Specific to Women

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by VelvtRide, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Newstar

Newstar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need to share my title this year with Dawn and Jeanae! Can we have three Queens? I think so!
  2. brazen13

brazen13 frabjous!

Oddometer:
    I love that it has a headband option! hmmm... could be one in my future! thanks! :D
  3. DualSport SoCal Girl

DualSport SoCal Girl GIRL GONE WHEELED!!!

Oddometer:
    I love this thread, because we are planning a dual sport camping trip soon. Although I have my list of travel gear down pretty well (I have also gone on horse ride week-long camping trips, where the issues are similar), it's always good to hear what others have in their go-bags.

Mine:
    -Toothbrush and mini paste
    -Hotel sized shampoo and conditioner
    -Shower gel travel size
    -Comb
    -Deodorant
    -Wet naps
    -Advil
    -Water filtration
    -Camping food, trail mix, and Clif bars
    -Water
    -Zipka Headlamps (2)
    -Wool base layers (don't hold odors and good temperature control); light weight for summer, thicker for winter
    -Wool socks
    -Makeup is just two short pencils-- one rosy one for lips, one brown one for brows and eyeliner
    -One skort and T combo, flip flops
    -Bathing suit
    -Helmet liner (the kind that's open at both ends like a tube)
    -Sunglasses
    -Skin So Soft with sunscreen in a travel size container (works as bug repellent & lotion)
    -Feminine product
    -Wallet/ID
    -Chapstick
    -Paperback book & journal
    -Sleeping bag and NeoAir sleeping pad

The above fits on even my KLX 250s fairly easily. Luckily, my BF carries our tent and mini stove and most of the water because his bike is much bigger.

The best thing I did was getting Lasik, because a few years ago contacts and saline would have been on this list.

As far as hairstyle, I'm a big fan of a single braid or two pigtail braids.

I have a story about that--- when I got my new jacket (Ventura by Rev'It), there is a detachable wind collar that velcros off. When it is off, it leaves a toothy strip of velcro across the shoulder blades. My braid kept getting caught in the velcro -OUCH- and it yanked if I turned my head sharply. DOUBLE OUCH.

I wrote to Rev'It about it, and they promptly mailed me a strip of velcro sized to go over that toothy strip. The coolest part is that the fuzzy strip also has reflective backing, so now I have a reflective strip across my shoulders and no more OUCH. I'm curious if they changed that in the next round of production (would have been easy-- just reversing which part of the velcro goes on each piece so that the fuzzy side remains when the wind collar comes off).

I really love Rev'It. They rock!! Before and after below.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  4. SansSand

SansSand Dirty Smile

Oddometer:
    If in bear
  5. SansSand

SansSand Dirty Smile

Oddometer:
    Great info Just some added things
    If in bear country try to dispose of any Feminine items away from camp site for the safety of others.
    A friend gave me a great tip...to wear a thin panty liner for urine drips when going in the wood is the option. Also instead of charmin toilet paper go to a camp store the have the same thing but biodegradable. Wet naps can be a little irritating try travel buggies wipes. Also wicking tops and under garments can help you stay cool or warm. If they dry fast super easy to wash and dry. Small space requirements.
  6. Kissy_Liz_1977

Kissy_Liz_1977 Live Spherically

Oddometer:
    St. Charles, MO (AKA the armpit of the world)
    Had a great time on my 9 day trip to from the midwest to out west and back. Lots of tips from the forum turned out to be quite handy. My hair was an issue, but thanks to several of the suggestions (I tried a few) I ended up (mostly) tangle free for the trip. Also, many thanks to those who suggested the Diva cup. It worked wonderfully! Very easy to use, not to mention comfortable. AND I didn't have to lug along a box of 'lady supplies'. Thanks gals!
  7. bluepoof

bluepoof insert pithy saying here

Oddometer:
    That's really impressive -- yay for you for writing them to let them know, and yay for Rev'It for solving the problem! Obviously they don't have any long-haired women in their testing department. :rofl
  8. azia

azia Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm a little scared of this Diva cup thing...to my understanding, it doesn't actually absorb anything, just holds it like a "cup" so....how do you take it out? :huh Cleanly, that is.
  9. swann

swann Just practicing...

Oddometer:
    Diva cup is awesome! Great list, I wouldn't have thought of all these things until too late. :)
  10. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    My cycle stopped before I got to try the Diva cup :clap
    So I don't have to worry about that stuff ..

I have mid back length hair ..
    And I too braid it but in 2 braids.. I never liked the 1 braid thing..:D

[​IMG]
  11. tuffstuff

tuffstuff Livin' Life Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah I don't know about the whole diva cup thing but I have hair half way down my back now and I do the bun thing so. An take it out when we break. I have too many short pieces of hair that get in my face if I do braids. If I cut bangs that would help a lot I bet. I also have the strange problem of a big head :rofl and if I use braids they make my head hurt under the helmet because I have to do partial French braids to get the shorter pieces. French braids add just enough more size to my head to make the helmet tighter. I either buy a larger helmet depending on the brand or a medium helmet and razor out parts of the helmet!

Here's a picture of my hair up from a ride a couple days ago. Lady dracos braids are much cuter :D
    [​IMG]

Here's my hair down in Daytona bike week last year messing around on a pole I found
    [​IMG]
  12. swann

swann Just practicing...

Oddometer:
    I was braiding my hair too but they get messy. I just bought two do rag type things that keep my hair in much better shape. My daughter liked the shiny chrome one and took it to use for riding the Atv so I might only have one now! :)

http://raci-babi.com/Helmet-Liners-for-Women.aspx
  13. swann

swann Just practicing...

Oddometer:
    Hmm, how graphic should I get? ;). The stem part is pretty close to the opening so you don't have to dig around or anything. Smooth pull and out it comes. Unless you're standing in your head the cup comes out without spilling. Hth!
  14. LadyDraco

Oddometer:
    I guess I never worry about how messy my hair gets ,even with the braids..
    But then again ya can just undo them and redo in less then 5 min....

I use to do the pony clip set low... But would get killer knots at the ends...

[​IMG]

I hate do rags :puke1 ... Could never get use to the feel...

But in winter I will use a Zub ... Micro tube that get my neck and head...

[​IMG]

I love that shot of you and the dancer pole TS..... :clap
  15. tuffstuff

tuffstuff Livin' Life Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree about the killer knots. Sometimes I a lazy and leave it in a pony tail only to regret the decision that night every time! I love the zub. I use that in colder weather too and you can use it so many different ways! Plus it is thin enough so doesn't make my head bigger under the helmet. :D

Thanks! That was a fun dancer moment. Hard to climb in jeans but was a fun minute to play :clap
  16. LadyDraco

Oddometer:
    Tip for the day .... Get some leave in conditioner ( I like "organix" Coconut milk leave in hair cream )and when you take your hair out of what ever.. put a quarter size in your palm,Then rub it in to the area of knots . Works wonders !!!:clap Big rake comb glides right through :D
    And it good for your hair at the same time , stops it from drying out in the wind...
  17. TXADVGIRL

TXADVGIRL n00b

Oddometer:
    HI,
    I am new to this site- so i am not sure if I am posting in the right spot. I am really looking for just the woman's perspective...
    Has anyone here done the RawHyde adventures course? I am scheduled to go in November and have a lot of questions. I am new to motorcycles- and have never been off road- not even a quiet dirt driveway... I got my license a couple of years ago and bought a F650GS but have only done day trips and around town stuff and still dont have a whole lot of miles under my belt.

If there is anyone available that has been through the course-I would love to pick our brain.

Thanks- I look forward to doing some trips like you guys describe- :1drink
  18. AnyDay

AnyDay Wants more time off

Oddometer:
    (Sorry if too much info, but...) Where do I start? I went to RawHyde in Sept 2010 with a similar riding history. It was hard work for me, but it was incredible and totally worth the investment. They don't just teach drills, they introduce you to what the whole off-road thing is all about, the community.

I was also very glad to get structured training before going out and getting bad habits or crazy advice from people. The staff's job is to see you succeed in what's being taught and they work hard to help you 'get it'. I was the slowest to 'get it' in my group (I was the only female of 12), but my fellow students were supportive. I also did the Base Camp Alpha trip which cemented the skills and made all the hard work worth it, getting to beautiful spots in the desert I wouldn't have ever seen otherwise.

Things I was glad I did beforehand:
    -ride as much as possible
    -got full gear, including hydration pack and motocross style boots (e-bay stuff to start off)
    -focused on cardio and strength training for a few months ahead (not essential, but I wasn't sure what to expect)

Things I wish I had done:
    -rented a bike that was same as mine at home (I didn't have a lot of riding experience so it was hard to get used to a different clutch/throttle response)

-Dawn
  19. TXADVGIRL

TXADVGIRL n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice- I am trying to ramp up the cardio and strength a little too and I need to find some motoX type boots.
    My husband is also in the class but he is way ahead of me experience wise and has ridden off road on smaller bikes... my main goal is to have fun, learn a lot and not impede his "good time" by having him worry about me wallowing around on the ground... :)
    Did they break you up in to smaller groups according to experience?

20. AnyDay

AnyDay Wants more time off

Oddometer:
    My husband and I both did the class together, too. We were in separate groups which was perfect, as you said, then he wasn't worrying about me. They broke us up into groups randomly.

I found MX boots on e-bay, kids grow out of them before they get nasty, so there are some good deals on barely used boots.