nwgs motorhome addiction and therapy thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by nwgs, May 20, 2009.

1. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I looked at that but my thinking was:

* It's got 170+K on the drive train with no rebuilds on file. Getting about that time I would guess.

* Its only got one Deep cycle battery and no generator

*no installed propane stove top, he's using a camper stove which is fine, but nothing special.

*Pop top sleeping won't be usable at the ski resorts.

* No heating furnace

*not an extended length model

In essence it offers very little to me in terms of advantages. Other than a couch that converts to a bed and some storage space, counter top and fridge.

A used class B (or C) with 120K miles or less for $2000 more gives me the above plus: a shower, toilet, generator, proper stove, sink and if I get a raised roof more standing room. At least that was what went through my noggin. If I'm waay off base please educate me as thats what I'm on this thread for:ear:D. Seems you are paying a premium for the Sportsmobile name on that purchase. If all I was doing was dirt biking it would be a better option........however the mileage is just a bit high for me to be comfortable spending $6k.

This looks a better package I think: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996...1155097461?pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item3cce0e8b75
  2. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    The simple home rolled redneck RV wouldn't be a bad choice. It's one of the things I considered when buying my Sprinter, but that's another story.

My little Honda will run overnight easily on a tank of fuel. Many people carry them and their fuel on a hitch hauler box. Or in the trailer with the bikes. It's very little hassle really.

In my little camper, the stove and fridge both run on propane. Other setups will be different. I understand composting toilets do a great job with solids. A Mr Heater works very well in small quarters as long as you're smart about it and don't asphyxiate yourself.

Lots of ways to skin a cat. That Roadtrek is not a bad solution either.
  3. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    I don't have a lot of RV'ing experience, just one cross country trip in an old Class C, to be exact. So, I may be way off base too. I think what you're paying for in that case is not specifically the Sportsmobile name, but the fact that it's one of just a few pop-top camper vans on the market. I am interested in something like that because I want something small, light and simple. I'd rather use the facilities at campgrounds and truck stops than deal with the crappy bathrooms that Class B and low-end Class C RVs have. A furnace and a generator would be nice, but I could live without them. I had a pickup with the same drivetrain in that van, and while it's not stellar in terms of performance or reliability, there's a bazillion Dodge trucks and vans with that motor and transmission, so rebuilding or replacing won't be too bad when the time comes. That is a lot of miles for any domestic vehicle, and is another reason why I'm not buying a plane ticket to go get it. If it was local and I could inspect it, I wouldn't be concerned.

Anyway, that's my $0.02. Good luck with your search, I'm envious of your position!
  4. team ftb

Oddometer:
    That would be a nice option, unfortunately its well above my pay grade.
  5. team ftb

Oddometer:
    Q's above in yellow.
  6. McNeal

McNeal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can see two possible issues with carrying the gen/fuel on the front bumper. (1) You may end up blocking some of the air flow to your engine. (2) Do you really want to carry a gas can on your front bumper that will be the first thing crushed in an accident?
  7. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    depends what your needs are but the styling of the bathroom is the last thing on my mind at 4 am when it's freezing out if you know what i mean. Ditto the furnace.

That sportsmobile may almost be at major repair time so a way lower mile generic rv for slightly more seems like a no brainer
  8. snakebit

snakebit growing old disgracefully

Oddometer:
    I'm in Sarasota Florida, and have been perfectly comfortable Summer camping. That said, I don't use AC much during the day, just need it for sleeping.
  9. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    I've carried the generator inside the van. It doesn't smell or leak at all. I wouldn't want to carry a gas can inside though. Honestly, I'd rather get a cheap little utility trailer to put that and my bike on though. One of the only things I worry about with the generator is it "walking away" while I'm having a meal somewhere. Sure you could carry it on the front.

Don't know much about those little 110V fridges but I'm pretty sure they don't care how level they are.
  10. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  11. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    That is too cool. Good thing I could live in it, 'cause I wouldn't be living in the house if I dragged it home :deal
  12. team ftb

Oddometer:
    hmmmm.
  13. team ftb

Oddometer:
    I was hoping a large chain and padlock would keep most people away on the trip. Once back in town it goes back inside.
  14. Da Bear

Da Bear Swimmer in the Charybdis

Oddometer:
    It's been a little over a month or so since we brought our 2003 Newmar Dutchstar home and parked it in the driveway. Since our driveway is just dirt, with a thin layer of crushed rock over it, I made a set of four 12"x12"x4" pads out of pressure treated lumber and positioned them under the jacks before activating them. In no time at all, we were nice and level, and the slides were out. last week I was doing some work changing a set of blinds over the galley window ( I hate those metal mini blinds,and I had a nice honeycombed Bali that fit perfectly in the space and matched too boot) all of a sudden, the rig lurched at the back, and there was an awful sound .It was well after dark by this time so I grabbed my flash light and went out into the rain(This is Oregon after all) got down on the ground and shined it on the right rear jack. I couldn't crawl under there, but everything looked stable enough to wait 'til daylight.
    The next morning I went out to survey the damage. I won't repeat what I said. However, a 2 foot across sink-hole, about 18 inches deep had opened up under the jack.You can imagine the words that came forth. We had some sewer work done a few years ago and there must have been a void in there just waiting for 16,000 pounds of RV to find it. The pad I had made, in this instance did more harm than good, as the hole opened up in just the right place for it to tilt into the hole, causing the foot to come off the jack. The end of the hydraulic piston was embedded deep in the hole where I couldn't see it. I retracted the jacks. they all came up except that one. Ok Plan "B" owners manual, manual retraction, ok got it. followed them to the letter. No good. OK, plan "C" Start up rig let suspension air bags fill. unit lifts. Place filler in hole then set 2x6 chunk between it and jack piston. dump air, forcing piston upwards. Repeat as needed until levelling system warning light goes out and shrill alarm stops. reversed all of the instructions on the manual retraction. and now we're ready to roll, from the looks of things, I'm going to at least need a new retractor spring. I hope to hell those feet are designed to do what this one did. A new jack would be a serious pain right now. I'll get under it again tomorrow when I can get it onto solid concrete and try to get the foot back in place......
  15. MeanMoe

MeanMoe one really mean cat

Oddometer:
    Glad you were able to get it retracted. Our RV parking area looks like pothole city. My best guess is that the contractor failed to compact the grading before the 6" slab was poured. The jacks have made several holes even with pads underneath. I'd love to replace the whole section but don't have the coin. Will patch and use wider pads.
  16. LC Garage

LC Garage On Any Sunday Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Voltage at furnace connector with engine off and not plugged into shore power is 10 volts, plugged into shore power it is 12 volts. Since almost any testing or diagnosis requires pulling the furnace, I've ordered a sail switch (odds are that is the problem) as well as a limit switch, when those arrive will pull furnace, check and replace switches, clean everything and re-install. Hopefully the next report will be with a working furnace. Thanks again for the tips and help!
  17. smoky

smoky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some time ago, I found a line of well respected diesel pushers. The model I liked was about 40', with an entry at the front.

The ones I could afford, were made in the late 80's and early 90's.

They look like a Bluebird Wonderlodge. All metal construction, no slideouts.

I can't remember what they are called, anybody help me??
  18. FAW3

FAW3 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Inital thoughts....

All metal...entry at front: perhaps a converted MCI or Prevost? Conversions were done by several firms, some on new coaches and some after service. Wide range of interiors/plans.

All metal...most made with mid entry: Newell.

Or could be a Wanderlodge...my FC is the "school bus" style...in late 80's BlueBird changed chassis/bodys to resemble the mainline RV style. These were typically 40'...the telling of most Wanderlodges of this era is the distinctive "goat rail" around the roof perimeter and a sturdy rear ladder for the heavy alum. plate roof deck and two spotlights on the front.

If you go to Wanderlodge Owners Group and look at the coaches for sale...you will see a range of the styles. A site for many other brands (Prevost/MCI) is busforsale.com
  19. smoky

smoky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Faw3 ,

I found what I was looking for: it's the Foretravel U320.

I especially like the above model, built after 1996.

I start my inquiries now, I hope they have a good reputation.

Smoky
  20. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    We were discussing these earlier on some of the RV threads. Nice, premium motorhomes that were built in a bewildering variety of sizes and engines in the 1990s. But they aren't steel construction, they are FRP bodied on a variety of chassis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD