2014 Yamaha Triple: FZ-09 / MT-09

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, May 31, 2013.

1. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, they definitely hit the price point! Jeez, why couldn't they have squeezed another gallon in there!! It looks bulkier than the Street Triple, and definitely not as clean. Seems like a nice improvement over the FZ8:freaky
  2. elamofo

elamofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm actively looking for my next bike. I will not buy one without abs. There's a sales figure.
  3. ferrix

ferrix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny, I would definitely never call Street Triple 'clean'. In fact I always thought it is a very messy bike - nothing on it is flowing or hidden from view...it is not meant as either praise or criticism, just an observation.
    I will say that in my eyes FZ9's headlight is a great improvement on ST - but then as far as I'm concerned, anything would be.
  4. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I see what you are saying. I didn't mean it was necessarily smooth. It just doesn't look as busy. In a way it is smoother than the FZ. The tank and bodywork on the FZ look more faceted than the ST. The plastic fairings aside the gas tank are a bit sharp and cheap looking. The FZ looks to have a higher rise tank, but maybe its just because the ST has a higher tail? The FZ just looks a bit like a buffalo if you will:lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good now make sure YAMAHA USA knows that.
    Their eyes are probably still hurting from all the ABS bashing threads they have read.

Modern ABS is good and light. About time a few more people woke up to that fact.
  6. travelR6

travelR6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    awesome bike so far... looking forward for a testride :deal
  7. 22224

22224 It matters not

Oddometer:
    I've yet to own a bike with ABS, so I guess I don't know what i'm missing. :rofl

It does look like the Street Triple may have some competition.
  8. Tripl Nikl

Tripl Nikl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, the FZ-09's specs against a Duc Supermoto, Street Triple and my DR's suspension. Thing reads like a supermoto and ST had a kid. On paper it looks like it should be a lot of fun.

Chassis
    Suspension / Front 41mm fork; adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.4-in travel [Ducati's supermoto is listed as 6.7; Street triple is ~4.5"; DR650 10.2"]
    Suspension / Rear Single shock; adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.1-in travel [Ducati's supermoto is listed as 5.9; Street Triple is ~5.3; DR650 10.2"]
    Brakes / Front Dual hydraulic disc, 298mm
    Brakes / Rear 267mm disc
    Tires / Front 120/70-ZR17
    Tires / Rear 180/55-ZR17

Dimensions
    Length 81.7 in
    Width 32.1 in
    Height 44.7 in
    Seat Height 32.1 in [Duc's standard supermoto is 34.2 in.; Street Triple is 31.5"]
    Wheelbase 56.7 in [Duc ~57"; Street Triple 55"; DR650 58.7"]
    Ground Clearance 5.3 in
    Rake (Caster Angle) 25.0° [Ducati's supermoto is 24°; Street Triple is 24.1; DR650 28 stock at 26-27 with SM wheels per ProCycle]
    Fuel Capacity 3.7 gal
    Fuel Economy** N/A
    Wet Weight*** 414 lb
  9. Superzoom

Superzoom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, hard to believe some of the complaints against this bike already. Frankly, it looks like a fantastic bike, especially for the price, with decent styling which isn't trying to directly copy another bike.

Of course every new bike announcement goes through the same reaction curve: new bike announced, speculation, people list their own silly niche desired features, teaser pics come out, people hate the teasers, bike is unveiled, people hate it for what it is not, people actually start buying the bike, hey the bike is pretty good, people finally stop complaining about the bike because it is pretty good... another new bike announced...

I suspect every single person who ends up buying this bike is going to love it. Light, different, triple engine, Yamaha quality. It's going to be a great bike.
  10. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
  11. desmoface

desmoface Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm likin' this thing...It's like a Triumph, but reliable. Yes, I owned a Triumph.

ABS isn't really a big deal for me, never had a bike with it, never missed it. Just one less thing to break as I see it. I'm not saying I doubt it's value, but it's omission is no big deal for me.

Steve
    05 st3
  12. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    I'm hoping we can discuss this without turning it into an ABS debate, but I agree. I will not buy another street bike without ABS. Other than that this bike seems like it will be fantastic. Thw triple motor, power and low weight seems like a fantastic combination.
  13. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    If they can put out the naked bike for 8 grand, does that mean we can get a mini-FJR for about ten?

THAT would be, to borrow a phrase from the past, 'tits'. :D
  14. Tripl Nikl

Tripl Nikl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, it does have blurble wheels. :norton
  15. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, way sweet. I'd prefer to phrase it as a daily, real world, street sportbike. But, either way, that'd rock.
  16. luckyguy19

luckyguy19 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't really see why so many have a problem with the looks. The headlight/cluster area looks so much more tidy than the speed/street triple. I really like the way the exhaust lines match the swing arm and the wheels look really great. My two gripes are the flat seat instead of stepped, and I would have liked to see fully adjustable suspension. But for the price I think its a home run.
  17. RobbieAG

RobbieAG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks interesting to me though I'd like to see an iteration with better fuel capacity and wind protection for touring purposes. No ABS is not a deal breaker for me but I would probably get it if it was available. I'd also want the charging system to be stout enough to handle lots of accessories.
  18. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some nice info just came up on motorcycledaily.com. The pics at the bottom w/Dirk Edge sitting on the bike makes it look tiny. I don't mean to be negative because I think the bike sounds about perfect (especially in a sportbike format.), but it may be too small? Tiny looking!
  19. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, I was gonna say all that. Especially that last paragraph. Thanks. :lol3
  20. DFH

DFH 270 deg crank

Oddometer:
    Who would have thought it? To choose or not to choose ABS has become an issue of posture.:fpalm There is nothing to fear with ABS. It is entirely transparent. Just sitting in the background, quite possibly never to be used.

I think the points raised in this thread is why doesn't Yamaha give US consumers the same choice as consumers in the rest of the world when it comes to ABS as a yay or nay option. As the self proclaimed home of world democracy thats a fair question.

Of course Mr Toad, if your motorcycling is entirely practiced on rigid framed, side-valve single cylinder curiosity pieces with tubed crossply tyres, points ignition complete with manual advance, amal carbies, 6 volt electrics plus a tank mounted gear change and if you tend to dress for your motor-bicycling adventures in Belstaffs & a pudding basin helmet, then I could understand your discomfort with all this modern tech.

But the reality is that the presence or not of ABS on a motorcycle does not detract from the techniques needed to pilot the vehicle in a skilful, stylish & successful manner. And that why we do it isn't it? Not as a show of bravado, not as a kind of lifestyle jewellery, but for the satisfaction of a well practiced craft. No?

BTW ABS wont make your penis shrink either.