2009 Yamaha Tmax 500!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by rs-mn, Jun 6, 2008.

1. John Bentall

John Bentall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those continuous wattages assume that the grips are turned to max and that you run the Gerbings liner at maximum without a temperature controller.
    I would not advise the latter, certainly.

Hope this helps.

John
  2. piedevant

piedevant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE
    Originally Posted by kev187
    You might have a point
    Just get the full liner and repace the jacket linder of my winter 3/4 length coat. As long as the Max can handle the load of this and the grips.
    =beemerphile;20076869]Mine had no trouble, and you could always turn it down to the same wattage as the vest and still get some heat on your arms.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I used a Gerbing heated jacket and Yamaha heated grips on my Mk2 2004 Tmax, and I've used a Gerbing jacket and heated gloves on my Mk3 Tmax, both with no problems. I reckon you could add the heated leg liners and socks too!
    PNB in London, UK
  3. soboy

soboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I played hooky from work one day last week and took the Tmax asphalt dancing in the North Georgia mountains. It handles the twisties better than any motorcycle I have ridden in the last 40 years. And it is far more comfortable and has convenient, lockable storage that I use in ways I could not dream of on any of my previous motorcycles (including bringing my Nikon DSLR and a full set of lenses along for the ride). The Tmax got 58 mpg on that ride and when doing my post-ride cleanup, I noticed there are no chicken strips on the rear tire now - I am mightily impressed with this machine!
  4. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    :clap
  5. Sil80

Sil80 n00b

Oddometer:
    Greeting.....so glad to have chance upon this website.......I jsut took possession of a 2011 Tmax 500 for a steal and so far been loving the ride......after sorting out the fuel pump issue (oh well its more of a relay connected to the pump).

Am on page 57 and should finish reading the entire thread today..... Was wondering if anyone here can throw me a bone and send me a copy of the work shop manual to my email whyisadriel~@gmail.com (remove the ~)

Thks in advance...

I'm in the process of getting some leds tail and front signal lights .... will followup with pix and prices if anyone is keen....oh btw i'm in Sing_apore..........so things might be a little cheaper over here as there are a few accessories that trickle in from taiwan..................
  6. TheReaper!

TheReaper! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. Sil80

Sil80 n00b

Oddometer:
    Think I'm late for the party...seems most have moved on to other bikes.....if anyone is still reading this thread any idea if the yamaha sport bikes' mirrors would fit the Tmax 500???
  8. elamofo

elamofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No idea about the mirrors but I just sent you an email.
  9. Sil80

Sil80 n00b

Oddometer:

Oh ure a champ......great stufff ...will really help me out heaps.........:clap:clap
  10. aqua1957

aqua1957 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of nice sport mirrors and the service manual for the TMax if anyone is interested email me aqua1957@att.net
    mirrors 50.00 and manual 30.00 plus shipping
  11. Aussiewingrider

Aussiewingrider n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi from Australia

Iam looking at someway of lowering the T Max i could do the seat but do not think that's going to do much. Is there a lowering kit out there? If someone has lowered the seat has it help and by how much.

I need to lower it about an 2 inches

johng
  12. Sil80

Sil80 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, I'm new to the Tmax as well and I did read some guys shaving off the seat a little...not sure if you are able to shave off 2 Inches tho.....best bet is to find a upholstery guy and work with him to take off bit by bit...

Over here in Singapore, there are heaps of shops that do upholstery for bike seat so its easy....

Think this is the cheaper of the 2 option.....rather than changing the suspension....gd luck.
  13. piedevant

piedevant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi John, this is the radical solution adopted by my friend Colin Ferguson.
    http://bikeweb.com/node/896
    http://bikeweb.com/image/tid/74
    I still intend to do the same with my old Mk2 2004 Tmax.
    The inspiration for Colin's conversion was riding the ComFFortMax which was started by Royce Creasey in 2002 and completed by Andrew Gibbens in 2005:
    http://bikeweb.com/image/tid/37
    and Royce has since done a second ComFFortMax, based on a Mk3, for his brother, who has ridden it all over Europe.
    http://bikeweb.com/node/2537
    The Japanese have done lowering kits for Tmaxes, but the problem then, if you just lower the whole machine, is that you quickly run out of ground clearance in corners. Having scraped a Mk3 Tmax both sides, just, with the standard setup I certainly wouldn't want to lower it.
    http://bikeweb.com/node/2318
    In my view, Yamaha made a fundamental error in placing the fuel filler cap precisely where a 'short arse' wants to slide forward to in order to get his or her toes down onto terra firma. It has the second irritation of making it hard to use a 'scooter bag' because the bag is in the way every time you fill up. Nevertheless, I always use one, mainly to carry a padlock and chain. Yamaha (& BMW) should have done what Suzuki did with the Burgman 650 and put the fuel filler right out of the way on the side, car style.
    (If anyone's interested my account of visiting the UK bike show at the NEC in Birmingham, by Tmax, can be read on line or downloaded for free as a PDF from www.theridersdigest.co.uk It mentions all the latest superscooters and includes pictures of the Roland Sands dirt track Tmax, the new Burgman 650 and er, my own Mk3, complete with home made screen extension and Givi scooterbag).
    PNB in London, UK
  14. Zephod

Zephod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link to your article. I was curious about the Roland Sands Tmax and found the following set of images. Not your ordinary Tmax!

http://tinyurl.com/bcv5gkk
  15. TheReaper!

TheReaper! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love it , it's like a Tmax-Ruckus :D

TheReaper!
  16. HayHole

HayHole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I purchased a new TMax in 2008, one of the very first. Loved it and had no problems at all. Sold it recently, with 7m miles. It needed tires and a tuneup and had a few dings that bothered me because it fell over in my driveway. I'm now buying another 2009 with zero miles from a dealer.

Anyway, did I read on here that the early machines had fuel pump problems? Is there a range in the serial numbers or was it just hit and miss?
  17. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know the range of serial numbers, but the corrected pump has an orange (some say brown) mark on the top of it. If yours has that you are good to go. If not, you might as well wait for symptoms before you just routinely replace it. Some develop problem and some do not. Mine only had the symptom one time, so I bought a pump. I never installed it because I did not get the symptoms again. Look on the MajestyUSA forum for a reference to "TMax Fever".
  18. HayHole

HayHole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. I'll check tomorrow.
  19. O-livier

O-livier S'en fout la mort!

Oddometer:
    I have a 2009 which suffered Tmax fever during the summers only (did ride it all year long while in Boston and no such issues in winter). Replacing the pump is not complicated but time consuming (~6-8 hours). MajestyUSA has quite a few post explaining the symptoms. PM if you need
  20. oaxatwin

oaxatwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anybody have a stock exhaust collecting dust?