aaaaaand one more xr600 usd swap! yeah thats right!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by elsalvadorklr, Mar 21, 2012.

1. XRider

XRider Almost Lifelike

Oddometer:
    Looking good!
  2. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    thanks man!

this is how the bike stands now

I need to fix a situation and if anybody is interested in helping Id appreciate it

I have a new cometic base gasket installed and it seems to be "walking" or pushing out on the left hand side...

is there anything I can do to prevent it walking anymore? ots not leaking and not moving anywhere else...

thought id post a little query as I dont want to tear down the engine again!

thanks
  3. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:
    Now I have been convinced to do a USD swap...

My parts have arrived... :wink: Let the swap begin. :thumb

I was able to score '99 CR500 forks, wheel, axle,caliper/bracket and a triple with an aftermarket billet upper with 2 positions for the offset bar clamps for $236.50 including shipping to my door. :huh WOW...

Even better the wheel looks new(not a scratch), the tire is new and the rest of the parts seem to be in great condition also. :D

They will get resealed and fresh oil.

I still need to find out if my stem swap over is the same????

BTW I really like your new tank. I see a black one in my future. 87-95 XR250R side panels fit and get a different look. The muffler side hugs in tighter. I cut and remolded them slightly and like the look. I can get XR250R panels in black too.

Here are pic of cut panels on my XR250R with a IMS XR600R-650L 4.0 tank and seat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:beer
  4. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    hey mental nice

think your golden with the swap too

my usds came in at 217 shipped, jajaja

I gave up on sourcing the 250 sidepanels and seat it was too complicated and bulky to ship down here not to mention getting the xr250r tank

I like my setup finally and maybe all I can do to help my seat height is ti shave down an inch off the top but so far its fine

I have more race sag now both front and back

it used to be that because I was compensating for too plush and soft stock suspension that I had my preload all the way up in the back and cut springs and spacers up front...

what that did was add more seat height and only helped in whoops and landing jumps, evrything elses was bouncy and marbly as hell

I have 4 inches race sag in the back now and bout 2.5 to 3 in the front

my tell tale sign Im good is if I push down on the seat when upright I get equal compression front and back which is what you want when dialing on the suspension, maybe a bit more in the back but its soooooooooooooooooooooo compliant now yet wont bottom out.

yet!

cheers

hey any help with my gasket issue?

its bumming me out
  5. deejay_xr

deejay_xr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet deal dude! Good luck with the swap!

I can't tell you if the stems will be the same, but if someone in the "Call all XR600" topic can't tell you, you can contact these guys http://www.allballsracing.com/

They can probably help you
  6. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
    Cristian

soon , pretty soon for me also ,.

[​IMG]

Think I'm gonna go this way as far as triple's go .

[​IMG]
  7. deejay_xr

Oddometer:
    USD swaps are popping up left and right all of a sudden :lol3
  8. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    damn dudes! blinging it out! jajaja

thats awesome bigman, yeah steve says those RSW triple are the you know what so good for you

when reading up on this stuff I found out the old cr250 cr500 swaps was astraight bolt on but no upgrade by any means, they wre very crude usds

twin chambers another story

I still beleive though that the cr500 stem is the same, I dont have the details on hand but some seraches over on tt and google will help you guys out

for me I think the easiest is pressing the xr stem, some say its not the strongest solution BUT i did this out of necessity and because there is nothing wrong with the xr stem

simplicity over anything else especially when you dont have access to good stuff and parts that you can get quickly and cheaply.

anyways...

2 bushings man! thats all you need plus a press off press on scenario!

cheers dudes

glad Im inspriring people to do it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well not really just instigating! ajajaja
  9. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    hell yeah they are!

modernizing the xr gang! i love it

NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS:deal

suspension is king, much more than engine mods
  10. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks great Christain. Thanks for sharing. Maybe next year I'll be able to do this same thing for my XRL.
  11. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    sounds good taco!

if you think about it its damn cheap, about $300 for a swap...a freaking cam for example costs that plus gaskets...

better suspension=faster
    better cam=faster and faster crashes! jajajaj

later
  12. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been watching ebay a little and have decided you have to it regularly to find good deals. Otherwise you could spend upwards of $800 for a complete front end before any wrenchs are turned! I also want to keep the factory speedo.
  13. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    this is very true! you have to hunt... same with craigslist too, you have to be ready cash in hand with the amount your are willing to spend

say you want to spend max $250 for the forks, so look for buy it now options, if you dont have any popping up, place a LOW bid on forks that are being sold by bids...

the forks we got we got for $217 shipped...they are pristine, and steve as always has a system for us when buying stuff there

once we had the forks, we had to decide on wether keeping the odo drive and all, so options we had left were crf/crfx wheels...

plenty of options there,

then I told steve, hey I dont want mismatched colored wheels as I invested a lot at buchanans and excel to get the correct made to fit spokes for the front and rear...and excel black rims...sooooo

within days a black excel crf450x wheel popped up and bamn!

then steve bought an odo drive, and spacers and we were money

you cant just buy everything at one whole go, but if you are diligent anything is possible

the wheel btw was $79, black excel, yes it was nicely used BUT all I had to do was swap in new bearings(they were the originals, another good sign too) and wipe it down...

so good luck man!
  14. deejay_xr

Oddometer:
    Christian,

Am I seeing correctly that you used tie-wraps on the headlight straps because they wouldn't fit round the big USD's? :lol3

I'll be running into the same problem when I do the swap, seems like as good a solution as any :1drink
  15. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey ESK, I have a front end I am going to sell. CRF-X forks (better, don't need to be revalved), X front wheel (better), X speedo drive, axle and spacers, CRF disc, 2 CRF calipers w/mount bracket and new pads, Acerbis fork guards, and an Emig stem. Pretty much everything. If you know anyone that wants them, it will be $450 plus shipping for all. I can do finished triples also for another $125.

BP
  16. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    um you shouldnt of noticed that:deal jajaja thats the sailor in me, at least there is no duct tape(the silver tape) on the bike

Im pretty sure I can find some straps that fit the cr forks and headlight

the thing is I paid top dollar for OEM replacement straps less than a year ago...theye were 25 a peice

so zipties it is

another good use for ziptes which I dont have a pic yet is to use to small zipties and tie them together, align the ends so that they are 180 degrees from each other and use them to keep the fork skins in place..snd the sliders away..

the ends with a little extra tip helps keep the sliders from rubbing on the fork skins and upper tubes, just like the fancy expensive ones they sell online...

the ziptie not only keep the fork skins in place but they prevent chafing

jajaja
    tip no.2

cheers

p.s.if you do use zipties may I suggest BLACK? jajaja I was too lazy
  17. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    damn

where where you a month back? jajaja

well maybe someone down here would like a setup

thats a great deal

damn If i had another bike to restore and upgrade this would be it!

check mcma111(steve) hes always wanting spares to trade and or sell

cheers man
  18. deejay_xr

Oddometer:
    That's what I was thinking :lol3

Bought a batch of 300 medium size black zipties the other day, since I'm always running out if I buy them in the 50 piece packets :evil
  19. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:

This is what I all scored for $236.50... :D

[​IMG]

Thats a brand new Dunlop GEOMAX MX31F tire and has new EBC brake pads.

:beer
  20. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    well

you beat me then.....cant win em all

although I do have a black excel wheel, top that! jajaja

kidding

looks awesome

how are the internals?

Im so happy mine are pristine

still had the stock oil, seals, everything