The Africa Twin XRV650 & XRV750 thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by iswoolley, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Hiya spot,

...and welcome to the padded ward.

I'm a Transalp/AT guy in the US so the UK problems might be a bit different. You might also check with the guys at xrv.org.uk for a better idea of how things are in your part of the world.

Basically, the CDI boxes seem to be a chronic problem on this entire line with useful life at about 25000 to 30000 miles before problems start. There is some luck with repair but replacement (and carrying a spare for trips) seems to be the common wisdom.

The clutch is no real problem to rebuild but while you're there consider replacing the oil pump drive chain. It tends to slacken with higher mileage and has no tensioner. It's also cheap to replace. If you haven't done a clutch before, search this site and others for assistance. The main problem here is holding the clutch backet still while you loosen the big nut. Do not pry against the six protruding studs in the basket or you will break them off.

The UK bikes seem to have corrosion problems particularly with the alyoomineeum (your pronunciation) rims. This should be apparent looking closely at the spoke holes or the valve stem hole. It will look like the metal is bubbling or chiping. If suspect you might consider pulling a tire off to have a peek inside the rim. Many riders have replaced rims in the UK.

Same thing goes for rear suspension linkage bearings. They are subject to salt and water corrosion and damage. They can be replaced but are somewhat expensive.

Make sure both fuel sensors are functional. The yellow light sensor tends to fail when riders allow this light to remain on for long periods of time.

That's all I can think of. On the whole they are very reliable and beautiful bikes.

Photos would be fun. Good luck,
    Ray
  2. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
  3. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Greg

See, photos ARE fun.

Where do you find all these......that Rothmans bike has me drooling in my sleep

Ray
  4. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Don't know if I posted these before, but here goes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
  6. dmckiwi

dmckiwi Louder is always better

Oddometer:
    emmmmmmm................to pimp out my @ or just buy a 690 when they arrive, decisions decisions.
  7. Flying*D

Flying*D Nobody can stop us..

Oddometer:
    This is Italy, I know my country.. and I know this bike:evil was posted some pages ago with a Dakar look... right now the engine went from a 750cc to an 840 to a 900... this is the last I know... They even took it to the Erzeberg rodeo last here (this year again), quite a machine:clap:clap
  8. Krautbikeman

Krautbikeman Failed Anger Mgt #$%@#$%^

Oddometer:
    My wish list has grown so large, I must consult with my Advrider brethren for help.

I need chain and sprockets for my 98 @. It's currently running 16-44 gearing and I want to lower revs for cruising speed. I was thinking 17-42 or 17-40. So with that in mind, anyone running that combo currently, and if so, who did you get them through so I can contact them? Steel sprockets only. :nod

Who's sorted their jetting for use at sea level and what were your settings? Bonus points if you are running a K&N air filer and stock airbox. :deal I'm planning to change the OEM silencer with an aftermarket slip-on ONLY. US exhaust distributors don't have crap to fit an @, so I'm looking for something basic (alu. preferred, maybe titanium, no carbon fiber). Suggestions for something mainstream so I can service it if need be?

Anyone have a Honda OEM parts connection that they wouldn't mind sharing? English-speaking would be helpful. :deal Bonus for countries that don't have an unfavorable exchange rate vs. the dollar. :lol3 I have boxes of spares but have found a few things that I still need to stockpile.

Anyone have an unmodified centerstand for an RD07 that they don't need? I can use it.

Crashbars other than Touratech, GIVI, or the crap kind that are presently on mine (I have no idea whose brand are on mine as they came with it when I bought it four years ago).

Thanks!

[​IMG]
  9. Papa Pete

Papa Pete RIDES RED

Oddometer:
    Go on fleabay and look for a.t. exhaust. Thats where I'm going. Learn to speak german, as you will get better pricing than from our UK brethern.
    There is another thread here with info for sprockets. The crash bars look a lot like sw.motech. Check www.twistedthrottle.com for parts your looking for. Send me an e-mail. I have a program with part numbers and can point you in the right direction.
  10. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    I run 17 -45, drops the revs about 3-400rom at 100km/h, anything taller and 1st gear gets to be a pain.

re jetting, drill a few holes in the airbox, slip on muffler, go up 1 size on the mains and it should be fine
  11. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
  12. Flying*D

Flying*D Nobody can stop us..

Oddometer:
    Do you have the brand Leovince in the US? if so, they make a really good slip-on in aluminium with a removable Db killer.. you may look as well for a used model, the X3, you can find it standard or racing..
    The new model is this one

[​IMG]

And this is the X3...:wink:

[​IMG]

For the sprocket, if you make a search there's a post of a guy that made the change to a 15/41 or 16/41 and he posted his impressions..

Personally I have been running on a 16/43 (by mistake, previous owner did it and didn't tell me) and compared to the standard 45 I could run 800 rpm lower .. 170 kmh I was at 7200 rpm instead of the usual 8000/8100..

Now I am running on a 16/47 and it's really another bike, I lost around 800 rpm but it goes like hell:lol3 probably I'll switch to a 46 when I'll need to change the chain (4/5000 km more)..
    It doesn't consume much more, with the 16/43 I was around 17.5 km/lt and now 16 km/lt... can live with that...
  13. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    more italian At piccies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    and some more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Papa Pete

Papa Pete RIDES RED

Oddometer:
    Hey A.T. USA riders I'm going to mid-Ohio vintage motorcycle days and Honda home coming on my @ The dates are July 27th to 29th mid-Ohio race course and Honda home coming July 27th to 28th. Not to far off and lots of fun. So how about it any one want to wave the gray market flag at Honda coming with me?
  16. Jim Rowley

Jim Rowley Rise above

Oddometer:
    I have so many things going on at once, it's frightening. I just passed Mid-Ohio last Tuesday on my way to Syracuse. Good timing, huh?:lol3

Jim.
  17. SennaSixty8

SennaSixty8 uber moto abuser

Oddometer:
  18. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    Italian AT club competeing in the Erzberg enduro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Krautbikeman

Krautbikeman Failed Anger Mgt #$%@#$%^

Oddometer:
    :thumb

That was a good tip, and at least two have been sold since you posted. :deal They have several more. :nod
  20. SennaSixty8

SennaSixty8 uber moto abuser

Oddometer:
    I'd like to see some pics!!! :evil