Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
  2. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    $105 seems pretty reasonable for a bottle designed to carry only finest di-hydrogen monoxide tapped from the purest artisan wells.
  3. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    butbuttbutt its not a FIXIE! its got that messy CHAIN!!!!

I woulda figured for sure it would be a belt drive affine (internal) system or something.

TruVativ(SRAM) has a new crankset "HammerSchmidt" with front internal planetary gearing so a rear hub shifter now gets you 2xN instead of just N gears. you get a 1:1 'normal' gear (22 or 24 teeth), and a 1:1.6 'overdrive' (equivalent to 35 or 38 teeth). apparently its shifted by tapping a button where the bottom bracket axle cap normally is. For $14K thats the kind of technology I'd expect, combined with a belt drive.

p.s. anyone who's watched Zooey Deschanel's hilarious new TV comedy "New Girl" *will* snicker at the name HammerSchmidt :)
  4. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    Put a dollar in the douche jar.
  5. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:

:lol3

I *love* that show. "Jess" even drives a vintage Volvo 145, how cool is that?
  6. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    so... I'm probably going to swap my rear derailleur for a little bit better one (Altus -> Alivio). man, I miss those old Suntour deraillleurs which had a gap in the backing plate so you could just hook the chain around the chain wheels.

Should I A) punch and split the chain, then reassemble it, or B) take the chain wheels off the derailleur and reassemble it around the chain? I'm kind of leaning towards B) although I realize that means taking /both/ derailleurs lower cages apart.
  7. Ridge

Ridge Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    Continental rim cement... it's not just for your tubulars any more! :lol3 (and yes, I do own a KLR...)

[​IMG]
  8. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    Not to be picky, but the Hammerschmidt shifts with a typical thumbshifter.
    Schlumpf has the button.
  9. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    how do they route the cable? on the NDS of the bottom bracket?

I'm getting annoyed at SRAM's webpile, there's a distinct lack of technical info on there, that or I haven't found it. Nothing like Shimano... http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp
  10. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not new, BTW. And, not a bolt-on. It takes a particular mount, to make it work. I'm not up on the how-to of it, but, do know that many DH frames are available with HS mount. Also, that dude isn't cheap. :evil
  11. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    There is a stationary piece that mounts to the ISCG mount (your frame needs one to mount it). It has a cable coming out of it.

They are really cool, cost a bit and are kind of heavy. There are constant rumors of them discontinuing them.

You are right, their site does SUCK!

Manual
  12. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    My buddy at work hates cyclists and never misses an opportunity to give me a hard time. When I submitted a short write-up to this site regarding my weight loss, health changes and my recent brevet, he suggested that no one would read it.

So, we did what any good friends would do: we made a bet. :evil

It's simple: if I can get 100 thumbs-up by Monday morning, he'll donate $50 to the charity of my choice. Actually, we'll do it through a work foundation which will match it so technically, it'll be $100. My mother died of complications from Alzheimers so you can guess the charity of my choice.

If I don't get the 100 thumbs-up, I'll make the same donation to the charity of his choice.

May I ask for a favor? The article is here. If you have a second, please visit the site and if you like the article, hit the "thumbs up" at the bottom of the page. You don't have to register and there's nothing in it for me other than a bet between friends.

Thanks!
  13. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    phew. longest ride yet since my foot injury. a hair short of 16 miles, culiminating in climbing the 260 foot in .7 miles hill I live on. average grade is about 7%, but stretches are more like 10%. hair raising because the shoulder is zero width, the white stripe is *it* for some stretches, with blind turns, and cars going 50+ in a 30 turns to 35 zone.

anyways.... I *did* it, with just a couple brief stops at pullouts to catch my wind (ok, the first one to readjust my front derailleur as it was rubbing a bit in granny, the 2nd to roll up my pants cuffs as they were rubbing againstt he stupid kryponite cable I carry but haven't used yet cuz I'm not stopping when I'm riding...)

route: http://goo.gl/maps/bESZV

yeah, yeah, another 'there and back'. the route is *so* scenic, and avoids dealing with traffic.... at least I didn't drive my bike down and back up the hill I live on :ricky
  14. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Good job pierce!
  15. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:
    Shit I'll do it just to piss off a hater.:lol3
  16. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    yeah, me to. haters suck. :ricky
  17. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I'd been slacking since I realised my bottom bracket might be going out. Car died tonight after work. Left it, got a ride home from a co worker.

Guess I bike to work this weekend. Bike apathy solved. :evil
  18. Ridge

Ridge Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    Done K7, good luck with the bet! Haters gonna hate no matter what. :lol3
  19. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:
    One more Like, Gerry. I hope you win the bet, and get your hating coworker into riding!
  20. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb