Go Sportsters

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Bloodweiser, Dec 20, 2010.

1. wrecked'em

wrecked'em satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer:
    yeah I found one in ark, with 4k miles for $5500. a 2006. I belive its a carbed model. which is fine with me. one carb right out in the open, too easy. makes a moto guzzi seem like a space shuttle. lol
  2. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I re-jetted my 99 and had to change a few dryrotted vaccum lines last fall, it was stupidity easy. Took longer to clear a spot in the garage, organize tools, and prepare beverages.

The 06 is carb, should be basically the same design.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
  3. theKite

theKite Ulyssean

Oddometer:
  4. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. wrecked'em

wrecked'em satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer:
    they are so easy to change digging these little bikes
  6. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    Wow. :thumb

Yep. I'm with ya'.

After seeing those pics/thread, my next bike may be...another sporty.
  7. Terrytori

Terrytori Namaste

Oddometer:
    Thankfully, it's this time of year again!!!!!

[​IMG]
  8. studad

studad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a very classy bike.
  9. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    That the new Bolt? :lol3

It is a very nice Sportster!
  10. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn! I better revive this thread from the 3rd page! :huh

Here's an update to my quest to turn my 48 into something more resembling a real "Go Sportster" that is suited to more serious riding than just tootling along from bar to bar...

I gathered my parts...

First was a set of almost new Roadster shocks that picked up from ebay for $41 shipped:

[​IMG]

I disassembled them using the handy little spring compressor that I built

[​IMG]

I got the springs sandblasted at work and powder coated them matte black using my little powder coating rig from Harbor Freight.

Then I put 'em back together.

[​IMG]

I decided I like the slimmer look without the spring caps better...

[​IMG]

I also picked up a longer sidestand from a Roadster from ebay, for a little over $21 shipped.

[​IMG]

Got it blasted and powder coat it black too...

So, then I had everything I need for round 1 of suspension mods...

Ricor Intiminators and longer Roadster length damper rods for the forks, and the longer shocks from the roadster...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Man! That little HF powder coating rig sure is handy! :clap Well worth the $48 or so I spent on it. SO much easier and quicker than priming, drying, painting and drying, with rattle can paint. Not to mention the increased durability of the PC over paint. Just spray the part, bake it in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F, and let cool. Once cool you have a fully cured, durable finish and the part is ready to use. No waiting for days for the paint to harden, and no noxious fumes either.

:1drink
  11. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    And here's the end result of all that research, thinkin' and plannin', so far...

Lifted ~ 2" front and rear...

Longer damper rods from the roadster in the forks, along with Ricor Iniminators for more travel, more cornering clearance, and improved damping. Longer (13.25") shocks, also from a Roadster (Ebay, $41 shipped), with the shock caps removed and the springs powder coated black. Also added a newly black powder coated sidestand, also from a Roadster ($21 shipped from ebay). to adjust for the longer suspension.

HUGELY improved ride quality, as well as cornering ability! Took it down a local curvy road at a fairly spirited pace and never even drug the peg feelers! Actually handles pretty damn good too! :clap And NO more spine jarring and kidney pounding shocks over even fairly significant surface irregularities, unlike the stock suspension on these factory lowered models like the 48 have over every small pebble in the road. Pretty damn happy with it now, although I do plan to upgrade the cheapo shocks to Ohlins once funds allow. These seem to work fairly well with my little skinny ass for now though. :D

I was a little concerned about how the longer suspension might affect the "look" since it was designed to have that long and low look. But now that I've done it, I find that I actually prefer the way it looks now... Kinda "chunkier" and more muscular maybe, IDK, but I love it! And it's SO much more fun to ride now that it's almost unbelievable! :clap

[​IMG]

So, to date, I've done the above noted suspension mods, Cycle Shack slip-ons, Sick Saddles custom brown leather seat, and a 4 pot front caliper upgrade from an XR1200. Much better comfort. Much better handling. Much better braking. And, a much better sound from stock. And none of this has been hugely complicated or expensive. Just low budget mods that made a very favorable impact on my enjoyment of my ride.:D

And here's the other side to show the brake caliper upgrade:

[​IMG]

So, hopefully I'm a little more qualified to post it here in this thread now!

Next up, maybe, is to install the NRHS Hurricane A/C set-up and do something about the fueling. Chassis and brakes first, THEN the engine upgrades... Might be awhile before I do more now though. Riding season is here! :clap:clap

Alexander B likes this.
  12. Tepi

Tepi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Might wanna look into Pirelli night dragons, I've heard just good things about them, but havent gotten them yet as tires are pricey. The OEM tires feel really vague when the road gets wet.
  13. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip. I plan to keep the stockers until they need replacement since, like you said, tires are pricey. But when it comes time, I'll look into those. Are they available in the factory 48 sizes?

And hopefully I won't be riding this bike in the rain anyway. It's my "fair weather" ride. To much bullshit to clean, and with the leather seat... I have other bikes that I don't mind getting wet and nasty though... :evil So, for now the stock tires seem ok, although I haven't pushed them terribly hard... then again, I don't plan to since I also have other bikes that are better suited for that purpose as well... besides, I'm gettin old :cry and have slowed down somewhat these days anyway. I did get a cruiser after all... :D

14. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Randy your bike looks awesome! It does have that beefy look and did not take away from the 48, if anything, it enhanced it (IMHO). I am a big fan of the roadster length suspension. It unlocks the potential these bikes have. It's fun not dragging parts in the corners!
  15. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    The bike looks great. THAT is how it shoulda left the factory.
  16. MitchG

MitchG Iron Collector

Oddometer:
    Ditto on a great looking ride! Tank fill cover in the lower right looks like an issue though.:D
  17. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Still trying to get used the the giant front tyre on the 48. Like the rest of the bike though. Still hunting for a left over Nightster.
    Lyle
  18. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:
    That 48 looks spot on, nice job Randy!
  19. SLOco.moto

SLOco.moto dos ruedas adicto

Oddometer:
    Factory: take note; travel and ground clearance=good . Good looks; not affected (even improved to some)= good.
  20. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, and one more thing that I forgot to add to the list earlier, although I did mention it earlier in the thread...

I swapped out the factory forward controls for mids a while back too. Much more comfortable for me, and improves control, IMO. Could actually stand them to be a little more rearward, but at least they're far better than the forwards that came on it. For me at least.