Regarding travel via Maxi Scooters, i.e. Burgmans

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by brodon, Jan 24, 2013.

1. johnyrrr

johnyrrr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Burman 400 and I wonder how much better the 650 is for Touring that the 400 is? Any ody rode both and can give a good comparison?
  2. Qaz

Qaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 650 is more like a motorcycle in both character and road manners. If you can flat foot a 650 then you will enjoy the added leg room, but if 5'8" or shorter the 400 is fine. Both have excellent weather coverage but where the 650 really shines is on the interstate, where it is turning far less RPM's at cruising speed! The 650 also handles better in the curves, although you will not notice it unless you are really cooking. Power wise it is not even close, 650 all the way. That being said, I chose the 400 because it is so much handier around town, a smaller person than I can ride it, it does a great job touring solo and it gets 70mpg running it fairly hard. I have a touring bike for two up travel and it works far better than any maxi-scooter in that role. If this tells you anything, I have several friends that own multi brand dealerships, and they bought the Burgman 400 for themselves over either the 650 Burgman or Silverwing because of the versatility. The choice is yours!
  3. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    I think it's most simply summarized by saying the 400 feels like a big scooter and the 650 feels like a motorcycle.
  4. johnyrrr

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys, I have a 400 Burg thats still in rebuilding stages that I havent even rode yet but am dying to. I was just wondering the differences from those that have tried both. I cant wait to get the 400 inspected so I can get it on the road here, really looking forward to the power of the 400 after having a Zuma 125 and still have a Zuma50.:rofl
  5. Qaz

Qaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are doing any cylinder work, have you considered taking it out to a 450 if there is enough metal in there?
  6. johnyrrr

Oddometer:
    No engine work. Previous owner ran into the back of something so all the plastic was screwed up and headlights broken. its going to be a naked Burgman when its back on the road, just havent had much time lately.

7. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:

I'm not up there in years yet (will be 54 next month) but have some serious disabilities, including serious arthritis and fibromyalgia. I plan to retire on my 55th birthday, just 13 months away. Yippeeeee!!!! I just sold my '95 Goldwing today, after thinking about it for awhile. It was getting to be to much for me to handle in parking lots and tight places. But what finally made up my mind was it's 35 mpg. I literally couldn't afford to ride it anymore.

The Burg 650 is also too big for me, and I don't ever plan to carry a passenger. The Burg 400 is too expensive, and is only available with ABS, which is not for me. Same thing for the Silverwing. After selling the 'Wing, I have enough to pay cash for a new Majesty. I'm going to test ride it again, I can't afford to make a mistake, as it will be my last new bike. I need it to last 100,000 plus miles, mostly at highway speeds. I have not found anyone who put anywhere near that kind of mileage on one yet.
  8. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jerry;
    you should look at the Burgman usa forum, used machines with low mileage show up there for sale frequently. I have no experience with the Majesty , but I think they did not sell well here in the states and I do not recall seeing any posts about them with high mileage. So I wonder if it is a good machine for the length of time and miles you plan to put on. ??
  9. Starbuck21

Starbuck21 Manly scooterist!

Oddometer:
    I also have ridden loads of two-wheelers over the years. Last year I fell in love with a 2012 Silver Wing and have not looked back! Since May I have put 5500 miles on it with 0 problems. Here is a link to a solo trip I made to Yosemite last summer:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824559

Next week I am taking a trip with two other friends to the Monument Valley, Southern Utah area. Actually two of the friends from my previous ride, but my buddy with the V-Star has gone to a Gold Wing! My Silver Wing, a Gold Wing and a KLR 650! Should be a blast and another 1300 miles!!! Sorry got to go change my oil! Good luck!
  10. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    I don't know how it is where you are but here in Canada Honda has ben awash in new Non-current SilverWings for years. They have been available for $1000's off MSRP, about the same price as a Majesty. Why is this important?

Check the Majesty forums. 70,000 miles is high mileage for a bike ridden on the highway. Truth to tell, I think that's pretty good for a 395 single, but it sounds like that's not what you are looking for.

A SilverWing can do the kind of mileage you are seeking and more without even breathing hard. It's no longer a trendy model. There must be non-current bikes and deals around.

I was reading about a retired gent on his Swing who had an accident, his had 294,000 miles on it and was still running well before the crash. Amazing!
  11. Motovista

Motovista Go Fast, See Nothing

Oddometer:
    The road is a lot harder on a Scooter motor than a Motorcycle or automobile engine.
  12. Qaz

Qaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would find it hard to believe that a Swing went 295,000 miles without at least one rebuild of the engine and alot of money spent in maintence. The problem with scooters is they are turning pretty high rpm's traveling at highway speeds, which does not lead to a long life. The Burgman 650 is the only one that I know of that has a relaxed engine at 65+ mph. But I would think that the transmission on the B650 may be a little suspect for the long haul. A motorcyle is much more capable of the high mileage Jerry is looking for.
  13. Phipsd

Oddometer:
    Personally, I tend to believe it. I see on the SilverWing forums milage of 100,000 and more is not uncommon with those bikes when used normally and as you have stated travel by Interstate at modern speeds is hard on bikes.

It's obviously an old guy who spends his days cruising around on the backroads. Used gently and ridden a lot, bikes can last many times longer than what is considered normal.

For example on the SYM Owners forum there is a couple who have a pair of HD125's who spend their weekends cruising backroads at a gentle pace. The bikes are currently at 55,000 miles with just normal maintenance.
  14. Phipsd

Oddometer:
    I think that has more to do with displacement than whether the engine is motorcycle or scooter. My engineer brother was vacationing in Arizona recently and rented a V-Strom 1000. His brother-in-law was on a Ninja 650.

Cruising at traffic speed (85 to 90 mph) the Ninja was working hard, the Strom; a bike with 55,000 miles on it ,was in comfortable cruise mode.

If a person is thinking of a 400 class scoot for the highway; 80 mph indicated is about all you can expect for going the distance. Even at that, the bike will be working fairly hard. A 600 twin like on the Swing would be running at a comfortable cruise at the same speed.

You're a mechanic, a low stress engine is a much longer lived engine.
  15. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a Scarabeo 500 in Houston that had 85,000 miles on it last service and was heading out for Washington State (guy who owns it rides it there it to Seattle from Houston at least twice a year) with no major issues according to the shop that services mine. He's been a regular customer of theirs for years. Got a couple of Vespa GTS on Modern Vespa that have gotten close to 100k but though the one who was intent on breaking that number had a close encounter with a deer at something like 87k. Scoots can make 100k if well maintained.

Oh and I know 4 people with Majesties all of which are please as punch with them and prefer them to the Silverwing/Burgman options. One has had to replace a pump but that's about it.