60+ miles on a VFR1200...

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Unleaded, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Unleaded

Unleaded Unit Train

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much for the kind words and congrats, gents!

I'll definitely post some follow-up about the good and the bad of the bike as I accumulate some numbers on the odo. And the fuel range. That's something I'm very curious about as well.

I will say that I exchanged a few PMs with a guy on a VFR board who has racked up pretty big miles on the thing. In his experience, the mileage increased decently enough after the first 10,000 that he now gets 200 miles out of a tank regularly, and 185 when he's been doing some scratching.

We'll see if that was an isolated or exaggerated incident in approximately 8000 miles, :lol3 but I think High_Side acknowledged the same thing earlier in the thread.
    davyjones likes this.
  2. Unleaded

Unleaded Unit Train

Oddometer:
    That's how I see it too. :lol3

Doesn't matter why it's rare. It's just rare. :lol3
  3. MGN54

MGN54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So you pick up a 2010 VFR1200 w/less than 3k miles for $8k. You suck!!! :lol3 Beautiful bike. I've ridden a 2000 and a 2007 Anniversary. Liked them both. Would love to score a ride on one of these. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I've admired the lines on this bike since it came out. Guess I'm weird in that regard. I think Honda is way ahead of the 8 ball in design on this one. Probably overpriced it new but if one can score a like new preowned for 8, that would be the way to go! I hear the power is pretty intoxicating. Something about those Honda V4's that suck you in.

Will be following this closely to get more of your follow up discussion on how the bike grows on you. Congrats on a beautiful bike. Enjoy the hell out of it!
    davyjones likes this.
  4. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike! It's a gorgeous and capable machine. I love the front end, it looks purpose built and unique. Plus for the price you paid on that, you got one HELL of a lot of bike for entry level bike money.

Enjoy it!
  5. phobe

phobe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pay no mind to the haters. This is a bike that will be looked back on in a decade as a classic that was underappreciated and misunderstood.

At 8 grand you stole it.

Check my blog for mod ideas:

http://vfr1200fa.blogspot.com

I've also posted a youtube video on how to remove the fairings. It's in there somewhere.
  6. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good review and congrats on the bike! Sometimes it's good to get outside your comfort zone a bit and try something new, and obviously there was "something" about the big VFR that grabbed you, and that was sort of obvious in your first post. If it matters, I think it's a pretty cool looking bike, and at least looks distinctive. Frankly I don't like the "transformer" styling direction of any of the new BMW's, and think they're trying to corner the market in ugly motorcycles. For $8k I don't see how you go wrong with this machine, and I agree that from what I've seen the fit and finish of the VFR1200 is the best I've seen on any motorcycle, and equal to my HP2 Sport. A new K1300S will depreciate in two years what this bike cost you. You could probably ride it for five or six years and I'd be surprised if it depreciates more than $3k. Enjoy it!
  7. Unleaded

Unleaded Unit Train

Oddometer:

Wonderful blog (and video). I happened across both of them doing research on the bike after my first test ride. Nice work!
  8. Unleaded

Unleaded Unit Train

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much, and you're right: it was one of those bikes that really caught me off guard when I rode it, and I was distrustful of my first reaction to it for many reasons...not the least of which was because of wondering how I could enjoy a bike so well that has been so universally maligned. Answer? No idea. I just did. :lol3

I'm planning to keep this bike for a long while - even if there are things that end up not being great about it. Upcoming college expenses for three kids in a row will dictate that. :lol3

FWIW, the HP2 Sport is, to me, one of the most fantastic combinations of beauty, engineering and attention to detail I've ever seen. Absolutely one of the bikes I hope ride someday. Congrats on owning one!
  9. dwenglis

dwenglis Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would jump all over that bike at that price. The only used one near me is 12k!
  10. snake

snake snake

Oddometer:
    I bought this bike after having problems with my Moto Guzzi Stelvio and never looked back! It is Awesome!
  11. Unleaded

Unleaded Unit Train

Oddometer:
    If you ever have any real interest in that VFR, you'd be surprised....the dealer hasn't taken my bike off the website yet, where it's still listed for $12,900. At the time I finally rode it, the showroom sticker was marked down to $11,900. Honestly made the offer based on some private-party bikes on Cycletrader listed at around 9 grand, figuring they would counter. They just took the offer. In my neck of the woods, if it's not a cruiser (or an ATV), it doesn't sell. This thing sat on their floor for months, and with winter's approach (and the fact nobody bought these in the first place) made them pretty wiling...

There are really some great deals to be had every once in awhile, I found out, by not sharing opinions on motorcycles with the general public.:lol3
  12. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    Outstanding job! :thumb :lol3 :nod
  13. Anteraan

Anteraan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good on ya, mate! I'm glad you enjoy it. I guess you wanted to be one of those "nicest people" after all.
    The best thing for you is that, from the cockpit, you don't have to look at the (still butt-ugly) front end. Sorry, I had to. :rofl

But for what you paid, you got a lot of motorcycle, and very well done indeed. I hope you enjoy it, safely, for years to come.
  14. Unleaded

Unleaded Unit Train

Oddometer:

:lol3

No doubt about it - I try and try to think of myself as a badass...but one of my favorite bikes - if I include my riding career going back to my youth - was a Trail 90. I'm the Ned Flanders of badasses.:lol3

And no offense at all on the "ugly front end" comment! It's taken me awhile to appreciate the thing too, and it does indeed look good from the cab. :D
  15. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you're right on pricing. A lot of used bikes at dealerships are on consignment, and the dealer has nothing tied up in the bike other than floor space and they let the owner of the bike set the asking price. I would think that any VFR1200 priced much north of $10k has been sitting around for awhile, so it never hurts to do your homework and make a fair offer.

16. Unleaded

Unleaded Unit Train

Oddometer:
    Apologies for bumping my own thread - thought I'd respond to a few requests I received regarding info on fuel mileage for the VFR12. Enjoyed some decent weather in the low 50's today, but forecast is ugly, so I took the opportunity to put another 100 miles on it.

Tank was full when I picked it up from the dealer, and odo showed 118.2 on fill up. Put in 3.19 gallons...so first results are around 37 mpg. Most of that was NOT really hard riding, though I did have plenty of short runs to redline on the straights. There were probably 20 miles of "around-town", stop and go riding, and 25 miles of 80 MPH slab riding. The rest was on back roads at a mostly moderate pace...slowed in places early in the ride by wet pavement.

Didn't stop for too many pics, but did take a few at a park close to home...and a
    few more along the same deserted road along which the last pics I posted were taken. Still just smartphone pics, but lighting was better today, and I think the pics show the lines of the bike as they appear in person a little more clearly.

Bike has right at 3000 miles on it now, so hopefully the mileage will get better - or at least not decrease too much. A theoretical range of 180 isn't bad, if it holds up, IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  17. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet bike. Do they still have that lusty intake honk?
  18. Unleaded

Unleaded Unit Train

Oddometer:
    There's still a pretty sweet intake roar above 6k, but they've changed the firing order of the plugs. Opinions vary, and I really like the sound of this thing - even stock. But no matter how you slice it, the old VFRs sounded better...especially the early ones.
  19. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Much obliged for the mileage report. Glad you're enjoying her.
  20. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    What a great looking bike! The contrast between that beautiful red and the wintery looking background really makes it pop.

I've wanted one of these for a while, because I love the V4 engine. I don't really care for the chassis they put this one in however and have been holding off to see if they would expand the engine into other models.....doesn't look like it though.....so I may have to break down and look more seriously at a VFR.....