Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. NobeyamaGP

NobeyamaGP Nerdy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's what it sounds like to me. Depending on the age of the Tiger, you may have the 2 metal bars welded in to the filler neck instead of the plastic piece. My '12 800 XC has the metal bars.
  2. rrr70

rrr70 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It fell into the tank at second fill up.:rofl
  3. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    Oh okay my '12 has the metal bars as did my '11.
  4. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    there is like 8 pages of the filler hole bar discussion somewhere. this thread or maybe the XC offroad thread. some were plastic and they are breaking off and falling into the tank.
  5. thickwicket

thickwicket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Inmates....

I'm in Tiger heaven on my new '13 XC and amazingly, I have one month off to get to know this bike. As is always the case with a new bike, there are discoveries along the way. I originally posted this on triumphrat.net but thought I would throw it up here and see if anyone has any ideas...

......."I had the time today to go for a 4 hour ride: a mix of highway (keeping the RPMs below 5000 ) and city, some rush-hour traffic (first gear for MILES...) and a quick night-time spin to finish off the day. First of all, I am hearing a strange sound coming from either the front or rear wheel: it sounds like a moan. I know, I know... but that IS what it sounds like. I noticed it at around 2500 RPM, in first gear - it is rhythmic in that it seems to be controlled by the rotation of the wheel. Also, the rear brake makes a sound I can't quite describe...

I have had only one other new bike before this one (and I know all machines have their quirks) and I am determined to just enjoy this bike, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced these noises. You are right, I am breaking in a new bike so I do expect some things will rear up and then fade away as things loosen up a bit...."

Ideas? (And thanks!!)

thickwicket
  6. fbj913

Oddometer:
    no idea about any of those noises. maybe take it back to the dealer and have them ride it... :nod
  7. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Check your chain tension, dealers are notorious for over tightening a chain, especially with the longer travel on the XC and with chains, looser is better. You should have 1 1/2" free play. If it's banjo string tight you might be getting a harmonic off it as the suspension goes through it's stroke.

Got a center stand? Check your rear wheel spins freely and no binding of the brake disc. Check alignment of the rear wheel. You can use the string method but I like this Motion Pro tool for that job, makes it quick and easy.

[​IMG]

String Alignment method
  8. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could it be that the rear wheel isn't in alignment, and the brake is rubbing a bit? Can you put it on the center stand (or a stand) and watch the rear wheel spin and listen for the sound?
  9. fbj913

Oddometer:
    OOh i like that thing. A zip tie works well too. Just attach it to the swing arm somewhere and see if the wheel hits while spinning...
  10. some call me...tim

some call me...tim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, after some difficulty, the bike has finally made it into the shop. The diagnosis is as Mr. Chris suggested, the knock broke the detent wheel, which is part #5 in this schematic: http://www.bikebandit.com/2012-triumph-tiger-800xc/o/m154268#sch740799 The part is only $25, but other small parts like the gasket and circlips will need to be replaced. And part of the broken detent wheel is still in the engine, so an oil and filter change will be needed. Basically, looking at ~$300 for parts and labor, which is not covered by warranty. I tried to get it covered, but they wouldn't do it since it wasn't a manufacturing defect. The lady I spoke with at Triumph NA and she gave me the same silver lining rationale that Mr. Chris alluded to: it could be a lot worse with other designs which would require the case to be split in order to get to the mechanism.

So yeah, I'm kinda bummed that such a minor little incident made for such a miserable Sunday outing is costing me $400+. It seems like the Tiger's rugged good looks are actually disguising a glass jaw. I guess it's comforting to know that this isn't a regular issue (the mechanic said he'd never seen it before either), but still, a bummer.

Blacktiger is right about how there's no protection for the levers. I don't know if those brake snakes would have helped in my situation, but they certainly wouldn't hurt either. I'll be attaching some of those when I get the bike back again, for sure. I also wonder if a folding shift lever might have made a difference?
  11. fbj913

Oddometer:
    take it back now if you don't want to spend money on it. or stay on the paved roads for a better chance of not spending money on it. its a tough bike, but still has mechanical parts that can and will break. things happen.
  12. some call me...tim

some call me...tim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I get that. I've already spent a decent amount on things that are supposed to protect it, to help prevent things happening. This was it's first real jaunt into off road terrain, and as such, I wasn't going anywhere too gnarly, or pushing too hard. Just a low speed dump into soft dirt/mud and the bike was rendered useless. :dunno
  13. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    A folding shift lever is probably a good recommendation. Add the cable guard thingies as well.

I keep saying this bike is a ROAD BIKE outfited to go off pavement - IT'S NOT A DIRTBIKE. If you dump it and break shit it's gonna cost you.

No matter what kind of guards and protections you install on the bike it's still a 475lb road bike. One look at the air filter tells you that, and a quick glance at the curb weight.

Sorry yours broke, though I do feel for ya. :cry
  14. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    That's been my favorite part so far. Talking about the filler hole.
  15. JWeier

JWeier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone on hear have a sargent saddle for their Tiger 800? I just bought the low version and have two issues.

1. I can't install the riders seat when both bars under the seat are set to low. The issue is that I can't get both the front and rear bars under the lips at the same time. I've verified that any other bar combination (low, high or high, low) work.

2. The passengers seat latch pin doesn't latch. I've tried pushing down (and almost tipped the bike) and I've verified that nothing is in the way.

Any ideas, thoughts or experiences with this situation and saddle?

Thanks!
  16. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
  17. browneye

Oddometer:
  18. rrr70

rrr70 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is broken turn signals stalks a known issue on T800s? Found RR turn signal hanging on the wire. I guess another visit to the dealer tomorrow. :huh
  19. fmunson

fmunson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a similar experience whilst breaking mine in 25000 km ago; I can't remember what the official explanation was but it went away around the 1000km mark.

There is a tendency to over analyze every sound a new machine makes, lord knows I suffer from this syndrome with everything from a garlic press to a new hard drive.

Wear ear plugs and twist the shit outta that throttle as soon as break-in ends.

I was riding tonight and caught myself saying (to myself) "god^%~it I love this bike." This sound happens a lot.
    :lol3
  20. browneye

Oddometer:

Got my recall notice in the mail for them yesterday.