Desert 100 ADV Class

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by SOP Dirt-Rider, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    Exactly my plans....and I'm not to proud to bail on the race, if I figure I don't belong. But I am sure I need to be ABLE to do it, somewhere in my soul :evil Mainly, my racing will just be my part to help promote the ADV class. I'll camp there too, and it sounds like they will provide a tent section away from all the big rigs, and I'll be riding in and tenting it to help keep my costs down :freaky

That trip on Barlow was my first, and I was very sorry it was on the Shadow. I have run it likely 50 times since on my 990 (probly not exaggerating too much) and it is certainly on of my all-time favorite roads for the pure fun it provides.

So....on that note....whatryadoin the last few days of May thru June 1?
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952844

:wink:
  2. SOP Dirt-Rider

SOP Dirt-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do that and you will be dealing with the 2 lappers. My plan is simple, ride and deal with whatever happens. FWIW, I make a retirement living on the bike, I'd hate to wreck my bike and have to get a job to fix it:wink:
  3. WAknobbyknuckles

WAknobbyknuckles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if camping will be in the same spot as last year for the ADV camp? Last year nobody at the gate seemed to know where that was and I ended up camping in the …well "danger zone" ha ha. At least I know to put reflector stickers on my tent when I get there now so it doesn't get ran over in the middle of the night.:lol3
  4. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was there supposed to be a designated spot for the adv crowd last year? If so I never found it! Would be cool to camp with others that are in class.
  5. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That place is such a mess it would be hard to find an ADV exclusive spot.
  6. WAknobbyknuckles

Oddometer:
    I think the ADV area was if you took a right just after you entered there was a flagged off spot for the "pig riders" with no vehicles allowed. I went left and ended up camping out by the track and whiskey.

If there isn't an area I'm about to make one, who's in?
  7. Camel ADV

Oddometer:
    Definitely in. We'll likely be there early Friday morning so can flag off an area too (assuming the SJ club is ok with that).

Cory
  8. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    I'm IN.
    Riding in and tenting it from Hood River.
    I will most likely ride in Friday,
    but *might* take extra time and WABDR it up, we'll see....

What's the mark to look for when I get there?
  9. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    There'll be a white RV.

:hide
  10. SOP Dirt-Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes, we are located to the immediate right at the entrance gate.. DS/ADV riders only. We need to ensure we have a good spot set aside for those who will be tenting and space for the classes PSSOR will be running.

11. SOP Dirt-Rider

Oddometer:
    We will have 2 PSSOR sail signs out. We are behind the large gravel pile on the right hand side just before the checkin area.
  12. One Fat Roach

One Fat Roach honey badger

Oddometer:
    I'm IN for that as well. Be riding and camping off my bike. Leaving the Ham Thursday.
  13. WSobchak

Oddometer:
    I'll bring my wife and 2 kids down in the truck with me. We'll be sleeping in a tent but are we OK to camp in the ADV area since we'll arrive in a pickup??

I'll be riding the KTm 690 enduro so I think that barely qualifies as a pig for this event. :D
  14. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    In 100 words or less.....

So is the 690 a "better" bike that the XR for this type of gig?
    Faster, more abusable, sucks up terrain, etc...
    Just totally curious, not suggesting anything.
  15. WAknobbyknuckles

Oddometer:
    Check, Hang a right after the entrance and look for PSSOR sail. Will be there friday with my little DR to join the party! Can't do the ADV class cause my bikes to small but will be there to help out with any bike issues for some friends. On the fence about the race.
  16. WSobchak

Oddometer:
    I think so?

I haven't got to ride the 690 much because of snow. Looking at the stats I think it will be. Compared to the XR650L I was riding the 690 should have more poop, much better suspenders and it weighs less.
  17. hoebster

hoebster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be taking off work on that Friday to head over. If i bring a Penske Truck with my bike and weekend crap stuffed in the back, anyone want to split costs or tag along? Yeah, I could load the Tenere down with crap and drive it, but for such a long period of time to be there the whole weekend, I want an area in the truck that might actually be dry. I can bring a grill too!!!

I am planning on DS ride on saturday only at this time. I don't want to bash the hell out of the Tenere for the ADV race. I have never done anything like that before. I will be installing Scorpian Rally on the front, don't know yet about rear tire. Would a BigBlock be good enough?

Oh, I will look to get a spot near the PSSOR ADV area as well.

Jeff
  18. WSobchak

Oddometer:
    I think the importance of your tire choice will really come down to how wet it is. I'm having a hard time deciding on what tires to ride. I have a mostly worn out rear tire that I might ride down on and then just spoon on a new dirt forcused tire at the event.
  19. Camel ADV

Oddometer:
    For most of us in this class, suspension will be the limiting factor not tires. I ran Dunlop 606 last year and it was great. I could have just as easily used a Big Block, TKC 80 or even a K60 without any issues. I slid down some greasy hills but anything short of studded would have done the same.
  20. Sethro303

Sethro303 Master of Disaster

Oddometer:
    Whichever tire you choose, plan on thrashing it. I witnessed a brand new Michelin knobbie that had entire knobs ripped off at the end of the poker run last year.