more reason to go with the Candys.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    No stones at all.:deal

I am a bike no0b, but I have seen tripple "gears" up front nearly since I was a kid, so I was confused. Semantics aside, I can't see any issues with three gears at all.

Jim :brow

PS Thanks for the attitude! :thumb