R1150/1200 Spark Plug pullers/front wheel removal tool

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Dan Cãta, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Dan Cãta

Dan Cãta Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I have decided to make some spark plug pullers for the R1150 double spark/1200 GS/RT/etc series. Along the pulling the spark plug pipe feature, it also has an 22mm allen wrench to remove the front wheel. I think it is also useful for the F800 series, for the front wheel removal (not sure about that, will have to investigate more).

Anyway, if you don't want to do this:

[​IMG]

and possibly destroy the end of the plug (happened to me once), you can use the tool I make.

Instead of making it out of aluminum and powder coat it in a fancy color that would peel off after the first few uses, I am making those out of stainless steel, never rusts and it will never de-calibrate. Here are a couple of pics (these are made out of aluminum as they are test dummies, to see that they actually work, and they do :D, like I said, the ones you will receive will be made out of stainless steel):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you see in the last pic, it is designed to work with what you have in the bike's tool roll, that you already have.

More pics and a short youtube movie of the tool put at work will follow tomorrow.

Regarding pricing, I am putting those at 50$, shipping included, worldwide and tracking # also available. Paypal is just fine or I can share my bank account details if you don't have paypal.

IMHO, it's a nice to have tool that you can carry around under the bike seat (imagine what would you do if your bike falls under water, during a river crossing and the bike gets hydro locking!) or use it in your garage, if you don't want to pay the dealer to change all your 4 spark plugs or remove the front wheel. Personally, I use it myself in the garage, where I do the maintenance for my own bike and for a couple of friends too.

Any opinions and reviews are welcome.

Thanks,
    Dan.
  2. Dan Cãta

Oddometer:
  3. David13

David13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If that will fit the front wheel on the R1200 it will also fit the front wheel on the F800.
    I like the idea of a dual use tool. The price is a bit much, but.
    Bu the real draw back for me is I like to torque the front wheel. And I don't see how I could do that with that tool.
    I use a two sided tool, and a socket is placed onto the other side.
    Also, the Hayabusa and probably quite a few other bikes use that size front wheel axle tool.
    dc
  4. Dan Cãta

Oddometer:
    Hi David,

You're right, you can't torque the spindle using this tool. The main purpose of it was the other end, the spark puller, and for the hexagonal end... I was thinking it can be used in remote places, where torquing is not that critical, until you would get to a garage or so.

Personally, although I have 2 torque wrenches, never used them :) Also, never broken a screw or stripped a thread, I guess I just feel it when it should stop. In the end, it's 50 Nm, that's 5 kgs on an 1 meter long bar. Using what you have in the bike's tool roll and this socket, and tightening it by feel, should get you pretty close in the 50 Nm zone :)

Ty,
    Dan.
  5. David13

David13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which I think is the situation also with the MarcParnes tool. And his is single use, not dual, as yours.
    BMWmoa had a question about these type of tools, so I posted a link over there.
    dc
  6. CycleDoc59

CycleDoc59 Wrench Rider

Oddometer:
  7. Dan Cãta

Oddometer:
    Does it pull spark plug caps? :evil

Dan.
  8. CycleDoc59

CycleDoc59 Wrench Rider

Oddometer:
    It's not often necessary to remove spark plugs to change the front tire.
  9. Dan Cãta

Oddometer:
    Perhaps it is :)

I know someone that has an old MZ250, built around '64. He built himself a hose that at one end had what you would normally use to inflate your tires and at the other end an adapter that would fit the thread to the engine where you screw in the spark plug.

When on the road and you would need to inflate the tire/s, he would just turn the gas fosset to off and then kick start the bike. Of course it would not start, but after a few kicks, the tire is inflated :D

The above has nothing to do with the tool, but I think it's a funny story, worth mentioning :evil

Dan.
  10. CycleDoc59

CycleDoc59 Wrench Rider

Oddometer:
    Sure; they've been around since cars first appeared, and work great! If the engine is more than
    1 cylinder, it will run while inflating. If one cyl, it pumps while kicking or spinning the starter (provided
    there's no automatic compression release) With 150psi on tap, it only take a moment to inflate a tire.
    I carried one for years, and still have 2-3. They use fresh air valves, so no gas-laden air goes into tires.
    Perfect for use with airhead BMW's, as the cylinders/plugs have easy access and run ok on one cylinder.....
    http://tinyurl.com/7d2dtw2