California Riders: Lane Splitting Stickers

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Surj, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    I feel a bit odd posting this in vendors - because I'm just a dude with a website and some stickers, but anyway...

I launched LaneSplittingIsLegal.com in January in response to the newly published CHP guidelines. My original idea was that stickers with the URL would "tell the story" that lane splitting is legal in California, even if people who saw the stickers never went to the site. I envisioned California roads blanketed with riders sporting stickers on their topcases/sidecases/helmets/whatever.

The magnificent folks at CityBike said they'd distribute stickers to all the shops they deliver their awesome mag to. So I did a run of several thousand stickers and they went out with the March issue, which had a cover story on splitting. There may still be some free stickers at Bay Area shops - if you're in the area, check the map here for locations. Huge thanks to CityBike for this.

I've been weighing in on threads about splitting, like this one and this one, and of course running my mouth over on BARF.

Want to help out?
    Response thus far has been great and lots of folks have asked how they can help. Here's a few things:

1. Get a sticker and put it on your bike(s)
    If you aren't in the Bay Area where there are lots of free stickers floating around at shops and meets, you can order stickers on the site here. The 4x3 sticker is the same stickers being distributed by CityBike, in stock at LaneSplittingIsLegal HQ (my house) in Oakland. They're high quality vinyl with a UV coating so they'll last, they're just $3, they ship for free, and I'll send 'em out right away. All sticker money goes back into the project - supporting the hosting costs and defraying the cost of the initial sticker run. Bonus: add your ADV rider username to the comment box and I'll throw some extra stickies in your envelope so you can share. Or just have more stickers for yourself. :D

2. Spread the word - post the link on forums, tell your fellow riders, friends, enemies, the media and anyone who'll listen. We all run into folks who say "Why do you do that - it's crazy!?" If you think the site contains a worthy answer to that, tell folks to check it out.

3. Like the Facebook page - just another way of spreading the word.

4. If you're in a club/group/whatever and think your members would be into it, I'll happily show up at a meet and bring stickers - just let me know. If you're not nearby or I can't make it, I'll send you some - or feel free to just order a few.

5. If you have some lane splitting information to share, contact me through the site or message me here. I'm working hard to stay on top of new developments but I'm happy to hear tips from y'all. This goes for feedback/"the site should have this"/and so on too.

6. Most importantly - be cool on the road. I have a uneasy relationship with the idea of "being a good ambassador" because I really think my riding is my business and dammit, I'll do what I wantÂ… but that fact is, we need to counteract the impression folks get from a few donkeys out there who are riding like asses and ruining it for the rest of us - as in everyone on the road. Take it easy, ride safe and be cool. The vast majority of the time (in 25 years of splittin' lanes) I've seen a very small numbers of intentional attacks/blocking by drivers. They're mostly just not paying attention and while that sucks, kicking off their mirror won't make things better.

I know, TL;DR... so in summary, thanks for the support from everyone so far, get your lane splitting stickers at LaneSplittingIsLegal.com, more good stuff to come.

Cheers,
    Surj

These are the stickers. Go get yours!

[​IMG]
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    If only this catches on in other congested large cities in north america. :cry
  3. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    Nice! I will plan on ordering a few. Any plans on offering a sticker in the diamond shape like you have on your homepage?
  4. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is great. How about a companion site/stickers, lanesplittingshouldbelegal.com for those of us in lame states?
  5. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  6. Velocipede

Velocipede Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plus a site/stickers for lame Provinces too :huh.

John
  7. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    Haha. Working on it - stay tuned. :D
  8. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap

Way cool!
  9. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Very cool!
    I'll be ordering some just because it's easier than trying to find em in the stores.

I too prefer the diamond but since you already printed these, I'll go with em.
  10. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    Thanks to you and Tedder for ordering stickers. They're on their way!

We're getting lots of requests for the diamond version - that'll probably be in the works soon.
  11. SOMA Man

SOMA Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I will definitely pick up and/or order some stickers. Thanks for putting in the effort to promote this worthy cause :clap.
  12. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    [/Quote]We're getting lots of requests for the diamond version - that'll probably be in the works soon.[/QUOTE]

OK, in the meantime I just ordered 3.
  13. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    We're getting lots of requests for the diamond version - that'll probably be in the works soon.[/QUOTE]

OK, in the meantime I just ordered 3.[/QUOTE]

Awesome - thanks! They'll go out tonight.
  14. Whitehorse Gear

Whitehorse Gear Moto Outfitters

Oddometer:
  15. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

That's a good video - been making the rounds for a bit now. I'm actually working on a video project for the site with a couple of other BARFers - probably split the videos into driver-oriented PSAs and rider-oriented how-to type stuff. We're just in the storyboard phase right now but probably will start shooting some test footage soon.
  16. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the States, but here in Aus, we tend to name significant changes of law for the person who managed to get the law changed.

I await to hear that the "Hooligan" law has been enacted in different states of the USA. :D
  17. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    Ahahaha! Nice. As much as I love the idea of a Hooligan Law, I'm just a dude with some stickers and a website, trying to help with visibility for some folks who are actually doing stuff. :D
  18. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    Hey all - if you have a funny lane splitting story to share, I'm giving a free sticker to anyone who posts their story up on the Facebook page here. It's gotta be LOL worthy, though. :D
  19. benthic

benthic glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer:
    nice work! i love it. I just ordered a couple stickers:)
    spencer
  20. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir!