Radio control nuts

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by RC Pilot, Apr 15, 2009.

1. XpressCS

XpressCS Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer:
    The 48" Extra 330 is going back together :clap

[​IMG]
  2. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing makes me more pissed in losing a plane to an unknown failure. I really should find another hobby.

Lost my Me110 to a bad BEC....yup the thing that was to save me ended up costing me. One of the electric bits not soldered in....I was going to say well, but lets change that to AT ALL.

How the thing worked as long as it did is a real who the heck knows.

It was odd, did one flight...landed...a bit of a bouncer but nothing harsh, no nose over....as I am walking up to the plane I hear the esc's re arm....WTF? I check over the plane move wires everything seems a good...Plane stays hot.

I toss in another battery and right after takeoff....ke-runch. I was pissed....and just tearing into them on the rcgroups site.

HK did right by me however, sent me a new plane, Thanks stewart. Still building the new one and already cut the shrink wrap off the BEC....just not sure if I should fly with it again. It looks perfect.

All this toy airplane shit is REALLY CHEAP now a-days. Even the good stuff is cheap. I guess this falls into a category of shit happens as well, but at least I knew.

Losing a plane in a hear hold my beer and watch this moment will upset me but that is me, doing a nice circle and having it eat it is another.
  3. XpressCS

Oddometer:
    Feels good to get back in the air:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdVXMpgomPg

This thing is stupidly overpowered and floats like a feather, no bad habits that I've discovered. I stopped flying it because I had a bad servo in the tail.
  4. a65l

a65l Safeguarding our Precious Bodily Fluids. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear HK did right by you. Their customer service can be, well, spotty sometimes.

About that chinese stuff... on the bottom end, you take some chances. I've rolled the dice with a few chicom esc's and batteries, the batteries you just have to accept that they're gonna start to get puffy after a few flights. The electronics.. well, some work, some don't. I have a SU-26 that flew fine two or three times, then one of the fans just quit running. Dual fans, one ESC, the dead fan runs on the other leads. Go figure... but that's the chance you take, IMHO.

5. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    Radio (system) to include the in-flight stuff.

I'm sure you'll figure it out and get her back in the air.
  6. biggziff

Oddometer:

Nice flying. I'm itching to get out. Supposed to be 40 here today. 20"+ of snow in the yard. Ugh.
  7. XpressCS

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm rusted pretty well, need to get more stick time to polish it up... Guess that's what happens when you stop flying for months and months.
  8. biggziff

Oddometer:
    I found this past year that when I stopped for a week or so I'd be much better than before. Like I was stuck on some plateau and stopping for a bit cleared the block. Weird. I fly at least once a day right in my yard which makes it easy to over do it I suppose.
  9. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not flown outside in months.....today a 30deg temp drop and 50mph winds.

Beginning to wonder if I will ever get to fly again.
  10. Buzzbomber

Buzzbomber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally got to fly outdoors on my lunch break - checkout flight with blade 130x after a rebuild. After 2' of snow and below zero in the last week, near 50° and sunny and calm is a treat!
  11. XpressCS

Oddometer:
    I dunno if that'll work for me but doesn't hurt to try I guess :ear
  12. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    I've been improving in my operation of the EastFly4 simulator with the transmitter-style controller (I'm just inept now, after my 2 decade layoff).

I've always flown using a neck strap while holding the transmitter and using just my thumbs.
    I've been trying to use my thumbs and index fingers, and the results have been, er, "poor".

What do y'all do? Do you use a tray?:ear
  13. S3bird

S3bird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Well I bought my boy an R/C airplane for his birthday. He has logged quite a bit of time on the simulator his Grandfather has, plus his Grandfather was in charge of training new flyers with the local club for a few years. Anyway we need some snow to melt so we can get out to the field as its not plowed and its apparently knee to waist deep in snow by the entry.

Firebird Stratos
  14. biggziff

Oddometer:
    No tray, no neck strap, pinch method on right stick and thumb or sometimes pinch on left. Can't stand having anything attached to the TX.
  15. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Neck strap and fingers for me.
  16. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    Neck strap and a modified pinch for me.. Thumbs on top of the gimbals and pointer fingers on the sides.. It works for me!

Just picked up a BNF UMX ASK21 sail plane.. Tried it today with the included high-start system but couldn't get more than 30 secs or so of flight... I need to tow it up next time! Cool little glider for $50 at local RC show :D
  17. Saget

Saget Not quite a full house

Oddometer:
    Just thumbs for me, and rarely a neck strap. When I do use the strap, it's either when I'm flying my hexcopter and I need to move my hands a lot to flip switches and turn knobs, or when I'm hand-launching a plane. I can just see myself chucking a plane into the air and dropping my transmitter at the same time.
  18. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just thumbs on the tops of the stick, no strap....I will hold the transmitter.
  19. Mr. B

Mr. B "Cogito ergo zoom"

Oddometer:
    I have the ASK21. From all I've read, it's a disappointment except as a slope plane--which is how I will use it. We did try some of the much-marketed aero towing (I also have the UMX Carbon Cub which is the recommended tow plane) but that was really dicey operation, even in a huge indoor dome. Outside in any wind...then they are so small that at its hard to see what they're doing at altitude.

But again, at $50 it's worth it, as a sloper.
  20. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    I also picked up the ASK-21 a while back for $50 since they're now discontinued. I bought it to launch with my quadcopter.

The new UMX Radian looks pretty cool.