New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Uller

Uller Done with this BS

Oddometer:
    I can see those. :eek1 :D

That sucks.....

You know, I was impatient and didn't want to do the Renazco wait so, I went with a Corbin a few years ago. At first, I kinda liked it. It was definitely better than stock. Then, maybe not so much. However, it is growing on me again. I just have to remember to sit on the back cushy portion on longer sections and life is good.

A big bonus, It has an aftermarket seat pan that is very strong. (It is noticably heavier than stock though.)

Maybe an option to regularly purchasing factory seats that only end up breaking on you.
  2. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    Just checking in. No progress on any projects right now. Life is getting in the way and every vehicle I own needs to be repaired so that the 690 waits patiently for the teardown and I don't get to ride much :cry. Ordered parts for the sprinter yesterday and today I'll work on Saab #1. Might get out for a ride on the Berg tomorrow...after I replace the rear brake light.

I did get to play on 4 wheels last weekend:

Codrove with Greg Healey in his 1978 Datsun 280Z car...won the group 5 class on Friday and Saturday...12th overall out of 20 or so cars in regional on Friday and 2nd overall on Saturday...also won $600 in the Dmack tire challenge for taking 2nd.

[​IMG]
  3. Brute

Brute Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer:
    Whats the teardown in aid of Seth , a simple look see , problems from the leaking water pump seals , burning oil ?
  4. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    Bike overheated in Australia...turned out water pump seals had failed. Fixed water pump seals back in USA and then Headgasket failed when bike got warm after 60 miles of riding. Have to pull head at least, check for warpage, replace head gasket, go from there etc.
  5. rdkyote

rdkyote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nevermind... found it.
  6. Brute

Brute Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer:
    Mine did a head gasket , seems not uncommon . I`d recomend a surface grind also . No probs in the 10,000 km since doing it .
  7. Czechie

Czechie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Paul, the same just happened to me and you know what my friends told me? You are sitting on this bike too much :lol3, stand up on pegs . I even broke that hook ath the front of the seat and it does on hold any longer there and I need to tape it down. Well I will try the higher gel KTM seat and will see.

This is the price for ligher bikes, lighter materials which does not last that long.
  8. Leviathan

Leviathan Tenerider

Oddometer:
    "What'cha doing there buddy?"
    "What does it look like? Maintenance!"
    [​IMG]

Nobody said that pushing the TB back into place is a part of regular maintenance. :huh
    [​IMG]

From our last ride.
  9. Frontwheel21

Frontwheel21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just out of interest, what do you think caused the TB to get disconnected?

Something related to post #85 in this thread ?
  10. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    Yes but ...

There's also the fact that the length of my legs being what it is, there's not much difference whether I stand or I sit ... :deal

Paul Jr
  11. Beemermcr

Beemermcr Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer:
    Hi - bought a 2008 690 E from an out of state dealer; during check ride/pickup bike stalled out after 2/3 blocks:

- starts normally
    - revs normally
    - stalls at 60-90 seconds; blipping throttle will not stop stalling once it starts
    - turn off, back on and it starts fine, only to stall again after the 60-90 seconds

Bike has FMF installed, K&N air filter, handlebar mounted 3 position mapping switch, position 2

Dealer is working hard to get the bike fixed:
    - checked tank integrity and fixed a small hole by integrated mounting nuts
    - replaced fuel filter
    - replaced battery
    - cleaned dirty fuel injector

After these, bike ran well for 6 miles of a test ride then stalled and is repeating 60-90 second pattern

Ideas to be checked next:
    - re-verify tank is venting properly
    - verify all fuel hoses are EFI rated
    - check EFI regulator
    - EFI Reset procedure
    - TPS Reset procedure
    - check maps for EFI CPU and ept throttle body CPU
    - check earth connection to frame
    - check electrical connections around the throttle body and coil connections for dust fouling

Above are what I can find as causes for 690s running poorly or stalling; anything we have missed? Any ideas would be appreciated -

Thanks in advance!
    Paul
  12. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check coil connections and of course your fuel pump may be bad.
  13. Beemermcr

Beemermcr Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer:
    Thanks - fuel pump bad is added!
  14. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:

Voltage regulator issue can mirror a bad fuel pump according to some reports...
  15. Leviathan

Leviathan Tenerider

Oddometer:
    When we had the bike in pieces, I took a look infront of the airbox. I couldn't see any connectors or wires that were pushing on the airbox.
    The TB was pushed out by a backfire, though it really did sounded like a loud "pop" rather than a normal backfire.
    The bike is dead stock, with about 1000KM. So it might be a lean mixture straight from the factory. I can't really tell.
    Luckily I have another friend with a brand new 2012, so I'll probably get another chance to check it. :rofl
  16. rdkyote

rdkyote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check the overflow tubing from the top coolant reservoir. They routed that under my airbox and believe it or not, was pushing it back. Kinda like a big rubber band i guess. I rerouted it over and to the side.
  17. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    HI ALL
    can any one give me a link to a set of plug & play blinkers for my 2012

thanks mickd
  18. numbutt

numbutt john

Oddometer:
    For those punters who have considered it, talked about it, I now have the first ?? incarnation of a 690 with TWO fuel pumps [ and that is without the use of a carton of the Yank ''fix all '' JB Weld !! ]...one of which is easily serviceable. The existing pump was belatedly retained [ it was to go ] and a CW one fitted on the exterior. The bike can now be '' switched '' from one pump to the other with a toggle switch even with the engine running .......without even a hint of a dropout.
    There are many options to modification but as a first off project a lot of looking, thought and accelerated lifetime tests have slowed things. I personally don't like the suggestion to add a larger car-type pump [ the CW pumps 500ml at 3 bar and 3.52 amp draw ..no load 2 liters per min at 2.5 amps ] as from what i can see the pump is directly switched by a semiconductor in the CPU not through a relay ???....larger pumps have larger draws and larger back EMF's that could damage the semiconductor.
    Reliability was my main concern and of course not creating a mobile fire hazard.
    for those with interest i will post a number of photos which should be self explanatory not all in one lot as i am still mastering this forum ''photo add thing '''!!!
    [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]
  19. numbutt

numbutt john

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]
  20. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Numbutt-could you size you photos to next size down? It would save us having to scroll back and forth to read the text and see the details in the pics.

BTW, that's quite a laboratory you have there.