2012 BMW G650GS Sertao Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Psychout, Dec 8, 2011.

1. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Inuvik is up there for me as I live in British Columbia, but certainly WAY up there for you indeed. Well worth the trip and in my opinion better scenery and a more varies road surface than the trip to Deadhorse that everyone raves about. Both are good rides, I do like Inuvik better though!
  2. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Swamp, yes the X Country bracket is the easiest BMW Part No - 62167696798

The XCountry bracket fits the GS but needs to be bent down a little (1 to 1.5cm) to clear the shock adjuster.
  3. Adventure boy

Adventure boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didnt use any brackets just positioned it between the head and the shock adjuster and secured it with 2 cable ties, took 10 mins to do and is very secure can post a pic if anyones interested
    Rob
  4. CTDan

CTDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me if the sertao has a rev limiter?

Thanks,
    Dan
  5. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it does.
  6. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why r u selling?
  7. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy days. I finished the thread.

My thanks go out to all the contributers. Nylon, I hope your back in the saddle soon. You are the man.

Now I've finished this and the G650GS threads. On to the Parallel Universe, while waiting for the XL1200R to sell.:gun1
    Now how do I post a pic of my Thunderbird on Weston pass?
  8. homme de fer

homme de fer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm still trying to catch up on the thread due to all the riding I've been doing. A couple weeks ago, I had to change out my TKC80 front while on a trip and decided to try the Michelin T63.

There wasn't any reason for swiching to a different tire other than the price of the Michelin is cheaper and other riders liked it better on and off road. I liked the TKC but, when new, it felt very "vague" on the highway and downright scary over 125km/h. As the tire wore, it got much better; it tracks great on dirt and gravel and is a good front tire with the K60 in the back.

The Michelin T63 seems much softer, has smaller knobs, and those knobs seem to go farther around the tire. It was pretty easy to install and I have to say, it seems to come as advertised. There is no squerreliness at highway speeds up to 130km/h and it spits dirt and gravel off-road in a way the TKC never did. I'm not sure how long the tire will last, given that I was able to get 16 000kms out of the TKC, but, I think it's a win if I get 10 000kms out of this one.
  9. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have about 1k on my set so far. Performance wise I'm very happy. Definitely not a street tire, but pretty good at 70-75 considering all. The rear is definitely showing some wear already. I think 3k might be the full life of it, especially if you ride with heavier loads. BUT a set of T63s costs the same as ONE TKC...

10. CTDan

CTDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
  11. homme de fer

homme de fer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly! I'm not a big fan of the Heidi on the rear; I just don't have any confidence in it in the rain. Off-road, it gets greasy really quick. I'm up over 18,000kms on the rear now and could easily get another 3K so there's no disputing its longevity.
  12. omid455

omid455 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had a F800GS last year, good bike but lacks character and feels jumpy in every way. Upgraded to R1200GS after couple of months, Amazing bike nothing short of perfection. Then got the 2013 G650GS Sertao this year additional to my 1200Gs to do more serious offroad. Fell in love with the Sertao. Light, Fast, handles great. It takes a little time to tune it right but when it's done it's perfect for what it is. So comfy on the road I can say at least 80% of the comfort level of the R1200GS. so fast offroad and when you drop it easy to pickup. This bike has character and it's easy to fall in love with it. Im selling my R1200GS for now!!!
  13. Adventure boy

Adventure boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive got a 2012 R1200GS Rallye and a 2012 Sertao and must admit they do compliment each other really well that coupled with the 600 Silverwing scoot I think ive got a bike for all occasions :evil
  14. UTURN

UTURN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys

Had the Sertao 3 months and loving it
    One problem I can't find a suitable place to mount my Sony with a forward view
    Don't want it on my helmet or chest, so if you have any ideas of a good mount position, let me know.

Cheers UTURN
  15. Bronson1

Bronson1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greenback Tn. near the tail of the Dragon
    If you ever doubt the Sertao has a rev limiter just try doing a good wheelie .:rofl
  16. ZBone

ZBone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got the Leo Vince and Motobatt installed last night with minimal issues. I just wanted to mention two things.

First, the bike has a great sound and it is louder than I expected. Before installing I thought I would end up removing the "dildo" from the pipe but personally I think I'd find it unbearably loud. As is it's quiet enough to leave the neighborhood in a somewhat respectful fashion, but the ability to be a hooligan is a small twist of the throttle away.

Second, for any of you that have already installed the Wolfman luggage racks you will have to remove the top two bolts on the left side rack and loosen the bottom bolt to allow it to swing out of the way. On the right side the rack can be left alone but you'll need to remove the black heat shield from the exhaust for the last half an inch or so of clearance.

Now that it's off I think I'm going to cut off the top part of the right side can (where all the mounting hardware is) and find a way to attach a tool tube to it. There's a massive void where the stock exhaust was and although that extra tank looks pretty nifty, I'd prefer a tool tube and possible Rotopax's mounted to the Wolfman racks in the future.
  17. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Water/drainage pipe with end caps and screw on lids make good tool tubes and take a beating
  18. Smallwires

Smallwires Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know as a certainty whether or not the 1200GS LED taillight assembly is a direct bolt on to replace the Sertao's? Also, can anyone speak to it's being any brighter or not? Thanks
  19. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I keep getting the itch to install the Leo, but I think back to a slip on I had for my WR250R (fmf q4). Labeled to be "quieter" but still left my ears ringing after 30 minutes around town and ended up wearing ear plugs everywhere. Oddly it wasn't too loud for those not on the bike...

Is the leo earplugs-loud?

20. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    The later 1200GS's are CAN Bus and the Sertao is not so no the 1200GS tail light will not work on the Sertao, use an LED globe, cheaper and quicker