The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    water cooling is not exactly complex technology and who says it weighs more? See the Water Cooled Thread for more info....where by the way, this should have been posted.
  2. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:
    "Rear frame: can now be easily removed , and allows for different variants of the bike (note think S/GS/GSA)"

Did anyone read that CLOSELY?

'S'? As in something BELOW the GS, perhaps an enduro / HP2 style variation. . ?? Okay, I'm listening now.
  3. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
  4. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    I would think we'll get seperate throttle bodies for better throttle responce
  5. Parigi

Parigi Hoinar

Oddometer:
    I am afraid that "S" would be for Straße.
  6. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Who can read this?

... Cooled ?

[​IMG]
    Source: Motorrad
  7. Steveman

Steveman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll have cooling-issue-threads instead [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    So we'll have the Street model (which is now called the R-model), the GS and the GSA.
    Then, maybe, the GS will be "downgraded" to an even more street-oriented design than today.
    Leaving the GSA where my 2000 R1150GS is.

[TaSK]
  9. KSBEERHUNTER

KSBEERHUNTER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am looking at some of the pictures posted and I do not like what I see. Transmission gears and engine in the same case!! Bad!!. Engine block is now a throw away block. Cylinders are now cast as part of the block? No worry about having to rebuild the engine when it needs it. Just throw the block away and restart with new. I am old school and will take the older model engine that can be rebuilt and has the clutch and transmission separate. When all cars and trucks out on the highway and farm machinery etc. go to integral transmissions with wet clutches with belt drives etc. maybe I will rethink the above statement. Sounds like BMW has went cheap!. Of coarse it will cost much more and can't be worked on easily by the owner. Looks like BMW has everyone excited over the new boxer engine and such. All the while giving us something much cheaper to build while costing more. They have changed the design to sell more bikes and less parts in the future. Just doesn't appear that BMW cares about longevity. It won't be long before the boxer is gone for good. They have taken everything away that made BMW.
  10. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    I think someone mentioned throttle-by-wire earlier on. The box on the backside of the throttle body might be a throttle servo.

<BR>
  11. Dorsicano

Dorsicano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    fooled ?
  12. McFuryMcNugget

McFuryMcNugget me specie in dea ist

Oddometer:
    I dont agree with this statement.
    Its all wrong in fact this design is for a more longtivity of the engine and faster repair if the cylinders blow.

The oil for the engine an gears are as one.

In real life it works like this with oil change.
    you can drain the bike from the oil filter to leave the oil in there for the gears.

Or you can drain it from below and take out all the oil engine and gears.

The gears are the main drive system of any bike and with this its always in lube.

This is top engineering.

Gears are the heart of every motor with good gears you get high milage and many do not keep there oil level up in specs
    and it becomes a stress factor on the motor. This is now gone with the high tec motor.

The Motor
    If you make the Cylinder walls as good as BMW has done to this day the Piston rings should not need to be replaced until ??? 250.000km.

McFury.
  13. twray

twray Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So there should be only one wet head thread? Should we start having only one cam head thread or 1200GS thread?
  14. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Along with water cooling, why not go hydraulic lifters. This would all but eliminate having to go into the head for service. While you're at it, why not go with spark gap ionization for the anti-knock sensing. Oh, and get rid of the silly dual plug design and the COP design....water cooling could make the boxer a much simpler engine.
  15. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    But how will your dealer survive Def ? :lol3
  16. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    I too disagree with the above quote. If the nice graphic of the engine is accurate I am quite pleased. with the engine design. This shows the integrated transmission below the engine for improvement of C of G. The integrated engine/transmission housing, including the cylinders should drop some weight (offsets some what the increased water cooling weight). Having a shorter engine alows more design flexibility in placing it in the frame for best weight distribution.

I do not like the statement the engine is mounted more forward in the chase for more weight on the front wheel. This design is proper for street sport bikes/race bikes...is wrong for dirt bikes (remember keep the front light over gravel, etc). It clearly indicates that BMW is following the market and the real use of the GSA as a better big street bike. If so lower the height so tip toes are not needed, help the C of G,etc etc.
  17. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    There are plenty of models in the BMW lineup to keep dealers busy.
  18. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:
    You mean the GS is no longer representing the 'G' in its name? BMW caving to market sales pressure? A two-wheeled SUV of the motorcycle world?
  19. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a different situation. The V-Rod didn't replace the air cooled engine. It supplanted it. BMW isn't going to offer a choice between liquid and air cooled. You get water cooled if you want a GS.
  20. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    The new Water Boxer is a single spark plug design, not dual plugs as the cam Heads, etc now have.