New honda monkeybike coming soon! Honda Grom

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Dezzie, Jan 9, 2013.

1. rkwfxd

rkwfxd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK I am in. I'm gonna pick up a GROM 125 as soon as I can.

So glad I did not buy a Zuma 125.

I have been lurking on this site for a couple of years now. I was researching my options for a dual sport scooter of some type. The closest thing out there that I WAS interested in is the Zuma 125. But every time I go look at one in person it just lets me down. I have never worn a skirt and dont intend to :rofl so I really don't need the step through design of a scooter and I prefer a manual clutch.

Saw the MSX125 in other countries last year and realized it would be perfect. Fun to run errands on or just cruze around on and actually usable on a dirt road or two.

I am sooooooo glad I did not buy a Zuma 125 now.

This new Grom 125 (cool name too) has FUN written all over it. I am so glad they did not try to nanny it down with ABS and other BS like that. I also like the fact that it has disk in front and rear instead of disk/drum like most scooters.

Big thumbs up to Honda on the advertising too. Motorcycles are supposed to be fun and they made it clear that this one has fun to spare. I know from experience that 125ccs is plenty to do wheelies and stoppies and donuts. I wont do much of that but it is nice to know I could.

Also, I think Honda is spot on with their marketing and target audience. They will get a bunch of young / new riders on these and get those folks loyal to the Honda brand. The side benefit is similar to the original Ford Mustang. It was marketed to young people but older folks liked the ads and the target audience became much bigger. I am an older (50) and a more experienced rider (41 years and 20+ bikes) and this Grom is having the same effect from what I can see in just this one thread.

I also think that this Grom will be MUCH safer for new riders than the typical sport bike so many of them go out and buy. Even a small sport bike like a Ninja 250 is capable of over 100 mph - that is a lot of speed for a new rider. I just think they will be better off and actually, the rest of us on the road, will be a little safer if new riders are starting off on bikes like this instead of 250, 300, 500, and 600 sport bikes.

I look back years ago and failed to buy a YSR50 when I had the chance and I failed to buy an MB5 when I had the chance. Both fun little bikes. I wont make that same mistake again.

I have already started a list of mods for the new Grom when I get it...

That rear fender has to go. There are already smaller / cleaner options available to tuck the license plate up and the turn signals in.

Better mirrors are on the list as well as an exhaust system of some sort. Probably with a CF canister just because it will look cool.

Yeah, I'm in. I think Honda hit a home run with this one. Well obviously they did. It is selling well over seas and there is already aftermarket support for it.

Good job Honda.:clap

Can't wait.
  2. tbonestone

tbonestone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this looks like a boatload of fun! Now, bring the Zoomer110 along with it and I'll do a double bike deal.
  3. redhandmoto

redhandmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stopped by the local Big Four dealership this a.m. to berate my bud there for not giving me a heads-up on this. They literally found out about it yesterday...and of the five coming in their initial shipment, three have been spoken for by employees...
  4. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Worse. I'm cheaper and simpler. I ride a DR with a homefabbed $10 muffler heat-shield as my saddelbag racks. I'm looking for a good deal on a Rubbermaid wastebasket to cut/bend into a windscreen right now.

:rofl
  5. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:

My thoughts exactly!!! Add to my personal list, missing out on a Kawi KD80X and Honda Cub (the offroad version), and Honda ZB50. 3 more outstandingly cool little bikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
    Just called my Friendly Local Honda Dealer and put down a deposit.

:clap
  7. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    a big yes to this

I think in the next year or two, there will be one in my garage :clap
  8. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buy this and turn it into something you use off road. Honda's official promo vid makes it look like a mini urban assault weapon to stunt on. And maybe it can be? But it's still a small bike and a rider can stunt on big bikes.

All that marketing aside, this is a dumb little motorcycle imo. A good scooter is much better a small bike in many ways. I have no idea why this would appeal to a scooter rider or a motorcycle rider, or like many of us, those who ride and have ridden both.

This bike has zero appeal for me as a street bike of any sort. As said, a little off road bike. Otherwise :puke1

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I2FNtbgXgPA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:rofl
  9. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    Where's the kid in you?
  10. rkwfxd

rkwfxd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not surprised. I called this morning and it turns out I was the first one to call and they knew nothing about it. My buddy even had trouble finding it on the net while I was on the phone. No matter. He assured me since I was the first to call, when they only get three in and six guys want one, I will be at the top of the list.:clap
  11. rkwfxd

rkwfxd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, the EZ90 HOnda Cub would be the PERFECT bike for my wife. She would enjoy that even more than her little CRF150. If Honda ever came out with a similar e-start, auto clutch dirt bike I would also be first in line for one of those.... Maybe two.:D
  12. rkwfxd

rkwfxd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think a lot of it depends on where you live. For me the nearest freeway is 10 miles away but the nearest tight little canyon is two miles away. The other day I went for a drive in my jeep on the canyon roads, never got more than about 5 miles away from my house (as the crow flys) but spent literally two hours on the road. About 80% of that was small tight scenic canyons with no signals.

This little Grom will be just the stress reliever I need.:evil
  13. Bama67

Bama67 Comfort is for cars

Oddometer:
    I wonder if they already make a auto clutch for these? I know they have a huge aftermarket overseas.

I am in the market for something for the wifey and have been thinking Zuma 125, but this looks like more fun. :D
  14. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Cross posting info from the Grom thread over in Road Warriors....

I found the owners manual online for the MSX and it recommends valve inspections every 4,000KM or 2,500mi after the first one at 500mi

So basically every oil change. Frequent but with the head out in the open like that it should take all of 10 min to do.
  15. rkwfxd

rkwfxd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds reasonable but I will add a fresh plug at the same time.
  16. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
  17. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
  18. antwon412

antwon412 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That a fake dog in front of the hot broad?
  19. White Tenere

White Tenere 49 years on two wheels

Oddometer:
    I've been riding for 40 years, have had just about one or two of everything out there at one time or another.. My newest bike addition is a Yamaha Super Ténéré 1200, I also love scooters and have had many- just looked at an older Elite 150 today-probably gonna pick it up to just use as a store runner.

I can't wait for the Grom to show up, I will buy one for myself and one for my lady.. They will be a blast around the neighbor hood an to make a run to the ice cream shop on, currently using two matching 1976 Yamaha RS100C's for that duty.

I see the Grom as just a small little FUN around town bike, nothing more nothing less... I have already been to my dealer and left a deposit for two of them... I will be smiling like and idiot on this little bike.

Sometimes in life the less things make sense the better they are, does the Grom make sense? Not at all but I'm fine with that cause they look like FUN times!!
  20. Dezzie

Dezzie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well said fella, reading some of the posts some are getting there knickers in a knot as to why instead of just what is, you haven't even got them over there yet and the doubters keep on doubting, at the end of the day, just enjoy it, its a simple runaround that's fun and can be farkled as much as any other bike you guys get, its not a sportbike or cruiser or off roader, it can do some of these in a limited capacity but that's not what its about, if any of ya ever owned a monkeybike or even road legal pitbike etc, you guys just know what I am talking about, 60/70 mph may seem slow, but on a bike so small and manageable, its as much fun as 150 mph on the racetrack believe me, so enjoy it for what it is and have fun, some have closed minds so let them do what they like, while the ones havin fun don't give a crap and are out riding the thing! lifes to short to give a crap sometimes!:1drink