RTW on a thumper... Round the World ADVenturization

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Jul 18, 2012.

1. GhostRiderFC

GhostRiderFC Just a guy who rides

Oddometer:
    I hate your guts.

Love,
    Everyone who isn't on this amazing ride with you.
  2. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    so what you're trying to say that i feel kinda like :wings witha little bit of :rayof and you are sitting there like...:tb

OK!!!

then you'll really hate the next post later...

but good to hear from you all the same...hows it back in real life?
  3. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    i kind of left crooked tree lodge this morning wondering if i was doing the right thing, talk about a relaxing place that just made you feel at home, really like one of the family - sometimes you need that when you are on the road

i sent an email last night to a place in Hopkins, a tiny little village on the sea about 150 miles south, all i was thinking was it seemed like a good distance and it gets me closer to the Guatemala border

i rode thru some of the remaining flat lands and swamp/ marsh/ lagoon areas

[​IMG]

passing an unusual statue at a roundabout just outside of Belmopan, but to much traffic to stop and investigate

[​IMG]

onto the Hummingbird Highway, a real nice ride going up in elevation slightly to about 1000 feet + and thru the rain forest, huge palms everywhere, some unususal trees and very small bridges that a few semi's that passed must have had to breath in to get over

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hopkins is about 6 miles down this road that 50 yards in turned to a mix of paving from decades ago and big potholes

[​IMG]

my destination was Tipple Tee Beya, a small four room place according to the website (http://www.tippletree.com/), and on the beach front, that would be correct and this is my view from my room, 20 yards from the Caribbean Sea

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i read this and it seemed like a good reason to make a visit...Today Hopkins is a small but vibrant community of approximately 1,000 villagers. The people live mostly by farming and fishing, and more recently many have found work in the growing tourist industry. The residents are known for their friendliness and genuine hospitality, and welcome visitors to their village. Hopkins has a selection of gift shops, restaurants and small bars. Hopkins was recently voted "The Friendliest Village in Belize" by Belize First Magazine.

...and everybody does say hello and wave as you ride by

so after a swim in the warm water, i am writing this sitting in my hammock - sorry CJ :lol3

[​IMG]
    dave6253 likes this.
  4. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    just heard a loud thud outside...:eek1 just coconuts falling from the palms, so i went and borrowed a machete...

not this

[​IMG]

or this

[​IMG]

or this...but she would be useful for lots of reasons, and i wouldn't need to do spanish lessons

[​IMG]

this kind...

[​IMG]

they're everywhere here...so i now have a snack in the fridge...this adventurer lifestyle is tough

[​IMG]
  5. GhostRiderFC

GhostRiderFC Just a guy who rides

Oddometer:

Oh, yeah... rub it in, why don't you!?!? :2guns

Seriously, it looks great. :dizave

Meanwhile, life goes on. I got in a few short local rides. Nothing special. Looking for a job so I can replenish my bank account. So, while I'm doing this: :vardy You keep doing this: :kat And I'll keep following for no apparent reason other than research and jealousy! :lol3

Ride on, buddy! :ricky
  6. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    I was walking along some beach trails in Costa Rica a number of years ago and heard a thump! right behind me. Looked around and saw nothing, looked down and saw the biggest coco I had ever seen. A second earlier and I wouldn't be here. Don't know if it's true or not, but someone once told me falling cocos kill more than do poisonous snakes in Central America...prolly not true.
  7. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Hi Paul

Looks Awesome!

Departure day has finally come for me. I will be leaving Shediac, NB later this morning, as soon as it warms up a bit. 3C this early morning:eek1. Thanks for the advice you gave me. I hope to see you, down the road

Kedgi

(Dwight)

I've started a ride report. Here's a link

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336
  8. booniebasher

booniebasher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this is a cover shot for sure
  9. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    funny you should say that, when i lived in the Bahamas and got my car insurance i was asked if i wanted coconut insurance? i laughed but the guy explained that more damage was done to cars than other by cars, then he said you can get personal coconut insurance but you have to go somewhere else for that as i don't sell it here...so it maybe true :huh
  10. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    aw shucks... :thumb
  11. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    just to a few shots to make you wonder why you are sitting in your office and not riding in exotic locations that only cost a few bucks a day...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

more food just arrives hourly :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so its back to the hammock for me and maybe a few :slurp and then some :jkam
  12. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Arrrgh! :baldy

[​IMG]

Ok... I feel better now. More pics please! :D
  13. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    this is all very cruel......:cry
  14. syntec4

syntec4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pictures. I see the bike is from Chorley yamaha! Small world.

Stay safe.
  15. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    thats too funny Kelly :rofl
  16. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Bike is but i'm not...i'm a London boy
  17. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    :wings :wave :rayof :poser
  18. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    just checked my bank account and the Mexican fees/ deposits have been returned, so i was charged :deal

$400 for importing the bike (deposit)
    $50.45 import paperwork fee for the TVIP
    $22.96 visa fee me me

i know some of you always inquire on fees and there you are, its for my reference for later date too, obviously the figures may change a little for others dependent on the current exchange rate
  19. ratbikemike

ratbikemike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I been following you and hey,!! I wanta go to Belize too!! And I am in Chetumal , Mexico. So, I got up this morning, found the Kawasaki dealer, such as it was, paid $190 ($14.25us ) for a fram oil filter, smiled at the counter help, got some lunch and headed for the gate. I was not in the best humor. I had been thinking about my deposit and wondering how that would work out. I was asked for $300 ($22.50us) for an exit tax. I declined their offer without quotable offence and went back to town. The rest of the day did go really well. But I gotta know: Is that right? And there was a guy being way to friendly. He said ' Don't be scared' , which I hear as a warning. Anyway. What should I expect? If you could help out I would be very grateful. It helps me a lot, to kinda know what to expect. I do have 4 more months on may Mexican Visa etc, so this is not a real crisis. ratbikemike
  20. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Oh HELL yeah....I'm weak to temptation what can I say? :shog

It occurs to me that for current pricing, we could just check with President Obama's Secret Service and get a breakdown by country..... :rofl

On a serious note, I just want to say; thank you for explaining the ins and outs of the border crossings, that kind of info is extremely helpful. In fact, it seems to me that we should start a sub forum just for that subject, with people posting what they did - that way we could keep it up to date and save from digging through the site for hours.
    :deal