Want to buy Heated Gear...Any advice?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Nwa300zx, Oct 2, 2012.

1. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    all heated gear is hooked directly into battery with a fuse in between of course. have never blown a fuse with top/bottom/gloves/socks all going.

controller uses pulse width modulation so full amp draw doesn't hit all at once. seldom have I used heated socks .. but use heated jacket and gloves all the time. heated pants regularly. really depends on how cold one rides...
  2. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:

I blew one on the KLR, it was a cold mofo for a while. I really dont know why it blew, gloves and jacket liner.
  3. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    At least 2 posts have suggested INSULATED heated gear. I wish I had read these before my purchase.

I have an Aerostich heated jacket (not the AirVantage like SMSpiff's). I occasionally use it alone and it's a very good wind shell with some insulating capability. And the pit zips align with my shell pit zips so I can quickly ventilate when the temps warm up.

BUT about 80% of the time that I use my heated jacket I wear an insulated jacket over it. It's all very versatile, but an insulated and heated layer would be so much simpler.
  4. bahnzii

bahnzii Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another Warm&Safe vote...but whatever you get make sure it fits snug. You want those heating elements touching you, not hovering away from you!!
  5. stevepsd

stevepsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just replaced my Gerbings microwire with the Warm-n-Safe Gen 4 jacket & wireless controller.

The Gerbings microwire has huge areas with no heated coverage, was not to much of a issue until you have a drafty jacket.

The Warm-in-safe looks to be built better, no cold spots and the wireless controller is GREAT!

Plus Warm-n-safe give a HUGE ADVRider discount as well. This is gear designed by motorcyclists for motorcyclists.
  6. bob393

bob393 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 so far!