The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Not sure about which one I used for the oil/ charge LED, but might've been 100ohm 3W since I've scribbled that down here.

I have LED turn signals and don't have a resistor on those, but I've replaced the relay many years ago because I went with 21W bulbs in the original turn signals instead of the OEM 10W. When I went to LEDs they just worked so smiles all around.
  2. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    I was hoping to make my own one with a DIY carbon box and some LED bezels and 12V LED's in various colours from ebay. Those LED's have a resistor built in to work with 12v. Are you guys saying additional resistors are required as with the fuel light (I think it was a fuel light. Been somewhat removed from this build for a while)?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How did you guys hook this into the OEM wiring? Cut the existing connector to the dash off and solder them straight to the wiring, or has someone found the male part of the OEM connector?
  3. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to cut the oem connector off and solder all the wires to it. That way I can un plug it.
  4. redbastard

redbastard Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. FinlandThumper

FinlandThumper Sleepy Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Last weekend I put the bike together for spring. I meant to lube the wheel bearings, which though they are sealed can be opened carefully. For three of the five total bearings (sprocket carrier has one also) this was no challenge.

The bearings for the Dakar and gs models are 17x40x12 bearings. Each bearing has a seal which can be removed wi a small flat blade screwdriver. Simply work the flat blade on the inside edge, where a small rubber part is located and very gentle pressure brings it up without damaging the seal. Grease was clean but a bit dry side (like all BMW bearings it seems), so I repacked the three. But in front of two, there was a second seal. The fiche:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51606&rnd=03252011

Referring to the parts fiche, I think this is the part 10, or shaft seal as25x40x7. At least, that is what I remember it saying and the wheel is back on the bike for now; this is luckily only a maintenance detail. I had a feeling that I was pushing too hard...so I decided to play it safe and ask how to do this.

Anyone have some insight on how I remove this shaft seal?
  6. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    The TT LED bar came with a sugarcube type male and female plug with 12 holes

They also sell the plugs seperate: male and female - these are from the swedish webshop, but I'm sure you'll fint them in the english one too.

[​IMG]
  7. zakopiec

zakopiec n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm installing a tripmeter on my 01 dakar (no ABS) - can I use the wire to the dash (speed signal) - what are its properties? I dont want to mount another sensor on the front wheel.
  8. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    No worries. Sucks how companies cut deals with Tyco to prevent connector designs and arrangements be sold on the wider market.
    Looks like TT assumes you to cut the OEM connector as well. What's that other plug?
  9. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this Remus exhaust, does anyone here have one with Jessie's, I think it will be fine, and I know I can modify if need be...............but would rather not.
  10. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    :huh
    The wheel bearings are SKF 6203 and the sprocket bearings are 6204 both cost around $5 ea here in Oz, very common bearing your local bearing or engineering shop should have them on the shelf. Seals are both 30x40x7 about $2 here. Seals just pop out with a bit of encouragement :D

oh and there are only two wheel bearings and two carrier bearings not sure how you get a fifth one in there
  11. Benjah

Benjah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most definitely good value for money. It works and looks better than stock. It's even better after you do the fork swap as a nice new Yamaha front guard bolts right on - no need for brackets or drilling extra holes.
  12. Ed Teach

Ed Teach Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What model of Acerbis is that fender? Is universal or specific for a bike?
  13. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    The other plug connects to the printcard on the IMO. It's where it receives the signal to flash the gear change warning light I think. You need the IMO50 rallye for this function and I mine is the 100R300.
  14. FinlandThumper

FinlandThumper Sleepy Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sorry I somehow counted to six wrong and got five. :DI was including the front wheel (two bearings up there) but then forgot the sprocket carrier has two bearings.

So you are saying the shaft seals outside the bearings (two seals, one on front opposite the disc, one on rear) can be popped off with more effort? Larger tool maybe, like a tire iron? (the seal I mean is not the seal on the bearing itself, but rather a seal in front of the bearing)

Thanks for the part numbers in any case!
  15. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:

Two seals on the rear.
    Rear wheel hub seal is outside the bearing on the left side just lever it out gently with a screwdriver( the seal surface bush just pulls out), the sprocket carrier seal is on the right side outside the bearing and also runs on a bush ( #3 in the fiche) which needs to come out as well. This seal surface bush sits over the axle bush #8 and is a little harder to pull but should come out easy enough. Bearing replacement is not hard but they are knocked out in order from the outside to inside exiting at the cush drive, inner bearings first, then circlip, then outer bearings.

cheers

Mark
  16. isgila

isgila Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good day inmates,
    my switches are cracking and hate the oem integrated type switches...
    in need of some advice pls
    - there are info on thumpertalk that you can use a kill switch as a starter switch, is this possible?
    - can I solder the oem kill switch togather to eliminate once and for all since I always use my ignition switch
    - can the oem throttle cable be use with domino or other throttle that does not integrate with others
    - is there a generic headlight/turn/horn switch I can use other than oem
    Thank you for your inputs.
  17. Parx400

Oddometer:
    Go to hyway dirt bikes. You can get a starter/ on/off billet switch and then change the throttle to an mx style one.
  18. Parx400

Oddometer:
    What type of aluminium is the TT skid plate made of? I need to get some aluminium to make brackets out of but I don't know what type to ask for.
  19. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Not sure, but it's soft enough that mine has a huge dent in the rear and I haven't even noticed hitting anything
  20. mr. matteeanne

mr. matteeanne Bender can pass him

Oddometer:
    Can someone tell me the proper way to check the oil on an 04
    What flavor oil is preferred? Dino or Synth?
    [​IMG]