BMW R1150RT / 1200RT / R1250RT Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hondo, Apr 28, 2010.

1. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    It's been a while.

Critical things have been done. Shitty footpegs are gone. Before selling me the bike, Ben said "those pegs are shitty, they need to be replaced". Alas, an inmate had some for sale for $35 shipped. Very nice Kurykans...or however it's spelled. Apparently the old owner(s) had long legs...so moved them back one hole.

Indeed, shitty. Like 8 bucks from various places.

[​IMG]

Bam!

[​IMG]

Full extension!

[​IMG]

Shitty before and shiny after.

[​IMG]

I still have the shitty footpegs if anyone in the Denver metro is dying for them. Otherwise, they can be purchased from www.shittyfootpegs.com for 10 Rubels.
  2. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:

hi there, I wasn't meaning to say it was fragile over all...just relatively fragile to a wet, oil bath clutch. I spent some time with the Portland contract mechanic when the 1150RT's were new on the scene for the PPD. Indeed, they fried many a clutch after living with the hulk like clutches from the KZ1000's. It's a car clutch and I get that. On my accord, it is going on 250k with gentle use. I expect 100k out of mine without abuse or more. With abuse...yeah, I give it less. Besides...it's a cruiser...there is no need to abuse it.

To your point about the oil leaking, that is a pain and I expect it to happen at some point. Heck, the thing is 12 years old...so things are bound to happen. Thanks for the info!
  3. KLRscoob

KLRscoob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a proper R1200RT tire looks like after chasing sportbikes all day while riding two up! This is exactly why I love this Bike! Not many bikes could handle two up in comfort all day and then dice it up with the sportbikes in the twisties!
    [​IMG]
  4. ka5ysy

ka5ysy Doug

Oddometer:
    What is fun is to pull a pass on a crotch rocket on a sport touring bike with the luggage on in 4th gear after listening to the crotch rocket shifting madly to find the sweet spot in the high end of the RPM without success . The look on their face is worth the price of the bike . Doing it two up is priceless ! God I love my RT ! :lol3
  5. roadboxer

roadboxer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just curious, has anyone mounted any clearwater lights under the oil cooler on an 1100Rt? If so have pics?
  6. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    Hey,

Been pretty active over in the Airheads group while doing a partial resto on an '89R100GS. Now that it's mostly sorted out I'm going to be riding it during the hot months while I go over my '02R1150RT. Mostly I want to bleed the ABS brakes since it hasn't been done in a few years. Probably wouldn't hurt to lube the splines as well, but first things first. The bike has 28K miles on the odo and hasn't shown me any problems during the 10K I've put on it over last few years. Can anyone here direct me to a good online procedure for doing the brakes? I've got the funnel from Beemer Boneyard that someone recommended and a couple of manuals, but I'd like to look at a FAQ or a DIY as well, if there's one out there.:deal My mechanic skills are good and I'm not fearful of trying things, just short on time like the rest of you.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Try this: http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/service_abs3.pdf
  8. Cameleer

Cameleer Back to Real Life

Oddometer:
    Hi to all, I installed auxiliary rear view mirrors on my '01 1150RT (mounted on the unused holes on the handlebar) but now they vibrate like crazy, especially the left one. Any ideas on how to dampen the vibration? (rubber or something?) thanks
  9. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sync the throttle bodies?
  10. Cameleer

Oddometer:

I feel really ignorant... How do I do that??
  11. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's probably best that you let the dealer make that adjustment for you.

Paul
  12. Cameleer

Oddometer:

I definitely will check with them on the next service, thanks Paul
  13. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    Does the vibration vary with engine speed, sort of changing in magnitude with engine rpm, or does it start about 40 mph and get progressively worse as your speed increases? If it is the former, the engine may be out of tune. If the latter, there may be vortices detaching from the complex windshield/fairing shape and hitting the mirrors. That will be a lot tougher to fix without changing the geometry of the front end.
  14. catchina

catchina 138 miles to go... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heard a rumor that BMW is about to recall all 2014 r1200rt with ESA and warning owners not to ride!
  15. bradatlarge

bradatlarge Insha'Allah

Oddometer:
    Not a rumor.
  16. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. dmottv

dmottv Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer:
    I added K12RS mirrors on mine and vibration is only an issue over 70 +/-. I have bar ends that help dampen vibes.
  18. Mirider

Mirider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have mirrors that I got from the Beemer Boneyard and have had no issues up to 80mph on my 96 1100rt. I also have bar ends.
  19. Cameleer

Oddometer:
    Also have bar ends, vibration is irrespective of speed. Any thoughts on re-installing the mirrors with rubber dampers on the bases or something like that?
  20. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the mirror (glass) itself loose in the mirror mounting? Some brands/styles of mirror are better designed and built than others. Have you tried different mirrors?

On my 1200, the mirrors mount with a special bullet-shaped socket head (allen head) nut. The 'stalk" of the mirrors are threaded with a shoulder matching the outside diameter of the bullet. I can post a picture later if you need one.

I don't know if the mirrors mount the same way on your 1150; but possibly the hardware you have is not tight enough. You might be able to put an o-ring on the threaded part or something like that.

If not, I'd go back to looking at the throttle body sync.
    5cottJohnson likes this.