Powering farkles: Cigarette Socket with USB -

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by advFord, Sep 15, 2013.

1. advFord

advFord Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tried searching advrider for other posts on this type of product but couldn't find any. While researching affordable and simple methods to power a few of my devices (phone, camera, air pump) I came across this on ebay.

Motorcycle Waterproof USB Cigarette Lighter Power Port Integration Power Outlet for $29.

[​IMG]

Does anyone have experience with this type of device?

I found it on ebay here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Waterproof-USB-Cigarette-Lighter-Power-Port-Integration-Power-Outlet-/200963813991
  2. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Should work just fine.
  3. JM

JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depending on the type of gizmo you're trying to power some USB cigarette plug in converters may not have the amperage output you need. I know the Samsung Galaxy S4 phone and Note 10.1 tablet are very sensitive to the amperage rating of the USB port. A port with a lower than needed amperage rating will take at least twice as long to charge than the one Samsung sells specificlly for the device.

My point is all usb ports are not created equal. They will probably work but it may not work as well as you hope.
  4. purplepeopleeater

purplepeopleeater The Official VW Nut

Oddometer:
    Blueseas sells an awesome usb hardwired outlet, about $30 bucks and it puts out correct amperage, no adapter needed!
  5. advFord

advFord Long timer

Oddometer:
    The single USB is 1Amp which is all an iphone or similar will need. The cigarette socket USB adapter is 2amps which could be good for an iPad.

It's an unbranded product from China so it could be a waste of $30. Anyone else install one?

This should be able to be wired into something like a Beaver Power 3 circuit solution right? or direct into a switched circuit?

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/3_Circuit/3_circuit.html
  6. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 1 amp USB output should keep up with the phone at full brightness and also charge the phone. It just may not charge real fast. I use a 1 amp charger on my S4 and run the GPS with the screen at max with no issues.
    The waterproof cover for the USB connector isn't tethered, so that will get lost.
    There is just something about that whole thing that looks like a good thing at $15. But at $30 I would look for something else myself.
    Do you really want the USB AND the lighter plug socket?
  7. csustewy

csustewy Motojero

Oddometer:
    Given that you're setting out to ride to Argentina, I would suggest not depending on that type of charger. I left the states with a similar product - an unbranded 2-USB port adaptor that plugged into a cigarette lighter - and that thing was a piece of junk. By southern Mexico it was a chore to keep the adaptor powered, always having to flex the contact points around to ensure a good connection. Any rough or bouncy roads (and many of them were paved even) would continually interrupt power. The best decision I made was to hardwire the GPS cable, which is what I was running through that, sometimes a phone. So if you plan on charging through that USB adaptor consistently while you ride, I would not recommend it. If you just want a way to charge something on occasion, it will likely work out fine.

Just my $0.02...
  8. rustbucket

rustbucket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems like burnsmoto.com might have a few interesting options. Note that I haven't used their products, and just found them poking around looking for a similar solution.

http://burnsmoto.com/index.php

Panel mont:
    [​IMG]

SAE Option (not hard mounted):
    [​IMG]

Both available in 2.1A.

I'm currently leaning toward the SAE->USB adapter for modularity, and the ability to hook up an SAE extension cord and charge devices in my tent at night.
  9. RedFrogTango

RedFrogTango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up a Rocketfish dual USB cigarette lighter adapter from Best Buy that was supposedly rated for 3.1 amps total. It would not charge my Blackberry Bold. So I went with an external battery that has several USB outputs, including one that can be switched to 9v for charging a tablet. The battery has enough capacity (10,000 mAh) to recharge my Blackberry and Cardo blutetooth multiple times. On the positive side, I don't have to mess with connecting devices to the bike for charging. However, since the battery must be connected to 120v to be re-charged, the battery is only good for 2-3 days.

The battery I bought was about $50 and is an Astro Pro made by Anker. They make larger capacity batteries if you need more charging power.

In any event, I'm still looking at hard-wiring in a USB port as an option for powering a Spot tracker or being able to re-charge my Blackberry & Cardo device directly from the bike. If I can figure it out, then I will keep the external battery as a back-up.
  10. Unleaded

Unleaded Unit Train

Oddometer:
  11. rustbucket

rustbucket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The TAPP stuff Pashnit carries looks really nice, but it ain't cheap! The basic charge port is $50, and adding a cable for a GPS brought that up to 75! Ouch.

I'm not saying their products aren't worth it over the long haul, but it's a high cost of entry...
  12. FatBob

FatBob Don't want a pickle Supporter

Oddometer:
    This one works well. Two amps power available when using just one port or 1 amp to two ports.

[​IMG]

Can be found HERE