Tiger 800 Windshields

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by TAMPAJIM, May 12, 2011.

1. oilburner07

oilburner07 CUMMINS POWER

Oddometer:
    Yeah true ,I seemed to be having no troubles with my stock screen, because since new I installed the screen adjusters and all summer I was riding with it in the lowest position. it just might fix anyone else who is having that jimmy buffeting problem :lol3
  2. marloweluke

marloweluke The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer:
    Well, after reading through this and the Tiger 800 thread about all the different screens I decided to buy the Madstad screen. Reading about some guys having bought three screens and still not being happy did it for me. The Madstad is infinitely adjustable so I should be able to find a good setting for it. Mark at Madstad was very helpful and recommended the 22" screen as I am 6'3" tall, use the high setting on the seat and sit very upright. I installed the whole thing last night and it fits together beautifully. I did have to bend the additional side deflectors out a little bit to stop them from rubbing against the plastic on the tank, but no biggie. I like the fact that in hot weather I can remove the screen and just ride with the metal mounting plate, which looks pretty good. I am not fashion conscious enough to go as far as to remove the brackets so I would just leave them on. I won't be able to try the thing out until April :cryor so after snow board season has ended. It's -6 celsius here right now and snowing, so I'm off to the hill.:D It's all good.
  3. Marsh Tiger

Marsh Tiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've found the basic shield to be tolerable, but it could be better. I still need ear plugs, and get some buffeting. Since we are about the same height, I'll ask you, how much difference did you notice between the two screens? I agree the OEM options look best, but if the touring shield wont make much difference, I'll be looking for a less attractive more protective option...

As for the seat, I bought the OEM low gel with the bike and am quite pleased with the comfort it provides. I've not taken any seriously long trips yet, but my daily commute is 1 hour each way, with no discomfort what so ever!
  4. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    First long ride with the new windshield. Being able to adjust while on the move is awesome!!! I approve of the Givi

[​IMG]
  5. HomemadeBob

HomemadeBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I've got the stock windscreen in a box, the adjustable touring windscreen on the bike, more happy but not stoked. Anybody thought/tried piggy-backing the stock on top of the touring? If I can figure out a way to test it without drilling any/many holes I may give it a test. Up, out and away, and over the other. Adjustable, similar, potential, opinions?? Homemade
  6. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not to highjack, but what Acerbis handguards are those?
  7. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I'm the same as you as far as what I have on the bike and in the box.

Hadn't given any thought to your solution but would be interested to see what you come up with.
  8. Marsh Tiger

Marsh Tiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, if I'm reading this right, there is very little difference between the stock and touring windscreens? I was hoping for more from the touring screen, glad I haven't purchased it yet...

Nice Triumph sticker fbj913, looked like a great afternoon to ride too!
  9. fbj913

Oddometer:
    They are the Acerbis Rally Pro. I then cut the top off of the stock guards and zip tied it to the Acerbis for some wind protections. It actually works very well. Acerbis makes a lip that goes on the Rally Pro's that I will eventually buy.
  10. fbj913

Oddometer:

Thanks! I got it from my ADV Rider Secrete Santa.
  11. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Can the top part easily be removed?
  12. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    You can just slide it out of the lower.
  13. fbj913

Oddometer:

yes, it comes in two pieces. but i dont think its necessary.
  14. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Looking forward to some more pics and updates as you pile on the miles with this setup. This looks like the best option on the market.
  15. fbj913

Oddometer:

What other pics are you looking for?
  16. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Shots of the mounts, how stable it is. Set in high, medium, low position, side shots ...

You asked ... :lol3
  17. fbj913

Oddometer:

I cant take of picture of how stable it is but I can tell you it seems fine. If I remember right they had a high speed head wind + high speed bike warning. But I would say thats standard just to cover thier ass. It was windy as shit this last weekend so I payed pretty close attenting to the screen. It was fine. It barely moved. I have been traveling at highway speeds with it about an inch from the highest position. And almost all the way down when Im off road or going through really twisty roads. Ive got to clean my bike tonight so I will try to get you some more pics then.
  18. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Understood. And you shouldn't take those pictures for me - I don't even have a Tiger. :lol3

But that would be the shots I'd be interested it.
  19. spacekadet

spacekadet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, late reply to your post, but I just got my Tiger lat week. How did you find the standard screen? It's horrible for me. I will have to remove it until I can find a a screen that doesn't hurt my ears with the turbulence.

It you also had problems with the standard screen, that's a good clue for me that the adjustable will work.

I ended up removing the screen on my F650 Dakar and never replaced it. Not worth getting hearing damage for the sake of style :(

cheers
  20. fbj913

Oddometer:
    I kind of forgot about this. Better late than never I guess :D
    I will take some better up close mount pics tonight. Overall I have about 1500 miles on the screen now. So far so good. It seems to work fine. No real complaints. It keeps the wind of my body and does what its supposed to.
    Givi AF6401
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]