9 Horses of Fury...A Zuma 125 on the Loose

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cbolling, Feb 18, 2011.

1. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
  2. 6gun

6gun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kinda off topic but as I type I am sitting in Iraq trying to figure out what scoot to purchase when I get home. Ran across this thread and being from Pickens/ Six Mile area I recognized all but a couple of your photos. Thanks for giving me a little ride around home this evening! I can't say how much that helped. :cry
  3. cbolling

Oddometer:

Glad I could help.:lol3

And Thank You for helping all of us. :devildog
  4. cbolling

Oddometer:
    So next week the wife and kids are heading to the beach. That leaves me with a free weekend. I have this crazy idea of riding the Zuma from upstate SC to the Dragon and back on Friday the 5th. I have never been but Google Maps says that is about 160 miles. Of course this would be almost all mountain back roads. Am I crazy for trying this on the Zuma or should I just take the Honda Shadow and not worry about it?

I would rather not spend the night since I will be leaving the dogs at home.
  5. 6gun

6gun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's going to be a LONG ride in a day, especially on a scooter, Me and my son rode from Dragon across thru Gatlinburg, Cherokee and then on to Seneca and it was an all day affair. Those 160 miles are alot to cover on those roads, but worth every inch!
  6. Reconstructed

Reconstructed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you can keep rolling, you should be able to do it in about 4 hours, maybe a little more. On the rare occasion when I get out for an early Saturday morning ride, I can cover 100 miles in about 2 1/2 hours, just steady riding. If I were you, I'd leave about four in the morning, get there just as every one else is waking up, have several hours of fun, then head home.

Looong days ride, but definately worth it to me!
  7. cbolling

Oddometer:
    Ooops, let me clarify my post. It would be 160 miles each way.
  8. Reconstructed

Reconstructed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You said you have a free weekend, right?

I agree it would be a long day on a scooter, but possible. It would make for a really nice two day road trip though.

I'm jealous because I'm about 240 or so from Deals Gap, but can't get away for the weekend...
  9. D0N

D0N Banned

Oddometer:
    Whip out your calculator. 320 miles divided by 40 mph (average) = 8 hours. You probably won't average 40mph so it'll be even more time. You don't want to stay over night because of the dogs so, no, you can't comfortably make this trip in one day.
  10. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand about the dogs, mine me everything to the wife. :D Do you have no relative or neighbor that you can impose on for a day... feed them good before you leave and have them feed the next day in the morning and you get home in the afternoon??
  11. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's some great roads closer to you than Deals Gap. There are some great roads near Highlands, NC. You could ride to Highlands on some great roads, ride the area, and return home easily in a day. Besides, Deals Gap on a weekend will be a slow ride. Lots of slow moving traffic and cops. Also, this time of year, the high altitude of the Highlands area will be much cooler.
  12. cbolling

Oddometer:
    Yep, plenty of great roads in the area but I have never been to the dragon and really want to go.

Certainly would be more comfortable on the Honda Shadow but taking the Zuma just seems like more of an adventure.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    If you really want to go, then go for it - and take the Zuma, it will be much more of and adventure. When you Deals Gap, you will most likely be the only one there on a small scooter. Take the cruiser and you'll just be one of a hundred or so.

What route were you planning on taking?
  14. cbolling

Oddometer:
    Not sure about the route yet since I still have a week. I am thinking 178 to Rosman and then 64 to Franklin and then 28 the rest of the way.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    That would be a great ride. 64 between Rosman and Franklin tends to have a lot of slow traffic but you won't be going that fast on the scooter and it is very scenic especially between Highlands and Franklin. 28 is a fantastic ride and most of the people I know prefer it to Deals Gap. Another option is to head over towards Seneca and pick up 28 and follow it all the way. Either way is a great ride.
  16. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    A 320 mile day won't be bad. I've done a little over 400 miles in a day, close to 500 on my Elite 150 before. You may get a little uncomfortable after hours on the road, but just suck it up and ride and you'll have a great time.

The scoot will be a blast on the twisty parts, and cops won't notice you as much as on a motorcycle:evil. But yes the Shadow will be far more comfortable and easier. It just depends on how you feel. I would way rather take my Shadow on a long ride, as I can comfortably cruise at high speeds since it has nice tall gearing. The scoot is great but on the open road it feels like its out of gear.

Just depends on what you want to do.
  17. cbolling

Oddometer:
    So I went to the Dragon of Friday. Up until Thursday night I was still leaning towards taking the Zuma, but Google Street View changed my mind. Hwy 28 had a few sections that looked like a regular highway and would require a little more speed then the Zuma can provide. I wanted to scope out the area and maybe I will take the Zuma next time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ended up riding almost 400 miles and being gone for about 12 hours.
  18. cbolling

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. cbolling

Oddometer:
    I also decided to mount up a couple of farkles that I recently ordered.

The 1st one is a Ram mount idea that I stole from AngryScot. (Thanks!!!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This works great and is an awesome place to mount a GPS. I like it so much that I am going to order another one for the right side.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  20. cbolling

Oddometer:
    So Saturday the 6th was an exciting day in the life of the Zuma. It was stolen :eek1 and then recovered my the police.:clap

We are renovating our house so I had the scooter parked on the street between a POD and a construction dumpster to keep it out of the way of the crew.

Around lunch time my wife is looking out the window and tells me that a couple minutes ago she saw a black guy going down the street on a scooter just like mine and that maybe I should go check to make sure that mine is still there.

I live on a pretty safe street so I was not really worried but I walked down to the street to look anyway. Well CRAP the Zuma is gone.:eek1

Laying on the street in front of the area that my scooter was in was a new bicycle.

[​IMG]

So I run back into the house and grap my car keys. I take off down the street and my wife calls the cops. When I get to the end of the street I have to make a decision about which way to turn. I chose the wrong way.:huh

Anyway, I drive around for a few minutes and come back to the house. The cops are already there talking to my wife. We give them the info about the Zuma and they call it in. In just a couple minutes they get a call from another cop less then a mile from my house saying that he has just rolled up on a black guy pushing a blue Yamaha scooter down the street.

So the guy sees the the cop pulling up on him and walks into the nearest driveway like it is his house. When the cop doesn't leave be puts the kickstand down. :lol3:clap and tries to act cool. Then he takes off running.

Didn't get all the details but they used K9's to catch him.