The BMW HP2 Megamoto thread.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Joe Bar, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    At 20 kgs heavier than you, I found the suspension on the firm side. It must feel rigid to you!

It is worth spending the time setting the suspension up, you can get it a lot better without resorting to spending money straight away. Have a search on here and UKGSer there is a fair amount on suspension settings etc.

I would guess the rear locking is a combination of familiarity, weight and suspension, with no give in the suspension it will lock easier, but getting used to the bike will help as well I'm sure.
  2. NakedRider

NakedRider NakedRider

Oddometer:
    As my friends tell me - if you're suspension is too stiff, you have no suspension.
  3. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a tip...trade me your MM for my touring/sporty 07 GS...I thought the whole idea of MM or SuperMoto was to slide the turns!
  4. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    If I have read your settings and French correctly, then you have the front lower than the rear. Whilst this will make the steering quicker, it will also increase the instability at the front. Have you tried it with the front and rear at the same height, along with your revised damper settings?

Mine is still a little "loose" at the front, but only over 180kmh really, and is still pretty good at 200kmh plus (on the German autobahn of course :evil ).

After setting the suspension I decided I didn't need the steering damper.
  6. RoteEddie

RoteEddie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have now reset the settings to BMW default. I set the rear sag to 32 mm (recommended is 40 mm). I'm off later to feel what she has to say :D
  7. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not yet set the 'jambe de suspension arrière' which is in duo with the
    positon of the T maintaining the fork.
    I'm doing it as you tell it.
    You are right when you say that between 180kmh and upper is the
    strange phenomena...
    But my question is : why does the MM doesn't come as it should be
    out of the box ?
    I know that the weight of the pilot can affect a little bit but speaking
    with other MM's owners, it seems that everybody is searching the
    final good solution...:cry

PS
    your french understanding is very good !! :-)
  8. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    My French is not very good, but the transalation sites make it easier :evil , but your English is excellent.

Without doubt the MM came very firmly sprung and damped from the factory, I can't understand why they did it like this at all. Most of us ride on real roads rather than the track so why bother :huh
  9. RoteEddie

Oddometer:
    Just got back from 250 km of twisties. She felt much better this time. No heart stopping moments entering the turns. At the speeds I ride I wouldn't call the MM unstable, but she's sure not on rails as my T :D

Tomorrow I'll be putting on some new rubber to replace the original Michelins. I'll probably have to settle for Bridgestone BT-016 as there was no Pilot Powers in stock.

Can someone comment on the ground clearance on the MM? On the GS I was constantly scraping the pegs in the corners. Today I was just occasionally getting my boot sliders on the tarmac, so I assume the MM has a lot more clearance than the GS.
  10. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. RoteEddie

Oddometer:
    I have been putting in a lot of good mileage on the bike for the last week. We are getting on just fine. I usually need some time to get familiar with any new bike I ride, and I must say I now feel very confident on the bike.

Suspension was reset to stock both front and rear, and I have backed of 5 clicks on the front compression, and five clicks on the rear compression and rebound. I'm scraping my toes on any corner that permits, and could soon be looking for more clearance:D

I have ordered a few parts for the bike and could use some input on the following:

- what crossbar size will fit, 29mm like on a GS?
    - anyone tried Tourateh bar risers on the MM?

Ordered a screen, tankbag and a stand for the swing arm. I have not been able to change my rear tire yet as I have nothing I trust to keep the bike upright while the wheel is off. If it doesn't arrive very soon I will need to find someone to help as the rear is already looking like a slick.
  12. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    :ear I know this may not be the appropriate forum, but I figure you guys may read this more than the "Parts" in Flea Market... I would really like to get a SM wheel set for my 07 1200GS... I understand there were quite a few bikes sold with an "extra" SM wheel set and perhaps some of you have them just layin' around your garage! I would be willing to buy or part trade with my stock GS spoked wheel set. Feel free to PM.
    Thanks!
  13. bingbong

bingbong Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am happy to say I am now a new owner of a slightly used MM :D. It'll be one of only 2 that I know of in Portugal, the other one belongs to my riding buddy :freaky . though we are still waiting for them to arrive here. I saw that someone wrote that theirs was sliding at the back going into corners, can't wait to try that out :lol3
  14. Bruno Brasletti

Bruno Brasletti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ... and here's the "riding buddy" presenting himself!!!!! And yes, I'm also waiting for the Beemer to arrive:becca .... sometime this weekend?!...
  15. NakedRider

NakedRider NakedRider

Oddometer:
    You boys have fun out there. It's a great bike.
  16. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    The HP2 E SM wheel set came with a center spoked (w/tube) front 17" wheel that only has one brake rotor and an ADV rear 17" wheel (same dimensions as any stock R12GS rear wheel) All you need for SM wheel set is a front wheel and there is not a direct bolt on other then running the MegaMoto front Mag wheel. If you want a spoked 17" front, you'll need to order one from Woody's or something of the like.
  17. Macroenie

Macroenie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I had been lurking here for some info about the Megamoto. Thought I'd might as well sign up since I will be getting one next wednesday.

My name is Jeroen, I'm 36years 'old' and live in the Netherlands.
    My current bike is an k1200r with full Ti Laser exhaust (powercup replica), rapid bike 1 and airbox modification. It's putting out 162 rwhp/140Nm torque. Quite an armstretching machine, however there is more to riding than just sheer speed as I noticed when I took a testride on the megamoto. This bike handles like nothing else I have ever ridden :ricky

I'm planning on doing some upgrades and so far this site has been helpfull in providing me with info about getting some replacement headers. I ordered my headers at arosmarmitte.it, I hope they will arive next week or so. Hopefully that will get rid of the nasty vibration at ~4000 rpm.
    Next on the list will be some handguards (still debating CF or R1200GS ones), BMC racefilter and larger airintake and a rapid bike 3 to round it up.
    I hope I won't get sick of the small fueltank :cry

Cheers!
  18. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I guess that will be the next improvement purchase since I will have to wait a few for a MM :cry
  19. bingbong

bingbong Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok chaps, I need a little help here, I just checked out the pikes peak bikes and they have some very cool looking screens fitted. Does anyone know anything about these? Sorry I can't post a pick, I'm at work :wink:
  20. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    Hi bb, don't worry about the ack of picture I think we all know what the Pikes Peak screen looks like :D , unfortunately, none of us have managed to find a source for it.

This one on pepot's bike is about the closest, but no one has managed to get any response or reply from either pepot or the manufacturer about it.

[​IMG]

http://www.serrispecial.com/special.php

Let us know if you find one :evil