Helix question

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Zorro39, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Zorro39

Zorro39 Texan By Choice

Oddometer:
  2. bbishoppcm

bbishoppcm It ain't a moped.

Oddometer:
    Price looks fair, mileage isn't ridiculous, and it looks clean. I made a complete buyers' guide video for these, but to sum it up, check for the following;

-Exhaust rust/holes/leaks (especially around welds, and look for soot buildup where the header pipe bolts to the head).

-Carburetor flange cracks (these are VERY common, and almost expected; if the manifold is cracking, and the bike runs smooth, it's a safe buy; just replace the flange before putting it on the road).

-Tank rust. If the tank is rusty, plan on either replacing it or lining it with Kreem; I've used Kreem myself, it's good stuff when done right.

-Tires; the rears are good for roughly 4k, the fronts about 10k.

Other than anything seriously obvious (frame re-welded, salvage title, VIN tampering, engine knock, etc), it should be a decent bike for many thousands of miles.
  3. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    If it's as presented, you can't go much wrong.

Ride it. Look for damages and rust. Offer a fair amount less...with 26k miles, it's pretty much fully depreciated. On the other hand, it's a Honda - and it may be, with gas prices, it'll be scooped up.
  4. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Muffler is it rot out? Muffler gasket still good? Swing arm are the tabs it's bolts up to still good? YOu ve got the axle nut and then the 2 bolt that hold the muffler on and go through to the the engine. How old are the tires? Is this the orginal drive belt? if so it's time that it was changed. there are 25 bucks after market but honda wants 80 bucks.
    Any cracks in the rubber that the carb bolts on to. Since it's a usa model it's not 27K but 27 .000 miles as far as I know. Still good for thousands of more miles. I do have to say that the fact he saying it has to warm up before riding could be a sign of needing a bystarter which is 25 bucks and 30 min of your time to change. Also might be a CDI but I don't think so . Just saying a very slim chance of that but even so there 25 bucks after market. I offer a grand for it do to the mileage. THe fact you may have to change the drive belt and the bystarter which would run 250 bucks at a shop or 75 at home.
  5. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Not to get picky with the nits...but while you're correct, it's (almost certainly) miles, American shorthand uses "k" for "thousand." In other words, if you make $50,000 you might put your salary down as $50k. And when describing a used car, you might write the miles as 35k instead of 35,000.
  6. elite1

elite1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMHO, that's a great price. If this scoot was within 100 miles of me, this post wouldn't exist!
  7. mrnoitall

mrnoitall Banned

Oddometer:
    $80? Yikes, I've owned two helixes and never paid anywhere near $80 for a OEM belt.
    K = thousands.
    The bystarter would not effect startup in anything but cold weather. Some people remove the bystarter all together. I removed them on my scooters. Having to warm up is likely just a result of it being carburetor-ed.. Or at worse, it needs a cleaning. My 01 helix needed a lot more time to warm up compared to my 86.

Honda service won't touch a bike this old. I would offer $700 and hope to get it for $900.. I paid $700 for my 86... I was selling my 01 with 17,000 miles on it for $1600 before someone stole it from my front yard..
  8. Zorro39

Zorro39 Texan By Choice

Oddometer:
    Thank you everyone for the advice and information. I have not heard back from the seller, but will let you know when I check it out. I did find the videos, parts one and two, and they gave me great insight as to what I would look for. Thank you bbishoppcm since I am a visual learner, they brought it together for me.
  9. creighta

creighta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of the best all around bikes ever made, hard to go wrong since even the major mechanical stuff is pretty easy to do on these. check out www.slonaker.net/helixforum great folks that know about the bike.

The muffler gasket costs $2 and takes 5min to change. My helix clone muffler blew out at 6kmi and i was able to split it in half, gut it, and re-weld the seam in about two hours. Only personal experience advice I can give is watch the temp while test driving it and be sure to get it all the way up to highway speed to be sure it is kosher.

and yes, even the CF Moto drive belts are $80 here with Honda asking $120
  10. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    K = thousand and for everyone else it's Kilometers . Hopping down a bunny trail my dad always said the reason the usa used a different weight and measurement system from the start was one of the founding father of the usa had the market cornered on molasses back then and want to make for cash. There in why the usa gallon was different for the British. Then again My dads being full of shit before. Myself I ve never been full shit :huh:freaky. I also have this deed to the Brooklyn bridge that I ll sell you cheap. :lol3
    Hope you find your helix guy.
  11. creighta

creighta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The K In kilometers is because that is 1000 meters.