Northeastern Minnesota

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by arrowhead rider, Apr 25, 2011.

1. MikeS

MikeS You betcha! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    I'm up for a ride. I don't see anything on the calender for Saturday. Do you have anything in mind?

I still want to finish a ride that Arrowhead and I started earlier this spring. I'd like to get to the Pigeon River overlook on the Reservation, plus continue on to the old border crossing. Maybe even walk in to Pigeon Falls, or ride if it's legal.

An option is to ride up the Gunflint to the Greenwood Road, then take the logging roads above the South Brule River towards Camp 20 Road and Tom Lake. From there head to the Arrowhead Trail and east towards the Reservation.
  2. MikeS

Oddometer:
    On the same note of trips, I want to get back for a second trip to Mexico this Sept or Oct. So far I'm solo, and I do prefer to ride with someone. My wife actually told me she prefers that too.

What I have in mind is a return for me to Creel and Copper Canyon. I want to ride from Creel down to Urique in the canyon, then take the "new road" to Batopilas. It's gravel to/in the canyon, with a river crossing near Urique as I understand. After Batopilas, up the canyon and east to the Gulf of Mexico and return to the States. Should be about a week in Mexico. I am working on getting some gps tracks from other friends who rode the "new road" earlier this year.

Here's a link to some pictures from my first trip to the canyon. The pictures do absolutely no justice to the stunning scenery when there in person: http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa208/LDHack/Log%20Homes%20-%20Construction/Creel%202010/

I did the Bato trip last year with 3 others, and crossed at Presidio, TX. It's a small crossing and no hassles. I trucked part way down, and if going solo I want to avoid that expense this time. Consequently the Sept/Oct dates in order to ride from here. The cost of trucking was more than all the time in Mexico. Copper Canyon is absolutely stunning, and I expect the ride from Creel and east to the Gulf will be nice through the mountains.

Trucking part way is an option, if costs can be shared.
  3. Mnrider2

Mnrider2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My deer stand is near a pond and I was sitting there half asleep when it sounded like someone through a 50 pound rock in the water,damn near fell out if my stand.
    It was a beaver slapping his tail on the water-loud.
  4. arrowhead rider

arrowhead rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mike S- Your route for saturday sounds fun. And the weather looks good! I'm in!
  5. arrowhead rider

Oddometer:
    Canoeing the Cloquet River after midnight on a very remote section when we thought someone was throwing rocks at us. Very nerve racking when you can't see anything! We figured out later it must have been a beaver or two.
  6. MikeS

Oddometer:
    So how about 10AM meet at World's Best Donuts in downtown Grand Marais, then head out after nutrition and coffee? I'm going to bring a sandwich, because there isn't much opportunity for lunch until we get back to the Shore. This route should put us on the Shore at Portage I suspect, via Mineral Center. The black flies are out up the hill, so hopefully I'll remember to grab some bug dope, or else we won't want to stop.

I like good weather. I was south last weekend on the RT, and hit big winds/rain along the IA/WI border on Saturday, then rain from Carlton to home on Sunday morning. I'm ready for a day of sun.

All others welcome!
  7. arrowhead rider

Oddometer:
    I can do earlier than that if you want. My daughter and I will be riding up friday afternoon so saturday morning I will only have to go 10 miles. your call.
  8. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    I'd really like to come along, but I've got to work this weekend. Drats.
  9. arrowhead rider

Oddometer:
    Where are your priorities my friend! Would have been fun to have you with. Especially through the tough spots!
  10. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    I know, I know. I'm ashamed of myself. I'll make up for it someday, someway.

By the way, if you haven't been through there, they've got Hwy 61 torn up at Splitrock again, down to one lane with delays. It will probably be best to bypass via Co Rd 3 and Co Rd 4. Looks like they're prepping to tie the new section of road in to the old, then pave.

Have a great ride.
  11. MikeS

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it's you and me. Donut Shop, 8:30AM.
  12. arrowhead rider

Oddometer:
    see you then.
  13. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    All this talk about Worlds Best Donuts has me excited to be headed that way in a month. If you are in the GM area, ride by the Municipal Campground and look for a Texas Flag by our Airstream, and stop in and shoot the shit. I will also have a ADV sticker on a TX. flag emblem there somewhere to locate me.

I plan on bringing some Lone Star Beer for something you cannot find in MN. Look forward to meeting y'all soon.

Donovan(FotoTEX)
  14. MikeS

Oddometer:
    LDHack & Arrowhead met for skizzle/donuts and rode. We succeeded in making it from the Gunflint east to the Camp 20 road via the road that runs east, on the north side of the South Brule River. Does that make sense to anyone else besides me and Arrowhead? After all that riding, about 1 1/2 hours, my starving partner who forgot to pack any nutrition wanted to head to Hovland for supplies. We did that, and ate pie and cinnamon roll. After food we headed back up the Arrowhead Trail to the Ringo Road. Spent a lot of time along the Pigeon River, including the two overlooks. We found Partridge Falls after a false start, the Grand Portage Trail at several spots, and rode on the Cowboy Road. After more searching and riding, we discovered we had already been to Ft. Charlet and the end of the Grand Portage, a destination of our ride. We even rescued a fellow on a 4 wheeler who crashed in to a downed tree and tipped his machine over. He couldn't get it un-stuck, then couldn't get it untangled from the branches after we got it off the tree. Continued on to the old Outlaw Bridge location, the original international border crossing on old Hy 61. Snooped around there, then rode south to Portage for more grub. Arrowhead continued to Ontario to visit Pigeon Falls from the free side, and I headed home like the responsible adult that I am.

I didn't bring a camera, nor did I bring bug dope. I had food with me, and offered myself as food for the blackflies. Arrowhead has the bug dope plus a camera, and he also has all the pictures. He has a really kool camera, and it's pink!

I tipped over only once, and no one saw it except the Border Patrol remote cameras on the Cowboy Road. We had at least one small stream crossing because of a washed out culvert, plus plenty of other dual sport stuff. The day was sunny, the scenery wonderful, and the riding just perfect. The blackflies were thick, but they can't keep up with a motorcycle, although I had to stop for one that got inside my partially open helmet, survived the impact, and began sucking blood from my ear.
  15. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good voyage. Couldn't have beat the weather today...unless one is of the opinion that this was indeed too hot. Quite a jump from the 40s & 50s we've been getting used to.
  16. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:
    Let's see the pics!! :clap:clap:clap
  17. arrowhead rider

Oddometer:
    Here are some pictures of this weekends ride taken with yes a pink camera as MikeS was nice to point out! I thank my daughter for being kind enough to borrow it to me. Had a wonderfull ride. The weather was perfect and Mike(You know the one who remembered to bring nutrition)(although he found out bruised bananas don't keep well in heat) and I seen some beautifull scenery and historical places. Also the roads we chose were as fun as they get. over 500 miles for my self this weekend with over 300 with my daughter on back. Mike and I would have put on more miles but his bike develops a strong pulling force whenever we ride by an eating establishment! - C-zulu- We haven't heard from you in a while. New woman in your life or what!
  18. arrowhead rider

Oddometer:
    Ok-having a little trouble downloading the pictures. Will try again tomorrow.
  19. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:
    Been pretty sick these past few days :puke1
    I've got My Vic in pieces getting it ready to go west to Utah.
    Rear wheel bearings just went out (Buell) on my way home from work today :huh

Then I go to start the R-1 and sure enough... dead battery...:topes

I'm down to 2 operational bikes now..:eek1

Going to be busy the next few daze..
  20. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    I heard you were sick. Hope you're feeling better.

I finally understand the advantage of owning but one bike - I can only have one broken bike at a time! Of course, I do still aspire to fill my garage to the point where I can break a couple, and still be left with a couple more good ones to choose from.