Noise in R65GS engine?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by robrob, Nov 29, 2010.

1. robrob

robrob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    if i pull the clutch, the sound became lil bit smooth
    where the noise come from? any comment for this problem?
    thanks all...
  2. Beemerguru

Beemerguru Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer:
    More about the bike...miles, last major service, tranny out lately, work on rear drive?

The Crazy 8 ball says "Beware the dreaded throw out bearing failure".

But that's a guess based on star alignment and which way the wind was blowing this morning. The cat also popped my nose 2 times to get me up this morning and that usually points to issues around the bearing too :wink:
  3. eepeqez

eepeqez Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the engine or in the gearbox?

While the bike is on the stand and in neutral?

Even when the gearbox is in neutral roughly half the contents of the gearbox are turning, including each gear pair. When you pull in the clutch, these moving parts cease to turn. Many vehicles, cars and bikes, make noticeably less gearbox noise when the clutch is disengaged.

The clutch release mechanism applies longitudinal force to the crankshaft, pushing it up against a thrust bearing. This may reduce noise in the motor slightly if there is excessive end float (room for the crankshaft to move for and aft slightly).

And finally, pulling the clutch slightly in makes the clutch release bearing make contact with the pressure plate. Usually a release bearing fault will manifest as noise whenever the level is pulled in even slightly, but not when it is fully released. If your noise goes away when you pull the lever slightly, enough to tension the cable, then the release bearing is involved.

Where did you find an R65GS in Indonesia? They're like hen's teeth, I thought there were maybe 6000 of them made and most ended up in Holland?

Graham
    1984 R65
  4. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    If I understand you correctly, they all do that. The noise is from the clutch rod bouncing back and forth while the engine is comparatively ruff during idle. It's caused by the play in the setup that should be there so the clutch spring isn't constantly spinning the throwout bearing via the clutch rod.
  5. robrob

robrob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks all for the responses...it seems that the noise came from the gearbox, so based on all the input i plan to change the release bearing.
    and yes, there are only a few R65GS in Indonesia, from all i know, less than 5 here. mine is year '91 production wirh R100GS tank.
    i'll share the pics later...
  6. eepeqez

eepeqez Long timer

Oddometer:
    I doubt it's the release bearing, but it is fairly easy to get at. While you're in there, grease the input shaft splines and consider putting in a new or relined clutch plate.
  7. robrob

robrob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well2...after change release bearing and relined the clutch plate, it is getting better now...here's when my lil daughter try to focus during sound check

Attached Files:

8. photorider

photorider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That seat looks like it has been lowered. Did you do that yourself? I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I also like the bar end turn signals. Nice bike!
  9. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    It has flat-top carbs!
  10. robrob

robrob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes, the seat has been lowered. i also use R19 tire, and change the turn signal so it looks more simple.

the flat top carbs comes w/ the bike.
    any info about the carbs? what is the difference between this type of carbs and the usual ones
  11. Ben Carufel

Ben Carufel Boxer Addict

Oddometer:
    My '79 R65 has flat tops, too. Thought that was normal?