Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Here are some sample thread titles from the Garmin 810 forum.

Live Track Disconnection / Re Connection
    Speed Spikes - inaccurate speed
    810 stopped recording cadence and heart rate 6km into a spin today*
    GSC 10 and Heart Rate Monitor Problems
    Does anyone know how to send a formal complaint to Garmin?
    Who's course navigation works on their 810?
    Power Readings Issue

* The 810 is clearly having Ant+ connectivity issues. The last firmware update appears to have resolved my issues but I haven't "brevet-tested" it recently.

I'm not happy with mine but I trust that Garmin will get it 99% corrected sooner... or later.

Dcrainmaker should have been more forthcoming in IMHO.
  2. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    I knew I shouldn't have mentioned it here. :lol3
  3. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    I have a 705, which has been terrific. The only issue I've had is when it stopped calculating grades and capturing elevation last weekend. It still recorded mileage and the route, which was fine.

Tina's looking for a new HR/speed/cadence gadget, so I think we're going to try and find her a 705. My team mates have 500s and 800s and seem to have trouble with them pretty regularly.

And, of course, Garmin software is a hodgepodge of programs that should rightly be integrated into one. For example, if you have a Garmin Connect account, why can't you just load your stuff up to Garmin Connect from BaseCamp? Why do I need a separate map management tool? Why isn't all that stuff in one application that works as easily as iTunes or similar?

And don't get me started on their map policies. Let's say we buy another GPS for Tina. If so, I need to buy another set of maps that are only for that specific unit. Why can't I buy a household license and put those maps on the GPS in my truck/moto/bicycles? Charge me another hundred dollars and we'll call it a day. With DRM where it is now, having a dedicated Serial Number linkage between maps and units is outrageous.
  4. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    sell me one. my r1100rs is on its last legs, the gearbox is making nasty moaning sounds in 2nd and 4th.
  5. Ridge

Ridge Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    I had similar problems with my 510 and localized it to the Bluetooth/ANT+ fighting each other. After I turned the BT feature off, no more data problems. I'll now turn it on only after a ride is completed to do the upload through my phone, then it's off again.
  6. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    You're STILL riding that thing?!

:eek1

M
  7. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    It's his first bike, too. :wow
  8. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Yep - I've done that also and it seems to have corrected many issues. Mine didn't typically appear until in the middle of a "long" ride so I can't say w/ any certainty that it's resolved but I'm slowly gaining confidence.

Every Garmin I've ever owned has had its own set of "particularities". I think Kbasa nailed it in that they keep trying to plug and play disparate parts of different programs into one unit without a common operating system that's been brought up to modern standards. Too much hodgepodge... too much cowbell.
  9. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    Ran into some weirdness with our Edge 500s as well. Mine was replaced under warranty about six months after I bought it. My wife's is still running pretty well, but I haven't updated hers to the latest firmware either. :dunno

I usually 'sleep' my PC rather than turning it off and I've noticed that after a few rides, I'll have to reboot before I can get a working data connection to the Garmins. They charge through the cable, but won't link to the PC. Looks like a Garmin USB issue so far, but I'm not certain.
  10. TheNedster

TheNedster Lurkapotamus

Oddometer:
    Put a 2X2 Cycles carrier on one of 'em and take it to the CTC events of your choice! An epic bicycle ride sandwiched between two motorcycle rides, what could be better? :deal

Re: Garmin issues, I have an Edge 500. The main unit has been solid, I've no complaints. The speed/cadence sensor and HR strap...not so much. :bluduh I get cadence data, but no speed (based on sensor data, GPS-derived speed works OK) and HR is all over the map due to a bad strap. Both are common issues. I've yet to get a hold of Garmin to see what they can do for me, if anything. Reportedly, the Polar ANT+ HRM strap works with the Garmin HRM transmitter and is cheaper and more robust than the Garmin version.
  11. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I haven't had issue one (knocking on wood) with my 500. Bought it in Jan.

Got the upgraded HR strap. :thumb as well

100 years of TdF bikes

M
  12. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    Definitely give their support line a try. They had a replacement 500 out to me in a couple days.
  13. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    Thanks,
    I've never liked Garmin's stranglehold lock of their data. I don't mind the codes I need, but I'd really like to be able to more easily transfer from one old computer to a new computer without all the hassle. Last time it took me a few days of calling to get it working.
    That and in the time I've had GPS 2006 and on, the exit to my house from the freeway has never been correct. Google has it wright. Even my Nissan navigation is correct. Garmin is still wrong.
    I do trust the Garmin to find it's way back to my home set waypoint over my iPhone though. I didn't trust my Droid phone though either.

14. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    I detest Garmin software with a passion I normally reserve for Lotus Notes - I have been in the SW industry for many years and I have written more SW specs than I care to remember and Garmin software and all their controls etc. flat out suck - it was designed by idiots.
  15. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    It's like they've never heard of user testing or thought about how people are actually going to use it. I think that at one point, a guy from Garmin was a regular on the GPS forum here for a while.
  16. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    Ok just to post something that is not GPS related... just to prove that this is still the velo thread.

Here's a new one for me. I have a cyclocross bike that currently is running Pannaracer Tservs
    With mr tuffy tire liners.

Well I finally got a flat in the rear and in pulling the tube from the tire I've found that the tube bonded with the inside of the tire just at the edge of the tire liner. and pulled the tube apart like expanded metal, or a net like pattern.

Granted these tires, tubes and liners have been in their for about five years, I don't get/make much time to ride.
    And with the liners I've never flatted on this bike so I've had no need to pull the tube.
  17. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    I used to run Mr Tuffy's on my wifes commuter. We lived in the city and she rode through glass and metal and shit all the time. The first set the tube rubbed through at the point where the belt overlapped. The tire looked like swiss cheese, you could see light through it..... No flats after three years of solid commuting. The next set of tires I used a ton of talc. We just put new tires on it after I don't know how many years or miles. The tire was just mush. Never a flat. It is now pretty much retired.
  18. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    I started using tire liners back when I was a messenger in the late 80s early 90s.
    The have been a staple on all my functional bikes since.

Functional vs sporty bikes.
  19. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    With the new puncture resistant tires, I havent had a flat in a long time. Currently running Vittorria Randonneur Hypers, have run them over lots of hard pack dirt as well as pavement and gravel, haven't had a thorn or glass flat in a long time. my son runs gatorbacks on his skinny tire bike, same thing.

i ran tire liners for awhile in the 90s, never much cared for them, they are kinda heavy, and they are hard to get exactly straight, so they can leave your tires a little off balance. maybe they've improved them? these had a black and colored layer, of different materials, you installed them black layer out. I was using them on 26" stumpjumper and crossroads tires.
  20. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    The UI on their PC software is absolutely awful. Makes Notes look sophisticated... As an ex product manager/owner/architect, I'd love to have a chat with the Garmin guy and ask them what the hell they were thinking :lol3